Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest ever Irish Club side?

• 22-02-2013 11:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭

With the League of Ireland only around the corner, I'm getting very excited about getting back onto the terraces! I've been chatting with mates about this and we got talking about great sides of the LOI. I've only been supporting a decade or so but have seen some really fun European runs by various sides.

I'm a Bohs fan myself so am interested especially in other teams. Which other sides have very been good by our standards?

Shelbourne defeating Hadjuk Split and then taking on Deportivo in 2004? Cork City's Champion's League run in 2006? Shamrock Rovers historic run to the Europa League group stages? Were the 4 in a Row hoops amazing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

4 in a row rovers for me, played some nice football teams couldnt touch them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

4 in a row Rovers.
    Waterford in the late 60s/early 70s.
    Bohs under Fenlon.
    Shels under Keely/Fenlon.

They're probably the best 4 in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Only Irish team to win the Treble in Derry in 89 were a good team, also getting so close in 2006 Uefa Cup holding PSG to a 0-0 draw and beating Gothenburg

Derry under Healy were a good side too.

Best ever one off side was Pats 98

Gormley Russell and Osam in the middle, our best ever run won 3 out of 4 leagues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

The Bohs team that got knocked out by Salzburg imo was the best Irish team ever. Missed opportunity. Who can forget Drogheda coming within an inch of a Gartland(I think) leg of knocking out Dynamo Kyiv!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Omackeral wrote: »
    With the League of Ireland only around the corner, I'm getting very excited about getting back onto the terraces! I've been chatting with mates about this and we got talking about great sides of the LOI. I've only been supporting a decade or so but have seen some really fun European runs by various sides.

I'm a Bohs fan myself so am interested especially in other teams. Which other sides have very been good by our standards?

Shelbourne defeating Hadjuk Split and then taking on Deportivo in 2004? Cork City's Champion's League run in 2006? Shamrock Rovers historic run to the Europa League group stages? Were the 4 in a Row hoops amazing?

Was that not the Intertoto Cup? Still though maybe its selective memory but that was the most assured Irish team, ability wise they were able to open up teams and attack with pace, something you never see Irish teams in Europe do. I suppose Pat's run a few years ago they were pretty similar as a team. I remember they scored a great counter attacking goal against Elfsborg.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Shels 2005 was probably the best LOI squad assembled but they just didn't gel as a team. A few internationals, one or two former internationals and a future international. All full time and very talented but just didn't work well together.
    For living up to potential, Shels 2004 and Pats 98 were the two best I've seen in the flesh.

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Was that not the Intertoto Cup? Still though maybe its selective memory but that was the most assured Irish team, ability wise they were able to open up teams and attack with pace, something you never see Irish teams in Europe do. I suppose Pat's run a few years ago they were pretty similar as a team. I remember they scored a great counter attacking goal against Elfsborg.

you rang?

day before my wedding 6pm irish time i was stupidly drunk. Only trip i didnt make that year and i still think i could have made the match and got back to dublin for the wedding.

Wife was having none of it :)

edit if you look closely the pats fan fell from that tier after celebrating to the ground and staff helped him back to his seat :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,787 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

The Rovers team of the mid '80s.

• Advertisement

To follow on from the above, as fans we all have our moments. That one time in your teams history that stands out as the greatest moment ever. This is OT from the original post but i luckily i have my greatest moment as a Pats fan captured on video and youtube. (would be awesome if everyone else did)

But fast forward 5 minutes into this video, the moment Quigley rounds the keeper that noise, that sense of belonging, that sense of US ...that noise. Tbh have a few kids and nothing nothing beats that moment for best moment of my life (didnt video the kids being born doubt i would watch them again tbh its like aliens but with people you know)

We go to games we dont go as spectators we go as fans, pats lose on a friday and im in a pissy mood for days. I dont like you lot but i respect you simply because you are there every bleedin week, even the warm days in bray. Even the rovers and shels fans i respect!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SooX7pGBktI

The above is the greatest moment for me as a Pats fan, beats winning leagues, losing cup finals. its just amazing

jaysis another drunken rant.....2 more weeks 2 more weeks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Not too sure about the Bohs 08 team. Managed fantastically well by Fenlon indeed but if you look at Bohs' players in the early 2000s and even in the 80s, so I'm told with Jameson and the likes, were a lot better than the Bohs 08 team imo. The Bohs 08 team achieved a hell of a lot more though and I think it's because Fenlon was a top manager.

I guess it's down to whether the greatest Irish club side is defined by the best squad and manager or their success...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Only Irish team to win the Treble in Derry in 89 were a good team, also getting so close in 2006 Uefa Cup holding PSG to a 0-0 draw and beating Gothenburg

Non-existant clubs this would probably top it alright.

BOHtox wrote: »
    Not too sure about the Bohs 08 team. Managed fantastically well by Fenlon indeed but if you look at Bohs' players in the early 2000s and even in the 80s, so I'm told with Jameson and the likes, were a lot better than the Bohs 08 team imo. The Bohs 08 team achieved a hell of a lot more though and I think it's because Fenlon was a top manager.

I guess it's down to whether the greatest Irish club side is defined by the best squad and manager or their success...

The records from 2008 sort of speak for themselves. The run of wins and games without defeat was incredible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It's probably either the Waterford side of the 60s/70s or the 4-in-a-row side. There's great stories from Rovers' trips to Waterford in the 60s. Interested to hear about the Drums side of the late 50s, early 60s too.

But then you have the argument over whether modern fitness would blast those teams away..

Cork and Derry 2005 is probably the best title chase of the past 20 years, two very strong teams with McCourt, Doyle etc. holding off Shels. Notable enough mention to the Longford team that sprung up under Kenny and filtered through the league - Kirby, Lavine, Stephen O'Brien, Perth, Prunty etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Pat Scullys Kilkenny City FC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Dublin City Fc

enough said!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Derry in mid 90's were excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I don't feel qualified to rate Rovers' 4 in a row side (although they must have obviously been great) so with that being the case it's the Fenlon Shels team for me. I'm a bit biased though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The Shels 06 team and the Bohs team a few years later were the best ive seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Dammo

'66, '68, '69, '70, '72, '73

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Severe lack of Dundalk Fc in here. Shameful stuff in all fairness.

Our team between 76 and 81 were magic. Three League's (Once runner up), Two League Cups, Three FAI Cup's and some of the best European results in League of Ireland history. Few words on those magical European evenings taken from club's website.

Dundalk 1-1 PSV Eindhoven
    European Cup 15th September 1976

With some rare exceptions the Champion’s League has deprived the Champions of Ireland of an open draw when you have an opportunity to play against the best players of the world. By 1976, Dutch football was one of the best in Europe. PSV Eindhoven featured six full Dutch internationals that had performed so well at the 1974 World Cup Finals and were about to commence a long run to the 1978 World Cup Final. Jan Van Beveren, Adri Van Kraay, Willy Van Der Kuylen and Kees Krijgh were all in team along with two of the greatest players in the World – twin brothers Willy and Rene van de Kerhof. Also in the PSV squad was 6ft 3” Swedish international target man Ralf Edstroem.

Jim McLaughlin promised to attack and Dundalk set off at a very quick pace that unsettled the visitors. As early as the second minute, Jimmy Dainty, put through by Mick Lawlor, cracked a shot off the upright. Six minutes later Oriel erupted. Lawlor chipped the ball through to Frank Devlin. The referee overruled a linesman’s flag to allow Devlin to supply McDowall 22 yards out who struck a fierce drive past Van Beveren. Dundalk held the lead until the 80th minute when Van der Kerhof cross was hammered home by Deijkers.

Dundalk 1-0 Hajduk Split
    UEFA Cup 1st Round 14th September 1977

Terry Flanagan was the hero with an 85th minute winner against crack Yugoslavian team Hajduk Split in 1977. Dundalk at no stage allowed the visitors to settle. Jim McLaughlin and Terry Flanagan set up Mick Lawlor to strike a fierce effort against the crossbar. Split also hit the woodwork through Surjak. Dundalk’s goal came when McLaughlin headed down to Flanagan who shot home from ten yards.

Dundalk 0-0 Glasgow Celtic
    7th November 1979 European Cup

Over two legs in October/November 1979, Dundalk put the fear of God into Glasgow Celtic and came within a whisker of booking a 1/4 final encounter with Real Madrid. Having pushed Celtic all the way in Parkhead and grabbing two vital away goals, Dundalk were full of confidence that they could snatch a 1-0 win to progress to the next round. 22,000 people somehow squeezed into Oriel Park to witness a night of drama. Tommy McConville was inches away from putting Dundalk through in the 89th minute of the game.

Dundalk 1-1 Tottenham Hotspur
    European Cup Winners Cup 21st
    October 1981

Look at the names on display in Oriel Park that night: Three time European Cup winner Ray Clemence, Irish Internationals Chris Hughton and Tony Galvin, England Internationals Steve Perryman and Glenn Hoddle, World Cup Winner Ossie Ardiles, Scottish International Steve Archbald as well one of the best strikers in English football at the time, Garth Crooks. This was one of the strongest teams ever to come to Ireland for a competitive match. Barry Kehoe stole the show in midfield as Pop Flanagan and Sean Byrne refused to allow Hoddle and Ardiles any time on the ball. Mick Fairclough scored Dundalk’s equaliser in the 81st minute after Crooks had given Spurs the lead. “My players were a credit to Dundalk and the country and I am not in the least intimidated at the prospect of meeting Tottenham again” said Jim McLaughlin. Two weeks later, Dundalk again produced a superb display but were beaten by a scrappy Crooks goal.

Pighead wrote: »
    Severe lack of Dundalk Fc in here. Shameful stuff in all fairness.

Our team between 76 and 81 were magic. Three League's (Once runner up), Two League Cups, Three FAI Cup's and some of the best European results in League of Ireland history. Few words on those magical European evenings taken from club's website.

Dundalk 1-1 PSV Eindhoven
    European Cup 15th September 1976

With some rare exceptions the Champion’s League has deprived the Champions of Ireland of an open draw when you have an opportunity to play against the best players of the world. By 1976, Dutch football was one of the best in Europe. PSV Eindhoven featured six full Dutch internationals that had performed so well at the 1974 World Cup Finals and were about to commence a long run to the 1978 World Cup Final. Jan Van Beveren, Adri Van Kraay, Willy Van Der Kuylen and Kees Krijgh were all in team along with two of the greatest players in the World – twin brothers Willy and Rene van de Kerhof. Also in the PSV squad was 6ft 3” Swedish international target man Ralf Edstroem.

Jim McLaughlin promised to attack and Dundalk set off at a very quick pace that unsettled the visitors. As early as the second minute, Jimmy Dainty, put through by Mick Lawlor, cracked a shot off the upright. Six minutes later Oriel erupted. Lawlor chipped the ball through to Frank Devlin. The referee overruled a linesman’s flag to allow Devlin to supply McDowall 22 yards out who struck a fierce drive past Van Beveren. Dundalk held the lead until the 80th minute when Van der Kerhof cross was hammered home by Deijkers.

Dundalk 1-0 Hajduk Split
    UEFA Cup 1st Round 14th September 1977

Terry Flanagan was the hero with an 85th minute winner against crack Yugoslavian team Hajduk Split in 1977. Dundalk at no stage allowed the visitors to settle. Jim McLaughlin and Terry Flanagan set up Mick Lawlor to strike a fierce effort against the crossbar. Split also hit the woodwork through Surjak. Dundalk’s goal came when McLaughlin headed down to Flanagan who shot home from ten yards.

Dundalk 0-0 Glasgow Celtic
    7th November 1979 European Cup

Over two legs in October/November 1979, Dundalk put the fear of God into Glasgow Celtic and came within a whisker of booking a 1/4 final encounter with Real Madrid. Having pushed Celtic all the way in Parkhead and grabbing two vital away goals, Dundalk were full of confidence that they could snatch a 1-0 win to progress to the next round. 22,000 people somehow squeezed into Oriel Park to witness a night of drama. Tommy McConville was inches away from putting Dundalk through in the 89th minute of the game.

Dundalk 1-1 Tottenham Hotspur
    European Cup Winners Cup 21st
    October 1981

Look at the names on display in Oriel Park that night: Three time European Cup winner Ray Clemence, Irish Internationals Chris Hughton and Tony Galvin, England Internationals Steve Perryman and Glenn Hoddle, World Cup Winner Ossie Ardiles, Scottish International Steve Archbald as well one of the best strikers in English football at the time, Garth Crooks. This was one of the strongest teams ever to come to Ireland for a competitive match. Barry Kehoe stole the show in midfield as Pop Flanagan and Sean Byrne refused to allow Hoddle and Ardiles any time on the ball. Mick Fairclough scored Dundalk’s equaliser in the 81st minute after Crooks had given Spurs the lead. “My players were a credit to Dundalk and the country and I am not in the least intimidated at the prospect of meeting Tottenham again” said Jim McLaughlin. Two weeks later, Dundalk again produced a superb display but were beaten by a scrappy Crooks goal.
    Most of us weren't alive for this. No point in us going on about how great teams were that we never saw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Bohs team under Kenny in 03 were pretty good, played nice ball and only lost 3 games that year and the performance against Bate Borisov was one of the best ive seen in Dalymount, in saying that Fenlons Bohs sides were very good on paper and his 2008 side was the best ive seen!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Rovers making the group stages done the LOI proud.

For me though, has to be the Derry team that went on the Euro run smashing Gretna.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=txY_aekmPLI

circadian wrote: »
    Rovers making the group stages done the LOI proud.

just to be clear they embarassed the league in the group stages, 0 wins, 0 intention to win.

they pissed me right off when they did that, they at no moment tried to win a game just sit back and raped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

major bill wrote: »
    Bohs team under Kenny in 03 were pretty good, played nice ball and only lost 3 games that year and the performance against Bate Borisov was one of the best ive seen in Dalymount, in saying that Fenlons Bohs sides were very good on paper and his 2008 side was the best ive seen!!

That was an excellent Bohs side. Think it caught the imagination of the Bohs support as well looking back. Kevin Hunt & Glen Crowe were at the height of their powers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Wasn't even a twinkle in my father's eye at the time, but I'm surprised Coad's Colts and the six in a row haven't gotten a mention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

CSF wrote: »
    Most of us weren't alive for this. No point in us going on about how great teams were that we never saw.
    Horrible reply to what I thought was a really lovely post. Title of thread =Greatest ever Irish Club side. Word in bold is the important one. We'll get over this eventually CSF but at the moment I'm very cross with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Probably Linfield back in 1967 - surely the only Irish team to have ever reached the last 8 of the European Cup, only narrowly beaten too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Pighead wrote: »
    Horrible reply to what I thought was a really lovely post. Title of thread =Greatest ever Irish Club side. Word in bold is the important one. We'll get over this eventually CSF but at the moment I'm very cross with you.

+1. The fact some of us were not alive to see it is irrelevant. History doth not begin with ones birth.

For me it's gotta be either the Bohs team of the early 00s, superbly anchored by Kevin Hunt in midfield, or the Cork team of 05. There didn't much get past Dan Murray!

grenache wrote: »

+1. The fact some of us were not alive to see it is irrelevant. History doth not begin with ones birth.

For me it's gotta be either the Bohs team of the early 00s, superbly anchored by Kevin Hunt in midfield, or the Cork team of 05. There didn't much get past Dan Murray!
    But how can we judge teams we didn't see?

Video footage?

Probably Linfield back in 1967 - surely the only Irish team to have ever reached the last 8 of the European Cup, only narrowly beaten too.
    Hmmm......they might not be too happy being referred to as "Irish" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

shamrock celtic:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

The towm team from a few years ago,so much promise,back four of sean dillion,graham gartland,stephen paisley and sean prunty...dillion and paiso were under 21 internationals,eric lavine was brilliant when he showed up,kirby on the wing,barry ferguson aswell,good stron base of a team who brought us to 5 cup finals,winnin 2 fai cups amd 1 league cup against bohs in flancare,God I want to get out of the first division...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Athlone town 1974/1975

Uefa cup - beating valerenga in the first round and drawing 0-0 with ac milan at home in the second round :)

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

Waterford FC team from 66-73 won 6 league titles. Played European Champions Celtic and lost 3-2 in Glasgow would of loved to been alive to watch the height of Irish club soccer at its peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭lods

http://youtu.be/i2nDl9UKMJU

Dublin City for relegating Rovers in 2006

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Athlone town 1974/1975

Uefa cup - beating valerenga in the first round and drawing 0-0 with ac milan at home in the second round :)

+1 and I was at the AC Milan match in St. Mel's park ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIPZDlCmwjw Happy days indeed!!

Ben

PS, Ricky, I see you played Esker Hills yesterday with the Boards Golf Society and you won. Well done. I played it last Monday and was disappointed with the greens. Still one of my favourite courses though :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Non-existant clubs this would probably top it alright.

Still in the history books that Derry City in only their 4th year in the league of Ireland won all 3 trophies, and the points from Derry's UEFA Cup run counted towards the seeding of Irish teams for the 5 years UEFA use them

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

They didn't face any noteworthy opposition in the two rounds they played prior to the last 8 though. No more impressive than Dundalk's run in the same competition when they finally lost to Celtic imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

As a stand alone team, the Limerick United team from the 1979/80 season might be worth a shout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

dreamers75 wrote: »

just to be clear they embarassed the league in the group stages, 0 wins, 0 intention to win.

they pissed me right off when they did that, they at no moment tried to win a game just sit back and raped.

Just to be clear, they took the lead at White Hart Lane against Tottenham Hotspur. So that's a bit of a dampener on your theory.

I shouted at the Telly with excitement when Rice scored. It was the dirtiest I've ever ever felt..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

dreamers75 wrote: »

and what were you expecting. Them to play 4-3-3 on Ultra Attack?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

That's a nonsensical argument. I'm 32 and have been watching LOI on and off since 1994. Others on here are older and have been watching LOI since 70's or perhaps even longer. There are others who started going to matches last season, so by your comments, we should only be talking about last season. Pighead made a very good post and backed it up very well. I don't think there's going to be a definitive best team at the end of this and so far I have enjoyed reading different people's opinion of the greatest LOI side.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

That's a nonsensical argument. I'm 32 and have been watching LOI on and off since 1994. Others on here are older and have been watching LOI since 70's or perhaps even longer. There are others who started going to matches last season, so by your comments, we should only be talking about last season. Pighead made a very good post and backed it up very well. I don't think there's going to be a definitive best team at the end of this and so far I have enjoyed reading different people's opinion of the greatest LOI side.
    I don't think you've actually read through the thread. My posts were in response to someone who was wondering why people weren't mentioning the Dundalk team of the late 70s/early 80s. I was simply pointing out that most people who post in the LOI threads weren't going to games back then. Of course some were but those people would be in the minority I reckon.

As for the lad talking about video footage, I can honestly say I've seen very little of it floating about. I'm sure you can get some if you look in the right places, but it's not like English and International football in that respect.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I don't think you've actually read through the thread. My posts were in response to someone who was wondering why people weren't mentioning the Dundalk team of the late 70s/early 80s. I was simply pointing out that most people who post in the LOI threads weren't going to games back then. Of course some were but those people would be in the minority I reckon.

As for the lad talking about video footage, I can honestly say I've seen very little of it floating about. I'm sure you can get some if you look in the right places, but it's not like English and International football in that respect.

Sorry, I see the point you were making now, my bad.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,986 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

For me its between Jim McLoughlin's Dundalk and Shamrock Rovers team for best I've seen in the LOI. I think the Rovers team was better but only just.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭nordydan

Belfast Celtic

• Advertisement
Advertisement