Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women shoes = Mens shoes but cheaper ?

Options
  • 22-02-2013 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vce-pVYIjx8

Michael Arnstein says:
    "I buy running shoes based on a few factors: quality of fit, aesthetic look, and price... and 'women's' shoes' are the same as men's, but cost LESS in odd sizes, so as a size 9 in men's I buy size 10 1/2 in womens... usually at half price b/c 10 1/2 is a tough size to sell in 'women's'... so 'Kool-Aide' might be something you're drinkin in thinking that men's and women's shoes are different... I'll keep making better value purchases."

What do you think ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

rom wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vce-pVYIjx8

Michael Arnstein says:
    "I buy running shoes based on a few factors: quality of fit, aesthetic look, and price... and 'women's' shoes' are the same as men's, but cost LESS in odd sizes, so as a size 9 in men's I buy size 10 1/2 in womens... usually at half price b/c 10 1/2 is a tough size to sell in 'women's'... so 'Kool-Aide' might be something you're drinkin in thinking that men's and women's shoes are different... I'll keep making better value purchases."

What do you think ?

Tranny? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I havent looked at the video- is he American ?

I am guessing he is, as I have never seen womens shoes in UK/IRL size 10.5

If the womens shoe is exactly the same weight, then he has a point, if is isn't then it
    might be designed to take less weight.

As a man who runs who takes a 7, he is probably light enough to get away with this, but if you are heavier, you might think about that.

I take a 5, and I have a choice of womes runners, or boys. The boys ones are much cheaper, but i doubt if they would give as much support as they are a much lighter shoe.

I buy my light fashion runners in the boys department of Dunnes, and enjoy my VAT free purchases, but I wouldn't risk with the shoes to run on the road, not with my dodgy knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I just checked the ASIC website .

THe GT-2000 mens shoe is 325g and the womens is 265g but this must be an average as the mens shoe is available is sizes 6 to 16, impossible to believe that they are all the same weight.

However, this caught my eye

"This model contains Gender Specific Cushioning, a softer top layer of the Solyte dual density midsole, designed to enhance cushioning and comfort for women. "

Must be true, the ASIC website wouldn't lie about a thing like that,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Womens shoes are gender specific, engineered for, generally, a wider pelvic area and a steeper angle of approach to the ground. Women run more out to in with their stride. As a result the heels in most women's shoes is more segmented than mens.

They are also standard B width which is narrower than the men's standard D width.

Womens shoes are available up to size UK10 / US12 in Ireland. What he is suggesting is that a UK8.5 / US10.5 would be on the clearance heap quicker than the equivalent size in a man's shoe. Possibly true, but less likely here as 8/8.5 are very common sizes here.

Running shoes are manufactured for different body weights & mass too, which is why kids shoes even though they go to UK5.5 are not suitable for smaller footed women.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

huskerdu wrote: »
    I just checked the ASIC website .

THe GT-2000 mens shoe is 325g and the womens is 265g but this must be an average as the mens shoe is available is sizes 6 to 16, impossible to believe that they are all the same weight.

However, this caught my eye

"This model contains Gender Specific Cushioning, a softer top layer of the Solyte dual density midsole, designed to enhance cushioning and comfort for women. "

Must be true, the ASIC website wouldn't lie about a thing like that,

Weight is usually quoted on a men's size 8 or 9 and ladies 5 or 6 depending on the brand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement