Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Madden 14 (Well, actually it's Madden 25)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

adrian522 wrote: »
    Why do you say it looks better? We really know nothing about either machine at this point.

The problem is that the xbox release was very american centric. There is a massive thread on the xbox thread with some very good posts with people with the tech knowledge and gaming journos. There is a lot of ****e too but the mere fact that all the indy games developers are now flocking to ps4 is not a good sign

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Why do you say it looks better? We really know nothing about either machine at this point.

im gona be honest iv looked into it a bit but buddies in the know that have looked at it long and hard and heard some insider info seem to believe that the xbox is basically a skybox with games thrown in but the ps4 is a proper console

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

nerd69 wrote: »
    im gona be honest iv looked into it a bit but buddies in the know that have looked at it long and hard and heard some insider info seem to believe that the xbox is basically a skybox with games thrown in but the ps4 is a proper console

Right, I might wait for some actual info rather than this "insider info" which sounds a little suspect to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Right, I might wait for some actual info rather than this "insider info" which sounds a little suspect to say the least.

Realistically, they're going to do the same thing. The nfl thing might be a kicker for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭giffney1991

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Realistically, they're going to do the same thing. The nfl thing might be a kicker for me.

Absolutely, I prefer the Xbox but both do the job! NFL would be brilliant but odds of European launch...fingers crossed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Anyone else as excited as I am that Dublin is one of the cities you can relocate to?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

tgdaly wrote: »
    Anyone else as excited as I am that Dublin is one of the cities you can relocate to?

I think it's great.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/22/madden-25-will-let-you-move-to-17-different-cities-revive-histo/?a_dgi=aolshare_facebook
    In Madden 25's Connected Franchise career mode, players can take on the role of team owner and perform a number of new tasks, including relocating teams to new cities. Madden's Creative Director Mike Young told Joystiq today that the mode is designed to limit the franchise relocation option to 17 different markets. The 17 cities include Brooklyn, London, Dublin, Toronto, Mexico City, Los Angeles, Austin, Columbus, Orlando, Portland, Oklahoma City and Memphis.

Additionally, some locations with an already-established NFL presence can receive a second team, such as Chicago and Houston. Players will have the option to retain their team name, logo and uniforms when moving or select from three different preset options for each city, including the Brooklyn Beats. The mode also grants players the option to reboot now-defunct teams from the NFL's history, such as the Columbus Panhandles, London Monarchs or the Houston Oilers. Players can opt to turn off the team relocation feature, disabling the option entirely.

EA Sports provided us with a new trailer for the game in which Young discusses the move from Madden 13's Connected Careers mode to this year's Connected Franchise mode. Madden 25 will launch August 27 for PS3 and Xbox 360.

Nice to see simple things that will improve the game such as the transaction log in it too.

I can't wait for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Justin10

It depends really, it was a pain to relocate teams before.
    Really bad logos and made no difference to the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

That's class that they have Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭Guffy

I can see the headline on day one of the new season....

'32 NFL teams relocate to Dublin, Guinness sales expected to soar'

• Advertisement

I never played Madden when relocation was an option before, but based on the article above it says you can keep the original logos and stuff, but there's an example of one of the different logos (the Brooklyn Beats) below. I think it's going to be good.

From what I have read, you have to have a bad record and bad fan happiness before the league will let you consider moving, so it brings some sort of realism to it. It'll help small market teams increase their revenue and make themselves more attractive to free agents and as a trade option for players too.

You can also upgrade or rebuild the stadium.

There's a lot more detail about it here:

http://blogs.thescore.com/franchisemode/2013/05/23/madden-25-lets-you-to-relocate-your-franchise-to-these-17-cities/
    Today we’re gonna take a look at relocating your team in Madden 25’s Connected Franchise mode. Moving your franchise is a big decision and it’s not an easy task to do. Sometimes things just don’t work out in your current city (no funding, small market, etc), so moving the team is the best option.

Before we begin, I should note that your team needs to be really bad before you can just up and move. Your record has to be bad, and the Fan Happiness level has to be low. So teams like the Green Bay Packers and the New England Patriots that have deep rooted ties to the city and are continuously successful probably won’t have the option to move. Teams like the Jaguars, Browns and Raiders have a better chance to move.

You’ll need to create yourself as an owner, then select “relocate”. Once there, none other than ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter questions your motive for moving, asking “You’ve been a highly successful businessman, and now you own a BFL Franchise, what’s the next step for you and this team?”
    You then can pick from three answers (subject to change):

“I’ve had a lot of success and now I want to have fun and give back to these fans and provide them with a great experience every Sunday.” TICKET PRICE – Per Win +2%/Per Loss -5%

“Part of being good at business is surrounding yourself with smart people, so that will continue to be priority A. We’ll build a continual winner from the top down.” TEAM SUCCESS – Per Win +2%/Per Loss -5%

“Business to me is turning a profit, so I want to make this franchise the one everybody thinks of first when they think of the NFL.” TEAM SUCCESS – Per Super Bowl Win +2%/Per Playoff Missed -5%

Depending on the answer you choose, you’ll hear back from the league, whether you can move or not. Here are the cities you can move to (subject to change):

09385dd9b74206dc7778d3aaef307a2a.png
    2387616bc8f4b6df63ab0eb05a666b71.png

madden25_relocatescreen.jpg

madden-25-owner-mode-7.jpg

The connected franchise mode looks a lot tidier too, there's a few links here with some screenshots and information etc which are worth checking out:

http://www.easports.com/madden-nfl/news/article/connected-franchise

http://www.easports.com/madden-nfl/news/article/owner-mode

Information on audibles:

http://mymaddenpad.com/2013/05/28/madden-nfl-25-quick-hits-formation-audibles/
    In my article below I talk about how the Audible system was in when I played it in early May and how it was explained to us in February. Shortly after the article was published I was in deep conversations with community members who liked it and some that didn’t. I mentioned in my article that I felt a better system was for them to audible by personnel and not by formations and passed that information on back when I was in Orlando giving feedback. While I understand that it would stop people from audibling from 5 WR to Goaline, it would also limit the offense and keep them in the same formation. Well after writing the article and discussion with the community on my Twitter (@Shopmaster) I was contacted by EA SPORTS on some of the changes that have been made since I played it in May.

1. The audible system is now based on personnel and not formations. Meaning if you are in a Weak I formation you can audible to a Strong I formation. You can audible (shift) to any formation that contains the same personnel grouping that’s currently on the field that is in your playbook. When you hit audible it will look like this above the top < Singleback – Normal >

2. You can only set audibles to plays that are already in your playbook. So you don’t have access to all of the plays in that formation from other playbooks. (Another reason why I think Custom Playbooks will be a big deal this year.)

3. Also heard that you can set quick audibles in-game. I’m not quite sure how this works but I was told that while playing someone you can set any of the quick audibles for your formations without hitting the pause button. There was a way to do this on the PS2 and XBOX, forgot what version. I’m sure someone will remind me.

4. Same rules apply to the defense. No audibling from Nickel to to 4-3.

Here’s the situation, it’s 3rd and 6 and your opponent comes out in a Shotgun Gun Tight with 4WRs and 1RB in the backfield lined up beside the QB. You stop him short of a 1st and instead of him kicking it, he goes into a hurry up and instead of coming out in Shotgun Tight again, he comes out in a Goaline formation by making an audible before he gets to the line. It’s things like this that really frustrate the hardcore simulation guys and it’s obviously something that EA plans on addressing.

In a meeting with Developers in February, it was indicated to me that EA wanted to stop those kinds of “Shenanigans” and made a statement of “That doesn’t happen in the NFL, it shouldn’t happen in Madden.” To address that situation as well as the ability to audible from a spread formation to one that puts a WR at TE, EA is getting rid of the 5 audibles that you set up for your playbook. Now I know what your thinking …. but let me finish. No longer will you be able to pick a playbook and set your 5 offensive audibles like you have done in previous Madden NFL games, but instead you’ll be able to set up specific audibles based on your formation.

In real life, coaches call plays based on personnel and that’s what EA wants players to do. They want more realistic play calling and more realistic audibles being called.

While playing Madden NFL 25 in early May I dove into how this system worked first hand and it worked as expected. Each formation had their own set of audibles you can audible to within that formation. How to set up your audibles is easy too. You would go into the ‘Coaching Options’ under the ‘Customize’ tab and then you go to ‘Customize Playbooks’ which will allow you to update audibles and plays for all playbooks. From this screen you’ll be able to create a playbook or edit an already existing playbook. If you go to the audible tab you’ll see the formation in a big screen that shows you the personnel with 4 audibles for that formation on the right side. Pressing the confirm button takes you to a screen where you can replace one of the audibles with any of the plays in the formation. It’s still unclear if all the plays in that formation will be available or just the plays from that formation in that playbook.

This can be done for your created playbooks as well. This is going to create a plethora of new schemes and unique schemes out there in the Madden Community as well as stop some of the “shenanigans” we’ve been seeing online. I think being able to set your own custom audibles for formations will increase the amount of players using the custom playbook feature. I wish I had some screenshots to show you guys cause I think it would really show how this featured was laid out and how efficient the process is.

I like this way of doing formation audibles a lot, but next year I would like it to be expanded to personnel, not just formations. Meaning if I come out in a Strong I Close, I can audible to a I Form Normal. I believe that would make this system even better and be like it was on PS2 and XBOX.

Theory: I didn’t get to test this out but from just logistic point of view, it would be beneficial if you set up a custom playbook and used that in your CFM. This way if you wanted to change, you could just theoretically change the plays in the csutom playbook and they will reflect in CFM. If you have or are in multiple CFMs, then I suggest creating a custom playbook for each CFM, so if your scheme changes in one you can change the plays in that playbook and it won’t affect the other Connected Franchises.

Also, blocking has been improved:

Spoiler, it takes the dude a staggering 1:55 to actually talk about the changes.

Some details from the Madden podcast with Creative Director Mike Young:

http://blogs.thescore.com/franchisemode/2013/06/03/21-new-details-about-the-upcoming-madden-25/
    • The Presentation playbook went away this year, but that doesn’t mean the team hasn’t been working hard on it.
    • Year 2 with Nance and Simms adds more depth in commentary, especially in career mode, more details on that at a later date.
    • Replays feel more human, varied and specific to the types of plays. Using real cameras, from the real locations in the stadiums (framing, timing, etc.)
    • New animated tickers, banners, feels more like a broadcast.
    • Added more team chants, first down and stadium sounds, since they went to many stadiums with Jim and Phil and grabbed live recordings.
    • More authentic tracks from various stadiums. Redone referee audio.
    • If you move your team, commentators will talk about that.
    • New sideline reporter has been added, will talk about that later.
    • Adam Schefter is still in the virtual news feed, breaking story lines, but he has also been added to the draft commentary.
    • When the draft is running, Trey Wingo is the host and Adam talks about the outlook and expectations of the player.
    • Brand new branching story lines for 30 draft classes and Adam made them sound authentic. Adam has been signed for a couple of years.
    • Can’t place players on the PUP list. (Injured reserve IS STILL in the game)
    • Owners can’t bid for Super Bowl hosting.
    • Overhauled Connected Franchise website, much more functional with tutorials.
    • Commissioner tools haven’t been locked down, so they couldn’t announce any of them.
    • Facial scans were made for most of last year’s rookie class (roughly 20 didn’t get in) All starting QB’s and some QB’s that could see some time.
    • Also ran facial scans for coaches, in total close to 100 facial scans made it in.
    • Players get scanned if they are available at events (for example the Pro Bowl) some simply don’t want to. Basically EA gets what they can, when they can. It’s not as easy as people may think it is.
    • They have tweaked the Zoom camera, didn’t mention any other cameras.
    • There is no PC version of Madden NFL 25.
    • Head coaches, head trainers, head scouts and owners will be featured in story lines, not coordinators.

Don't forget that on Monday at 9pm GMT is the EA press release that will show us game action of Madden 25!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Lovely, more Phil Simms commentary. "That was a running play, nothing like it". Any other pearls of wisdom there Phil?

I've been struggling to find much about Madden from E3 on the current gen consoles, but Pasta Padre has played it. This is what he had to say:
    One full game of Madden in and I really like the feel of it. A bit slowed down, physics cleaned up, running game really satisfying. They don't want much video of it taken this year. I think it would actually show well in videos though. Saw good things in oline blocking, dbs playing and picking off ball naturally, pocket collapsing, zone-read fun. Good signs at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭giffney1991

I think, from what I've seen, I might have to go PS4 route, it's just....better...

I think, from what I've seen, I might have to go PS4 route, it's just....better...

I seem to be getting drawn towards the PS4 myself mate. I'll probably wait to see if the NFL/NBA features on the Xbox One can be used in Ireland. That, along with seeing what my mates and fellow gamers go with, will influence my decision.

Either way it's extremely unlikely I'll be picking either up at launch, so I'll inevitably get to try each console out before deciding for definite.

This will be released on PS3/Xbox 360 though. Game will be out in September well before the new consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Justin10

I noticed Adrian Peterson is on the cover for the PS4 version.
    Im not sure which to get the PS3 or PS4 version.

I think if GTA is not out for PS4 ill stick with the 3

• Advertisement

I'll be getting Madden 25 for the 360 for sure, and then at the moment it looks like I'll get a PS4 around launch and could be persuaded to get the next-gen version if it's significantly better, which I doubt it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭guns4all

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I'll be getting Madden 25 for the 360 for sure, and then at the moment it looks like I'll get a PS4 around launch and could be persuaded to get the next-gen version if it's significantly better, which I doubt it will be.

Same kinda thinking as myself. Think the xbox1 and ps4 versions could be bad ports and probably better off waiting till the one after 25 to make the change.
    Plus not totally sold on play station network servers for reliability, we have problems with servers on Xbox, can u imagine what it's like on ps3!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

;
    Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I'll be getting Madden 25 for the 360 for sure and then at the moment it looks like I'll get a PS4 around launch and could be persuaded to get the next-gen version if it's significantly better, which I doubt it will be.

Think I'll definitely get the 360 Madden but after that I think the best option seems to be a decent gaming pc rather than one of the new engine consoles. Is there a madden pc version? :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I bought the 360 purely for Halo. The only way ill go ps is if there is a large shift amongst here and the PFL to it, which I don't there will be

The_Gatsby wrote: »
    ;

Think I'll definitely get the 360 Madden but after that I think the best option seems to be a decent gaming pc rather than one of the new engine consoles. Is there a madden pc version? :confused:

No madden for pc any more I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Paully D wrote: »
    I seem to be getting drawn towards the PS4 myself mate. I'll probably wait to see if the NFL/NBA features on the Xbox One can be used in Ireland. That, along with seeing what my mates and fellow gamers go with, will influence my decision.

Either way it's extremely unlikely I'll be picking either up at launch, so I'll inevitably get to try each console out before deciding for definite.

only seen this now, there won't be nfl available at launch and if I have any idea how it's going for over a year if at all tbh

Some videos from E3. Bare in mind the recordings aren't the best quality and EA will still change some things.

The recorder also said this re: the Seahawks vs Vikings video:
    Footage from the very first game we played at E3. Recording was shut down after about 15 minutes - so many of the cooler moments as we started to get things figured out don't show up here (great offensive line blocking at times, running the read-option, more examples of shifty moves by running backs, a great looking interception, a few big plays down field). There is also an obvious bug with the Vikings unis that is going to be fixed.

http://www.pastapadre.com/2013/06/11/quick-thoughts-from-e3-2013-day-one
    Madden NFL 25 (360/PS3)

In the time spent with the current-gen version of Madden NFL 25 the game looked and felt great. There is a lot more to evaluating than can be accomplished with such limited exposure but what was immediately noticed was all positive. Unfortunately the lack of videos means everyone else won’t have as much of a chance to fully scrutinize what has been done for this year.

The gameplay feels slowed with player acceleration nowhere near as instantaneous as it had been but scaled to provide a feel of differentiation between players. Defensive backs play the ball more realistically and interceptions look far more natural. The physics system has been cleaned up and the awkward moments mostly removed. The defensive line collapsed the pocket a few times which was rare to see in past Madden iterations.

The running game is immensely fun now with offensive line blocking showing signs of advancement. At one point what looked like a wall of three offensive lineman drove back two defensive lineman several yards and I was able to cut through a big hole to the right of them. There probably will be head-scratching moments still with blocking but it appeared to be much more consistent and dynamic. The zone-read plays are really satisfying to use and effective if done properly. The running back (and any ball carrier) can be much more shifty and make effective cuts as player control is far more precise. There is no doubt the changes made to the run game will seriously alter the balance of my offense as it will shift back to being more run-oriented and that is a development that gets me excited.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Some interesting stuff he mentions there.I never really used TE streaks myself but I know alotta ppl disliked them.
    On interceptions I will admit if I'm following a WR/TE on a route with my guy I nearly always have Y pressed for the intercept and I like the idea if you're not gonna make you it you can flick the hit stick to knock the ball out.

Anyone played NCAA yet? If so is it any good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭tgdaly

nerd69 wrote: »
    Anyone played NCAA yet? If so is it any good?

Still waiting for it to arrive in the post. I've never played an NCAA game before this, but I played the demo for 14. Was pretty good and what you would expect, harder to defend and heavy use of option and no huddle offense. Of course it was only a demo, so I'll have to see how Dynasty mode holds up

Advertisement