Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing single pendant light with multiple pendants.

Options
  • 22-02-2013 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Looking for some advice please.

Currently in our kitchen we have a single standard pendant light fitting hanging from the middle of the ceiling and we're trying to install some more useful and attractive lighting. We like the idea of having a few lights hanging from a few points of the ceiling a bit like this

http://www.historiclighting.co.uk/product/ceiling-rose-multiple-outlet-red

Is it possible to run multiple pendant lights from the existing one light fitting?

I have found multiple outlet ceiling roses on the internet

http://www.historiclighting.co.uk/product/ceiling-rose-multiple-outlet-white

but they just seem to be a cover for some sort of a junction box?

Would I be correct in thinking that if we use CFL's or LED bulbs that as long as the total wattage of the bulbs added up doesn't exceed the single existing incandescent bulb wattage we won't need to worry about overloading the circuit? e.g. 5 x 11w CFL = 55w is no greater load than one 60w incandescent

Thanks in advance for the help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Lavcon wrote: »
    Would I be correct in thinking that if we use CFL's or LED bulbs that as long as the total wattage of the bulbs added up doesn't exceed the single existing incandescent bulb wattage we won't need to worry about overloading the circuit? e.g. 5 x 11w CFL = 55w is no greater load than one 60w incandescent

Thanks in advance for the help

No, that's not true. You can exceed the 60W.
    You need to loop a 3*1.5mm^2 from the existing light to the new points.
    As long as you use the correct size cable, the MCB will protect the cables in that circuit (even if you were to overload the circuit)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Lavcon wrote: »

You are correct if the electrical installation is properly installed and not overloaded at present.

However as the previous poster has pointed out it may be possible to exceed the existing wattage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Anyone would be dong well to overload a lighting circuit with cfl`s.

Advertisement