Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin has been ranked the fourth richest city in the world.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Agreed. Dublin has had a ban on the smokey coals being sold for years now. Vendors who sell it, and the people who burn it face very steep fines. And who can't turn on their heat and, what does that have to do with Dublin as a city? That doesn't make any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭dardhal

I guess if there is a so called "Fuel Allowance", it is because not everyone in town can afford to pay for heating fuel without:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/extra_social_welfare_benefits/fuel_allowance.html

Maybe it's the Irish media, which (as usual for media) tend to exaggerate things, but I have read quite a few news about how many people were going to be left in the cold (no pun intended) if fuel allowance was to be cut, and how many people is already going the whole year without turning the heating on, as they can't simply afford to pay the bills. By the way, I have _not_ said that I know any of such people, you will have to take the word from the "media" for that.

With regards to (smokeless) coal, that coal is nearly as environmentally friendly as "regular" coal, without much of the smoke (not surprisingly for "smokeless" and ash), but nearly as much of the rest of the pollutants. Combine that fancy smokeless coal with it being mostly used for open fires (whose usefulness / efficiency towards space heating is, to say politely, on the low end of the spectrum), and what you get is ton over ton of CO2 and other nasty combustion byproducts being thrown to the atmosphere. Fortunately, the climate in Ireland is such that wind regimes don't let smokes (coming from heating and vehicles) get stuck on top of the cities, and you can arguably enjoy one of the cleanest airs in the developed world.

Unfortunately, you seem to be completely be missing the point here. This is about a UN report saying Dublin is at the top of Europe's cities regarding quality of life according to a number of metrics, and at least two of them ("Environmental sustainability" and "Equity and social inclusion") are skewed, or completely wrong. If Dublin scores high marks for "environmental sustainability" because we are lucky enough to have so much wind that pollution is a non issue, while at the same time it uses as much land as other European capitals with three or four times as many inhabitants, we can be very happy and cheerful about it, but sustainable is not the first word that comes to my mind.

The report is crap, the results are misleading, and considering what I personally experienced while living in Dublin, they are to some extent wrong. You may think otherwise and blame me for not living in Dublin or not "experiencing it properly" (should have asked at the tourism office for a leaflet), and the only thing you can both come up with is the "smokeless coal" red herring. Indeed a shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've been around the world, and no matter what city I've been to I've always compared it to Dublin, and without fail they've come up short ~ apart from one area, and its a matter of concern to most who live and visit the city center.

Namely who abundance of addicts roaming the streets and in particular the boardwalk.

Other than that I find it hard to find too many failings in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

dardhal wrote: »
    but I have read quite a few news about how many people were going to be left in the cold (no pun intended) if fuel allowance was to be cut, and how many people is already going the whole year without turning the heating on, as they can't simply afford to pay the bills.

If the fuel allowance gets cut, that will affect people all over the country, not just Dublin. Have no earthly idea why you feel that makes Dublin in particular hard to live in.

Fortunately, the climate in Ireland is such that wind regimes don't let smokes (coming from heating and vehicles) get stuck on top of the cities, and you can arguably enjoy one of the cleanest airs in the developed world.

Ok, first you imply that Dublin is a dirty, pollution ridden cess pool, but now you are implying that we are enjoying "one of the cleanest airs in the developed world". I really do wish that you would make your mind up ! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

I have travelled quite a bit and have lived in Vancouver and Melbourne which have been voted the top 1 and 2 cities to live in the world the last couple of years. Dublin is better in my opinion its not just the city itself but the people and our culture. I wouldn't have said that a couple of years ago but living abroad opened my eyes you always think the grass is greener on the other side but its not as green as you imagine. the only bad thing is the weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

dardhal wrote: »
    The report is crap, the results are misleading, and considering what I personally experienced while living in Dublin, they are to some extent wrong. You may think otherwise and blame me for not living in Dublin or not "experiencing it properly" (should have asked at the tourism office for a leaflet), and the only thing you can both come up with is the "smokeless coal" red herring. Indeed a shame.

Indeed you should have picked up a tourism leaflet and educated yourself! Did you once visit a museum? Your posts on Dublin are claptrap, they don't make sense, you contradict yourself and you are misinformed, your assumptions about peoples lifestyles are ridiculous.

If your lifestyle wasn't good in Dublin with all that is out there on offer... it's your fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I hate Dublin. I walked from the Spire to Grafton Street the other night and in that short space of time I was injected with heroin, had all my money stolen by beggars and was beaten up by drunken louts.
    I took a similar walk in Paris recently and there were mime artists handing me roses, philosophers reading 'A La recherche du Temps Perdu' and I met the girl of my dreams.
    Dublin is a shít hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

EyeSight wrote: »
    richest i can believe. the expense of some things here...
    however i do not think this counts as Dublin being one of the best cities in the world. i find the city center lacks variety compared to other cities around the world.
    I think a lot of the people in the city bring it down the most. last tuesday i was walking through the city and in the 20 minutes i walked(about 11pm from jervis street to stephens green) i was approached by junkies who verbal abused me for not giving them money, i had 2 different drunk men yell at me, i witnessed junkies fighting, a man passed out with vomit on him and had countless "men" (really i mean college boys who had the back up of all their mates) shout abuse at me to impress their mates. This is not uncommon for me to see. And im a man in his late 20's who's fairly built. i can imagine how a girl or some tourist would feel walking through that.
    Before you give me the "this happens in every city" excuse, it doesn't. i've spent time in lots of cities around the world, lived in some famously rough neighborhoods, and never had to put up with as much. I don't think we irish can handle our drink as much as we think. And i think nothing changes because people in ireland put up with it

I find it realy strange you were abused by so many strangers in one night.

I have lived in the city centre for 8 years now and often walk around it at the times you have said, and have never been abused from anyone, never mind what you said happened to you in 20mins. Were you stopping and staring at them or something?

And all things considered, Dublin is a far safer city then most in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

CucaFace wrote: »
    I find it realy strange you were abused by so many strangers in one night.

I have lived in the city centre for 8 years now and often walk around it at the times you have said, and have never been abused from anyone, never mind what you said happened to you in 20mins. Were you stopping and staring at them or something?

And all things considered, Dublin is a far safer city then most in the world.
    as i said earlier i am not lying. i am a guy who keeps his head down, i was not staring at anyone. i find it impossible to believe you have never experienced any of this? one of our many many junkies has never accosted you for money?(for a "hostel" or "bus home to wexford") and shouted abuse at you for not giving any?

I live on one of the main city centre streets and 9 times out of 10 if i leave my apartment after 11pm i have at least one drunken idiot shout something at me or mumble it to his mates to look tough.
    again as i said, this was a more eventful night than others but it happened and i wasn't even that surprised.

as i said earlier i am not lying.

Sounds like you condensed a years experience of abuse in to one night.

When you say the city lacks variety compared to other cities, what exactly do you mean by this? This is the third time I have asked you this, I presume if you ignore the question again your posts are just unfounded spoofs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

4th, really? I mean it's an OK place but it certainly has it's failings

Productivity: questionable at best
    QOL: High
    Environment: Awesome surrounds but the city itself is filthy and not entirely pleasant, dominated by traffic choked streets, little greenery and not very pedestrian focused and friendly and then there's the weekend nights where it's a veritable no go zone. I would imagine this is also the best heading to put the junkies and scumbags that inhabit the Busara-Connolly-Boardwalk triangle.
    Infrastructure: Terrible: PT is awful, roads are crap, water infrastructure is in tatters, BB is still lagging behind and expensive, power infrastructure is good, urban sprawl is horrific, plenty of museums and tourist stuff, port is badly sited
    Equity: Negative :pac:

Personally I hate the CC and inner city but like a lot of the suburbs and surrounds, don't think it's really 4th in the world though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Environment: Awesome surrounds but the city itself is filthy and not entirely pleasant, dominated by traffic choked streets, little greenery and not very pedestrian focused and friendly and then there's the weekend nights where it's a veritable no go zone. I would imagine this is also the best heading to put the junkies and scumbags that inhabit the Busara-Connolly-Boardwalk triangle.

There's 4 parks within a 5 minute walk of where I live in the City Center. Dublin also has the largest urban park in Europe. The fúcking place has deers in it, c'mon. The whole of the South William Street area is due to be pedestrianised over the next 10 years, along with a few other areas around the city. There's junkies in every city in the world, it's just a fact of living in an urban environment.
    I'd say a lot of the people with negative or narrow views of Dublin don't really leave the O'Connell / Grafton Street areas and check out SmithField, Kilmainham, Newmarket Square etc. Actually, that's one negative thing I'd say about Dublin is that it's not always well communicated what activities and events are on around the city. It is getting better though with the Dublin City event posters and flags around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Sounds like you condensed a years experience of abuse in to one night.

When you say the city lacks variety compared to other cities, what exactly do you mean by this? This is the third time I have asked you this, I presume if you ignore the question again your posts are just unfounded spoofs.

That all happened on one night. I think you are the spoofer if you claim to never even seen people like that in the city. I think its because of people like you that things have gotten so bad and theres never any proactive change. More policing, more rehab facilities and less "suspended sentences" would do so much to improve this city and bring it up. But if nothing was done during the boom years, even less will be done now. not to worry because on the streets you walk down there are no junkies, scumbags or drunken idiots.

i usually only read the latest page of a thread, so i missed your question. I find the city centre has a lot of bars and resteraunts, but not much else. What if itts during the day and i dont or cant drink? people on this thread mention the parks and museums. The museums may be free but i find them to be really poor. The parks are ok if you want to sit or walk for a few minutes but what about activities? publ;ic tennis or basket ball courts? somewhere i dont need to use our terrible public transport to get to.
    do you not wonder why scumbags kids are causing trouble around the city on weekends? because they have nothing else to do!

just look at a few threads where people have asked for first date ideas or things to do while in the city. Its all museums and walks in the park....

I know ill just get slated in this thread because you all seem to think dublin is the next NYC for some reason. And thats fine if youre happy with it. But dont confused 4th richest with 4th best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

a lot of the junkie problem could be solved if the clinic on amiens street was moved out of the city centre and there was a heavier garda presence on north earl street/marlborough street. but then those streets are north of the liffey where the council couldnt care less

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

as i said earlier i am not lying. i am a guy who keeps his head down, i was not staring at anyone. i find it impossible to believe you have never experienced any of this? one of our many many junkies has never accosted you for money?(for a "hostel" or "bus home to wexford") and shouted abuse at you for not giving any?

I think you're exaggerating big time. In my years in Dublin I've never been abused or assaulted and I'm in the city centre most days. Of course I've seen junkies, beggars, fights and a kid stealing something from a Centra. But I find it hard to believe that someone can experience such torrent of abuse during one 20 minute walk (or even a month), it's definitely contrary to my personal experience.

Dublin has its downsides (namely lousy public transport, tolerance for city centre decay, people openly pissing/puking in the streets), but other than that it's way above average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

i usually only read the latest page of a thread, so i missed your question. I find the city centre has a lot of bars and resteraunts, but not much else. What if itts during the day and i dont or cant drink? people on this thread mention the parks and museums. The museums may be free but i find them to be really poor. The parks are ok if you want to sit or walk for a few minutes but what about activities? publ;ic tennis or basket ball courts? somewhere i dont need to use our terrible public transport to get to.
    do you not wonder why scumbags kids are causing trouble around the city on weekends? because they have nothing else to do!

just look at a few threads where people have asked for first date ideas or things to do while in the city. Its all museums and walks in the park....

I know ill just get slated in this thread because you all seem to think dublin is the next NYC for some reason. And thats fine if youre happy with it. But dont confused 4th richest with 4th best

Galleries, exhibitions, gyms, camera clubs, film, dance & book festivals, yoga studios, roller discos, park bootcamps, all kinds of little shops, beach walks, indoor markets, hill walking/cycling, crossfit, tag rugby, plenty of charity events. All within easy walking or cycling distance. That's just what me & my friends are doing so a small sample.

No one says Dublin is NY but you just keep your eyes firmly closed to what it has on offer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

i have always said the northside is neglected and suffers an anti bias when it comes to development. i sent labour td tommy broughan a letter in 1995 when i was 14 complaining about the lack of public transport on the northside and got a bullshít letter back.
    just luck at the trams going into the mountains where nobody lives on the southside while people on the northside have to queue for full buses

This I feel is true, with a specific bias towards South County Dublin. I remember a comparison of the two Luas lines a few years back- the Red line has some 42 junctions to cross on its route (more now with the Docklands extension). The Green line has far far less. I remember remarking to a friend of how they seemed to move heaven and earth to facilitate the Green line but when it came to the Red they (once) had no less than 5 junctions to get over the Red Cow roundabout rather than a flyover bridge.

The guy I was talking to was a Foxrock native and his retort was that the route of the Green line is largely along an old railway line. What he didn't get was that by stating that he was actually backing up my own point- there is a development bias towards South County Dublin- it may have begun with the Brisitsh who built the original railway line but it certainly continued when the Irish took over.

Arguably a Luas line should have been a priority for the northside over the Green line, especially as they southside already has the DART and the N11 which is one of the more efficient routes into the city, it is basically a six lane highway for a lot of its duration until it hits Donnybrook.

But there is more political power based on the southside so when these decision get made inevitably they look after their own areas first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

RATM wrote: »
    The guy I was talking to was a Foxrock native and his retort was that the route of the Green line is largely along an old railway line. What he didn't get was that by stating that he was actually backing up my own point- there is a development bias towards South County Dublin- it may have begun with the Brisitsh who built the original railway line but it certainly continued when the Irish took over.

Whatever about the strange accusation of anti-Northside bias from the British, the fact is that the green line got made because there was already a line there which meant that the costs were minimal when compared with the neeed to buy and build the line from scratch in relation to the Northside.
    RATM wrote: »
    Arguably a Luas line should have been a priority for the northside over the Green line, especially as they southside already has the DART and the N11 which is one of the more efficient routes into the city, it is basically a six lane highway for a lot of its duration until it hits Donnybrook.

Why did you include the Dart? Half of it is on the Northside. The N11 also is the Wexford road and does not go to the same area's as the Luas. Thats like West Dublin saying that the Northside shouldn't get a tram as they already have the Dart and the red luas services part of it as well.

I don't doubt that there should be some sort of tram line dissecting the northside, your arguments don't make much sense. The reason as to why there wasn't is because it was just too expensive. As far as I know, at the time they wanted to get T2 open before starting on the line to the airport. By the time that happened, all money was gone.

dominated by traffic choked streets, little greenery and not very pedestrian focused and friendly and then there's the weekend nights where it's a veritable no go zone.

My point about the people who hate Dublin not knowing it being proven over and over again. It's a very green city Cookie, you just don't know it, and pedestrians rule the city, my OAP folks head in to the city for dinner the odd night, one of the safest cities you could visit.
    I find the city centre has a lot of bars and resteraunts, but not much else. What if itts during the day and i dont or cant drink? people on this thread mention the parks and museums. The museums may be free but i find them to be really poor. The parks are ok if you want to sit or walk for a few minutes but what about activities?

Nonsense, some of the premier European museums and galleries are in the city, the Chester Beatty is probably the best in Europe. The bog mummies Kingship and Sacrifice exhibition in the National museum is world renowned and that's just two of many. The Parks are phenomenal with literally endless activities from cycling, model flying/driving, equestrian, fitness camps, nature, skate/rollerblade, etc... There are beaches, rivers and the whole bay out there for people but, they will still say there's nothing to do. It's lack of creativity and laziness that has people saying this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

reprazant wrote: »
    Whatever about the strange accusation of anti-Northside bias from the British, the fact is that the green line got made because there was already a line there which meant that the costs were minimal when compared with the neeed to buy and build the line from scratch in relation to the Northside.

Why did you include the Dart? Half of it is on the Northside. The N11 also is the Wexford road and does not go to the same area's as the Luas. Thats like West Dublin saying that the Northside shouldn't get a tram as they already have the Dart and the red luas services part of it as well.

I don't doubt that there should be some sort of tram line dissecting the northside, your arguments don't make much sense. The reason as to why there wasn't is because it was just too expensive. As far as I know, at the time they wanted to get T2 open before starting on the line to the airport. By the time that happened, all money was gone.

Luas doesnt touch the northern suburbs, whereas the dart runs into wicklow yet doesnt cover north dublin past malahide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

griffdaddy wrote: »
    There's 4 parks within a 5 minute walk of where I live in the City Center. Dublin also has the largest urban park in Europe. The fúcking place has deers in it, c'mon. The whole of the South William Street area is due to be pedestrianised over the next 10 years, along with a few other areas around the city.
    Of course there are parks, but then every city has these also and the Phoenix Park is not in the CC and is a criminally under used facility to boot. However I still don't think it's that green, patches of contained green to be sure but there's so much more potential around the canal and Liffey to make them more pleasant or even more of the squares and plazas around, most of which are just bare concrete. The whole centre of the city is also dominated by roads with remarkably few pedestrianised streets and in general has narrow footpaths while having 3-4-5 lanes of traffic = not pedestrian friendly in the least.
    John_Rambo wrote: »
    My point about the people who hate Dublin not knowing it being proven over and over again. It's a very green city Cookie, you just don't know it, and pedestrians rule the city, my OAP folks head in to the city for dinner the odd night, one of the safest cities you could visit.
    I lived in south Dublin for 27 years, I think I know it well enough thanks. I certainly don't feel safe in the city centre any more and actively avoid it these days when I'm home.

• Site Banned Posts: 253 ✭✭theidiots

I just dislike the City. Too busy, noise is unreal, you can't look left or right in Dublin City without seeing a scumbag, some scumbags **** on the footpaths because of the heroin constipation thing.

Just dislike it completely. Cork now theres a grand city!

Of course there are parks, but then every city has these also and the Phoenix Park is not in the CC and is a criminally under used facility to boot.

Underused because people like yourself don't use them!
    more of the squares and plazas around, most of which are just bare concrete.

Grass - Rain - People = Mud. That's whey they are paved all over Europe.
    The whole centre of the city is also dominated by roads with remarkably few pedestrianised streets and in general has narrow footpaths while having 3-4-5 lanes of traffic = not pedestrian friendly in the least.

The whole city centre in general doesn't have narrow footpaths and 3-4-5 lanes of traffic.
    I certainly don't feel safe in the city centre any more and actively avoid it these days when I'm home.

That's down to your own insecurities.
    theidiots wrote: »
    I just dislike the City. Too busy, noise is unreal,

It's too noisy. Scraping the barrel now.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

I live on one of the main city centre streets and 9 times out of 10 if i leave my apartment after 11pm i have at least one drunken idiot shout something at me or mumble it to his mates to look tough.
    again as i said, this was a more eventful night than others but it happened and i wasn't even that surprised.

Maybe you are a little too sensitive to live and walk in the city then.

I wouldn't call a junkie shuffling up to me and asking me for some change accosting me.

It happens every time I go into the city centre and I just keep on walking or firmly tell them no. Not once have I been abused for that afterwards in 8 years.

I’m sorry but you are way over exaggerating things to say every time you go in there these things happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭penzo

I think one thing that probably added to how high we were is the standard of our shops such as spar, centra and londis. I was in london and amsterdam last year and the selection and standard we get compared to them places is really under recognized.

Most of the shops in london or amsterdam look like a shop you would have expected to see in a country town in ireland like 15 years ago.

Advertisement