Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest ever Irish Club side?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Only Irish team to win the Treble in Derry in 89 were a good team, also getting so close in 2006 Uefa Cup holding PSG to a 0-0 draw and beating Gothenburg

And ye were only a point away from getting the treble again in 2006. A treble plus a fantastic European run would've put that as the best, but as it turned out, I think 1988/89 ranks top as the greatest team of a single season.

For a more sustained period of success, you can't really look past Shamrock Rovers in the 80s, getting four leagues and three doubles in a row.

In terms of the greatest for European runs, it has to be Pats. Winning 8 of their last 12 ties and consistently qualifying past two rounds, twice getting to the round just before the group stages. If they had a couple of shots at the Champions League, I think they'd get into the Europa League Group Stages. They'd likely be seeded in the second round, allowing them easyish access to the third round, and that'd give them two cracks at the Europa Group Stages. Win, and they'd be guaranteed them, and they'd also have a small chance at the CL. Lose, and they'd still be one tie away from the Europa. But, I guess as long as they can't do it on the domestic front, it's not gonna happen. Still a fantastic European record, though. And I suppose if they were doing better in the league, that might adversely affect their European campaigns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

CSF wrote: »
    Most of us weren't alive for this. No point in us going on about how great teams were that we never saw.

I was. I think I had or have the programme for one of those games even though I wasnt at them. Im from Cork. They arent that long ago.Silly comment in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭BigBrownBear

Has to be the Shamrock Rovers 4 in a row. They won around or over 3 domestic trophies each of those seasons( granted some were 'mickey mouse').
    5 players were capped at senior level. Alan Cammpell and Liam Buckley were transfered to clubs in the top divisions in Belgium and Spain, Liam O Brien to MUFC.
    I know friendlies dont really count but I remember they beat a full strength Man Utd twice and Arsenal too :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    And ye were only a point away from getting the treble again in 2006. A treble plus a fantastic European run would've put that as the best, but as it turned out, I think 1988/89 ranks top as the greatest team of a single season.

For a more sustained period of success, you can't really look past Shamrock Rovers in the 80s, getting four leagues and three doubles in a row.

In terms of the greatest for European runs, it has to be Pats. Winning 8 of their last 12 ties and consistently qualifying past two rounds, twice getting to the round just before the group stages. If they had a couple of shots at the Champions League, I think they'd get into the Europa League Group Stages. They'd likely be seeded in the second round, allowing them easyish access to the third round, and that'd give them two cracks at the Europa Group Stages. Win, and they'd be guaranteed them, and they'd also have a small chance at the CL. Lose, and they'd still be one tie away from the Europa. But, I guess as long as they can't do it on the domestic front, it's not gonna happen. Still a fantastic European record, though. And I suppose if they were doing better in the league, that might adversely affect their European campaigns.

Yep Kenny going to talk to Dunfermline instead of preparing for the game against Bray was bad form

Rovers team from the 80s. Best LOI team I have seen by a country mile. When you consider the players from that team walked off that Rovers into teams straight away into the French league, Spanish League and Irish International team it was amazing. This was a time when there wasnt much international transfers besides neighbouring nations.

The one sad fact was their lack of success in Europe which I put down to the late starting LOI at the time which used to start in October!!! Rovers might be playing a European game in August or September.

If the FAI had the foresight to bring the league forward or change it around as they did later I think that team would have done serious damage in Europe I really do. I remember the Bohs team from that time wasnt bad either with Jackie Jameson - he was some player.

If they werent the best team Irish team that Rovers team were the best footballing team ever. The ball very rarely left the ground.

Great thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I was. I think I had or have the programme for one of those games even though I wasnt at them. Im from Cork. They arent that long ago.Silly comment in fairness.
    How? What are you talking about?I think its fair to say the vast majority of us weren't going to football matches in the late 70s, hence the lack of posts about how great the teams were then.

CSF wrote: »
    How? What are you talking about?I think its fair to say the vast majority of us weren't going to football matches in the late 70s, hence the lack of posts about how great the teams were then.

Well I take your point about that. But, the first regular game I went was in 1984 although I went to a game before that(I think :pac:). However the sad thing is that there arent many LOI posts on Boards anyway so thread dealing with matters going back a few years are going to be even more scarce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Yep Kenny going to talk to Dunfermline instead of preparing for the game against Bray was bad form

Just looking at Derry's fixtures from the season, and inside the last 14 games, ye had a couple of blips. In one run of games, ye got four draws and a loss out of five and another, ye got a win, two draws and a loss out of four, followed by winning the final five games of the season. In the last 14 games, ye picked up 24 points out of a possible 42. Do you think Kenny's move to Dunfermline was a major distraction, or was it more the runs in both domestic cups and Europe?

Just looking up, actually, the cups brought nearly as many games as the league for ye. 6 each in the Setanta and UEFA Cups, 5 in the FAI Cup and 4 in the League Cup. 21 on top of the 32 played in the League (though, the two against Dublin City "never happened"). 53 games is a lot for one season. I suppose trying to juggle so many matches was always going to have an effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Great thread - The Rovers team of the 80's would be my pick

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Derry 89.Felix's Derry side 97 then the European team of 06. Shels team from years ago which included byrne Crowe and the like would be up there. Corks league winners from 05 oflynn and ocallaghan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

As well as announcing he was leaving on the night if the drogheda game. Which we then lost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

That was an excellent Bohs side. Think it caught the imagination of the Bohs support as well looking back. Kevin Hunt & Glen Crowe were at the height of their powers.

It certainly did, I remember just before the European campaign we played a full strength Spurs side and bashed them 3-1 in Dalymount playing some lovely stuff and there was huge optimism amongst the crowd that we could do some serious damage in europe unfortunately we were really unlucky to draw Rosenborg who were one of the most consistant sides in the qualifiers at the time.

Advertisement