Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fake iPhones Done Deal?

• 22-02-2013 10:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

Am looking for an iPhone for the Missus and notice that DD is awash with iPhone 3GS 's all conveniently still having the original pristine box - something rings false - are these all Chinese knock offs?

Some guy on there now also selling an iPhone 5 for 150 as he wants a quick sale....

Also what's the deal with people selling contract phones - Could a buyer pay for a device that's subsequently bricked?

- ps I would appreciate any advice on picking up an iPhone for the Missus - she has a rotten nokia which is so miserable....

Thanks folks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Yeah there's always a big risk involved especially with Done Deal. Maybe try Adverts.ie instead. Seller feedback and profiles help a lot when buying from a stranger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Some people buy their phone on an upgrade then resell in the box as a way of making money. But donedeal and gumtree are a bit dodgy for buying phones. I know of the chinese shops in town that resell require a EU ID when you sell it to then that its not stolen.

My brother got a 5 month old iphone 4Gs for 280 on adverts.ie

Watch it regularly as you can find bargain on it such as one was a iPhone 4Gs that was two weeks old as a guy claimed it on his insurance as stolen and then brought an Iphone 5. He sold it for like €200

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

hfallada wrote: »
    . . . .Watch it regularly as you can find bargain on it such as one was a iPhone 4Gs that was two weeks old as a guy claimed it on his insurance as stolen and then brought an Iphone 5. He sold it for like €200

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Adverts is much safer, however no harm checking one of the phones out.

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Also what's the deal with people selling contract phones - Could a buyer pay for a device that's subsequently bricked?

Possibly. You buy the phone, which works fine, but then the seller reports it as stolen to claim on the insurance, or doesn't keep up payments on the contract. The phone is then blacklisted and is pretty much an iPod touch at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭conor2ka

The iphone 4 is a good choice and if you check the phone out before hand and get the sellers number and so forth when buying you should be ok . I am currently selling an iphone 4 and I bought a Nokia n97 a while back without problems off adverts .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

hfallada wrote: »
    Some people buy their phone on an upgrade then resell in the box as a way of making money. But donedeal and gumtree are a bit dodgy for buying phones. I know of the chinese shops in town that resell require a EU ID when you sell it to then that its not stolen.

My brother got a 5 month old iphone 4Gs for 280 on adverts.ie

Watch it regularly as you can find bargain on it such as one was a iPhone 4Gs that was two weeks old as a guy claimed it on his insurance as stolen and then brought an Iphone 5. He sold it for like €200

I'd say that ended really well for the buyer.....

Advertisement