Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motivation weight loss clinic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Mitzy24

Do you not think that a bit much?

I mean you didn't put on 2 stone in 12 weeks. Are you planning on eating the bars for the rest of your life?

I'm coming off the bars in 2 weeks and eating normal protein in food

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Its hilarious, they tackle why you eat my arse. They throw you on a crazy "power sauce bar" diet, take a load of cash and let you rebound cause you have changed nothing. Your lifestyle has not changed. You still eat crap and do too little exercise, now its just expensive bar shaped crap. There is not rude awakening, no kick in the ass, Its fast fixes.

For 1000 euro you would get diet plans a two personal training sessions a week, weekly weigh in and gym membership for 4 months. You would leave with knowledge about carb control, nutrition and how to exercise to suit your body and goals.#

Powersauce.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

I would love to see stats for people who waste their money on these motivation regimes, lose weight and rebound back to normal weight plus some.

I reckon the rebound weight gain levels are phenomenal.

It's interesting that those commenting negatively have no idea about the programme!! It's a diet just like weight watchers but u don't have to cue with loads other people. So why don't u go criticise those doing that instead of bad mouthing something that you clearly have no understanding about!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Mitzy24 wrote: »
    It's interesting that those commenting negatively have no idea about the programme!! It's a diet just like weight watchers but u don't have to cue with loads other people. So why don't u go criticise those doing that instead of bad mouthing something that you clearly have no understanding about!!

I hate all weight loss groups equally. :D

..and how do you know we know nothing? You don't.

...... no idea about the programme!! It's a diet just like weight watchers .....

Yep, diets dont work cause they are by definition short term. Fad diets are twice as bad cause they foster unhealthy eating habits, and diets without exercise are three times as bad cause they make you skinny fat the ultimate rebound machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Tbh, I don't understand the mentality behind encouraging people to eat protein bars when they're trying to lose weight.

The only reason you'd need a huge amount more protein than usual is if you exercise a LOT and are cutting down on carbs. I eat plenty of protein because I do high intensity work outs all the time.

However, I don't bother my arse with protein bars. For the same amount of calories, and just as much protein, I can make lean meat and steamed vegetables. Much more filling, healthier and tastes better.

Diets are a short term fix. what the Motivation clinics are offering is essentially a diet, what with the X week courses and pushing protein bars. If you want to keep weight off long term, change your eating habits and work out regime and make damn sure it's sustainable. That's what I did, and i've lost 11 and a half stone in 3 years, and have kept it all off, and am still losing, slowly but surely. I'm also toning like crazy and never go hungry, have a drink or a pack of crisps whenever I want one, but because i'm used to eating healthily all the time, I simply don't want junk food because i'm no longer used to it.

I DO pay for trainers, to keep me motivated on the exercise front, and I do various types of exercise to make sure I never get bored (I currently do weights classes, TRX, boxing, circuits and abs toning classes, and run a lot).

changes like those which I have made are sustainable, and a hell of a lot cheaper than Motivation. Motivation's regime might see you lose a few stone in a short space of time, but that's a crash diet. Long term weight loss should be slow and steady.

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    That's what I did, and i've lost 11 and a half stone in 3 years, and have kept it all off, .

Fook :eek: Listen to this person folks, thats amazing.

Fook :eek: Listen to this person folks, thats amazing.

:pac: Not really, shouldn't have let myself get that far gone in the first place tbh. I was just undoing all my bad work! :o

But, since I have to admit it is a huge weight loss, I sure as hell didn't pay anyone a fortune to give me protein bars and put me on a faddy diet. I stuck rigidly to a healthy eating plan set out by my trainers, which fills me, is all fresh, healthy food, doesn't cost anything extra in my shopping bill, and is sustainable, most importantly.

As for paying my trainers, I pay them a fiver an hour because I work out in a group and get one on one advice for free from them if I need it, by Facebooking them.

The other thing that helped me were the stickies here on boards. There's seriously no need for fad diets, spending a fortune and then gaining back some weight when you find out that what you're doing isn't sustainable long-term. It CAN be done in a more healthy way.

I have weeks where I pig out or drink too many cocktails, and I might gain a pound or two back, but I lose it again the next week, so in all, my weight is staying off and still dropping, albeit slowly because I only have 2 stone to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 time2change222

hi ladies
    ive signed up today-have 3 stone to lose with wedding in august so hoping to give it a good shot!
    ive joined the Ashbourne clinic and my advisor was very motivating with a good positive attitude-protein bars very tasty
    are you all attending dublin clinic?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

hi ladies
    ive signed up today-have 3 stone to lose with wedding in august so hoping to give it a good shot!
    ive joined the Ashbourne clinic and my advisor was very motivating with a good positive attitude-protein bars very tasty

Waste of time and money. Learn to eat healthy and exercise. Whatever weight you'll lose for wedding will be piled back on before the honeymoon has begun.

Unless you plan to eat protein bars for the rest of your life?

You should read the thread right up to the point you posted, you will learn these things are a load of BS.

hi ladies
    Hi,
    I'm on the programme and having great success. In 13 weeks I have lost 33 lbs, so 2 stone 5!! Still have another 1 and half to go!!
    SW: 13"5
    Current: 11
    Goal: 9"7
    Overall I am happy with the programme, I exercise a lot too! It really is about eating healthy and making the right choices. A lot of people here will criticise it because of the protein bars but they are only used to protect your muscle!! I know quite a few people who completed the programme 3/4 years ago and are maintaining their weight with exercise and healthy eating?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 time2change222

ebixa82 wrote: »
    Waste of time and money. Learn to eat healthy and exercise. Whatever weight you'll lose for wedding will be piled back on before the honeymoon has begun.

Unless you plan to eat protein bars for the rest of your life?

You should read the thread right up to the point you posted, you will learn these things are a load of BS.

Thanks for your feedback Ebixa82- I asked my advisor about that this morning-she reassured me that it is short term and once I'm at my target I am gradually taken off them on and put on maintenance plan- but that they are perfectly safe to be on and that she still has the odd one when she is rushing around
    I had a tough week-a lot on with work and home life but I managed to lose 4pound. I feel less bloated due to my increase in water and I feel bit lighter-
    going into this week already feeling more relaxed and motivated than last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Just wanted to add my 2 cents to the thread, as I have done and completed the Motivation.

Good:
    I lost more than my target weight
    Felt great, looked great
    The girls in my local office were friendly and excellent to deal with
    The protein supplements were actually decent and had flavour
    The weekly appointments were great to keep on track

Bad:
    Very expensive
    The protein supplements are a rip-off
    I put back on all the weight within two years

Now, obviously the onus is on me to keep the weight off once it's finished, but 3 people I know who saw the success I had with it joined up and they too lost the weight and put it back on, so maybe there is something to be said about it long term.

All in all I would recommend it if you had the money spare, but my recommendation would come with a warning to keep your own motivation up once the programme finishes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Just wanted to add my 2 cents to the thread, as I have done and completed the Motivation.

Good:
    Felt great, looked great

Bad:
    Very expensive

Now, obviously the onus is on me to keep the weight off once it's finished, but 3 people I know who saw the success I had with it joined up and they too lost the weight and put it back on, so maybe there is something to be said about it long term.

All in all I would recommend it if you had the money spare, but my recommendation would come with a warning to keep your own motivation up once the programme finishes.

Your post is yet more proof that this approach to weight loss does not work long term. Most people could lose a bunch of weight when they have someone checking with them weekly, and are following a prescriptive diet plan.

You cannot say a particular diet/lifestyle approach works for weight loss until you have lost the weight and kept it off indefinitely while going about your normal life. IMO the further removed a diet plan is from what you can easily do in normal everyday life long-term, the less likely you are to succeed with long-term weight loss.

The name of this clinic is "Motivation". If your motivation dwindles as soon as you stop attending their clinic, they surely they haven't done their job very well.

Incidentally, motivation is an intrinsic quality; it comes from you and nobody else. Motivation is what will make you want to eat well and exercise when nobody is watching.

• Advertisement

I ubderstand that some people differ when they come off of their plan. But one thing I know for sure is that I will never eat the same as u used to and that eating healthy is very important for health. Exercise is key.
    My reason for joining motivation is simple, to loose weight, to change my eating habits and to get fit and healthy.
    My background is one different to many, having lost both parents at a relatively young age I see that making healthy choices is very important. I do not want this pattern to reoccur within me. Clearly, motivation clinic is temporary but it is a programme that's get you started in your weight loss journey. Motivation is only the starting point and it is how you handle normal life is what is important. For some, they return to normal eating has before thus undoing their hard work.For others, they have learned new habits and plough on into every day life using the knowledge that they have learned in hope that they can live a long and healthy life

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Poanna

hi ladies

Well done!

I have tried every diet. I mean EVERY! lipotrim, weight watchers, slim fast, slimming world, ...... all of them.
    I think, maybe this is just me.. Is that weight loss motivational clinics are not just bout loosing weight and changing what you eat. For me anyway it is about emotions and dealing with stress and eating. I know the right foods but when I get upset, all hell breaks loose.
    I have lost 2 stone on this programme. my mind set is changing, I am able to deal with my stress and know the signs when I want to eat when i'm happy/sad/angry.
    Of course the weight will go back on if you don't keep it up yourself! We are supposed to be training ourselves into another lifestyle.We can't expect to go to the sessions and just be injection with motivation, we have to put the work in too. And its damn hard.
    I go to CBT aswell as motivation. My thoughts are I just want to be happy an healthy and if that costs a bit well I don't care. its working i feel great and well..who can put a price on that?
    Id love to hear how everyone else is doing?

Jason Todd wrote: »

Good:
    Felt great, looked great

Bad:
    Very expensive

So basically you know 4 people including yourself that shed absolutely no weight on this diet, except for a temporary loss in mass which you found again. Pointless diet.

Poanna wrote: »
    Well done!

I have tried every diet. I mean EVERY! lipotrim, weight watchers, slim fast, slimming world, ...... all of them.
    I think, maybe this is just me.. Is that weight loss motivational clinics are not just bout loosing weight and changing what you eat. For me anyway it is about emotions and dealing with stress and eating. I know the right foods but when I get upset, all hell breaks loose.
    I have lost 2 stone on this programme. my mind set is changing, I am able to deal with my stress and know the signs when I want to eat when i'm happy/sad/angry.
    Of course the weight will go back on if you don't keep it up yourself! We are supposed to be training ourselves into another lifestyle.We can't expect to go to the sessions and just be injection with motivation, we have to put the work in too. And its damn hard.
    I go to CBT aswell as motivation. My thoughts are I just want to be happy an healthy and if that costs a bit well I don't care. its working i feel great and well..who can put a price on that?
    Id love to hear how everyone else is doing?

My thoughts are the same, you can't put a price on happiness. I have my 13th weigh in tomoro and as of last saturday u was 2 stone 5 pounds lighter! I'm thrilled with my success. A size 12 is too big and I'm about 1/4 of an inch away from a ten. I still have a stone to loose so I'm excited to see what the next few weeks bring

That is great! I have quite a bit more to go. The lady I have my appointments with is brilliant! I actually started last September and lost 4 stone by christmas, my mum got sick and i paniced I wasnt stable enough with my emotions etc and I lost al control went back eating again like everything, i am a total binge eater too. I have just gone back and not guilt or shame, she was so happy to see me back it made me feel great and positive! I lost 11lbs my first week! This is probably due to putting it on super fast and I also did bucket loads of exercise!

• Advertisement

Losing four some between September and Christmas isn't healthy, just to point out, which further reinforces my belief that it's nothing but a crash diet.

That is great! I have quite a bit more to go. The lady I have my appointments with is brilliant! I actually started last September and lost 4 stone by christmas, my mum got sick and i paniced I wasnt stable enough with my emotions etc and I lost al control went back eating again like everything, i am a total binge eater too. I have just gone back and not guilt or shame, she was so happy to see me back it made me feel great and positive! I lost 11lbs my first week! This is probably due to putting it on super fast and I also did bucket loads of exercise!

Sounds like your on the right track. 11lb in one week is huge. Well done

Sounds like your on the right track. 11lb in one week is huge. Well done

4 stone in three months, or 11lbs in a week is not 'on the right track,' it's an unhealthy amount of weight to lose in such a short time, actually.

The fact that people doing Motivation seem to think this is fantastic shows just how little they're learning about food.

For the first two weeks or so, weight will fly off when you start cutting down on the calories. After that, you should only be losing 1-2lbs a week, for it to be sustainable in the long term.

4 stone in three months, or 11lbs in a week is not 'on the right track,' it's an unhealthy amount of weight to lose in such a short time, actually.

The fact that people doing Motivation seem to think this is fantastic shows just how little they're learning about food.

For the first two weeks or so, weight will fly off when you start cutting down on the calories. After that, you should only be losing 1-2lbs a week, for it to be sustainable in the long term.

And this weight loss was in week one if you read the post properly!! Obviously weight loss slows down and at the min I'm loosing 1/2 lb max a week!! Is that wrong in your opinion??!
    You also seem to forget that it depends on the weight of a person to begin with. A person with more weight to loose will obviously loose more in first week or two!!

And this weight loss was in week one if you read the post properly!! Obviously weight loss slows down and at the min I'm loosing 1/2 lb max a week!! Is that wrong in your opinion??!
    You also seem to forget that it depends on the weight of a person to begin with. A person with more weight to loose will obviously loose more in first week or two!!

You obviously didn't read the part about losing 4 stone in three months, then, no? That's not a good thing.

No, I think it's great that you're losing half a pound a week, I really do, and I'm delighted that you're finding the process so good for you. :) Even if I think it's a crash diet and a money making gimmick, I'm delighted for you because you've found something that works for you (although I'd honestly, no bitchiness intended, be curious to see if you maintain the loss after the time with Motivation is over).

I know a person with more weight to lose will lose more in the first few weeks, but losing 4 stone in three months isn't the 'first few weeks.' I had a hell of a lot of weight to lose (13 stone, to be precise) and I've lost 11 and a half of it and kept it all off, but I sure as hell didn't do any 4 stone in three month loss. I lost 9lbs in my first week, 10lbs in my second week and have been going at an average of a pound or so per week since, for three years. There's no way I can be convinced that a 4 stone loss in 3 months is a good thing.

You obviously didn't read the part about losing 4 stone in three months, then, no? That's not a good thing.

No, I think it's great that you're losing half a pound a week, I really do, and I'm delighted that you're finding the process so good for you. :) Even if I think it's a crash diet and a money making gimmick, I'm delighted for you because you've found something that works for you (although I'd honestly, no bitchiness intended, be curious to see if you maintain the loss after the time with Motivation is over).

I know a person with more weight to lose will lose more in the first few weeks, but losing 4 stone in three months isn't the 'first few weeks.' I had a hell of a lot of weight to lose (13 stone, to be precise) and I've lost 11 and a half of it and kept it all off, but I sure as hell didn't do any 4 stone in three month loss. I lost 9lbs in my first week, 10lbs in my second week and have been going at an average of a pound or so per week since, for three years. There's no way I can be convinced that a 4 stone loss in 3 months is a good thing.

I will do my very best to ensure I don't put the weight on again because I said in an earlier post that I lost my parents at a young age due to health reasons and I don't want the same to happen.

I exercise regularly too so getting fit and been able to run 10k is motivation. So for me motivation is only a very small part of my plan

I will do my very best to ensure I don't put the weight on again because I said in an earlier post that I lost my parents at a young age due to health reasons and I don't want the same to happen.

I exercise regularly too so getting fit and been able to run 10k is motivation. So for me motivation is only a very small part of my plan

See, that's the attitude I find really good, and it's the kind of attitude that will definitely help you maintain your weight loss. :)

It's just that, for a LOT of people (I have friends who have done Motivation, by the way), they can't keep up the changes afterwards, without knowing that they're going to be doing weigh ins and things like that. it's hard to keep motivated by yourself when you have nobody to answer to, and because Motivation is so expensive (nothing will justify that price to me, to be blunt), it's not something people can do for life.

I truly hope you keep the weight off, and you sound determined, but tbh you sound like one of the few people I could see keeping the weight off, because you have your own determination, that isn't driven by the fact that you have to answer to a person in Motivation regularly.

Best of luck with it. :)

See, that's the attitude I find really good, and it's the kind of attitude that will definitely help you maintain your weight loss. :)

It's just that, for a LOT of people (I have friends who have done Motivation, by the way), they can't keep up the changes afterwards, without knowing that they're going to be doing weigh ins and things like that. it's hard to keep motivated by yourself when you have nobody to answer to, and because Motivation is so expensive (nothing will justify that price to me, to be blunt), it's not something people can do for life.

I truly hope you keep the weight off, and you sound determined, but tbh you sound like one of the few people I could see keeping the weight off, because you have your own determination, that isn't driven by the fact that you have to answer to a person in Motivation regularly.

Best of luck with it. :)

Thank you. Health is determination in itself for me 😀

Thank you. Health is determination in itself for me 😀

That was what drove me, too, and I find it a great motivator. Hope to see you back in 6 months, saying you've kept the weight off and feel great. :)

Well unhealthy? So loose weight as due to serious exercise and water etc or risk heart attack?? Weight came off extremly quickly as I have gained alot of weight in a very short time. I binge eat. So of course it would come off quickly like that. I would like to point out that here I am pushin myself my mum sick, college work is tough; struggling with dieting. Proud of myself for doing it. Trying to e positive and happy and you come and try to crush it? Right or wrong. It is never nice to be unkind to someone.

• Advertisement

Well unhealthy? So loose weight as due to serious exercise and water etc or risk heart attack?? Weight came off extremly quickly as I have gained alot of weight in a very short time. I binge eat. So of course it would come off quickly like that. I would like to point out that here I am pushin myself my mum sick, college work is tough; struggling with dieting. Proud of myself for doing it. Trying to e positive and happy and you come and try to crush it? Right or wrong. It is never nice to be unkind to someone.

I'm not being unkind. I'm pointing out that it's considered to be unhealthy to lose a huge amount of weight in a short space of time. That's not being unkind, or trying to 'crush it,' it's being honest. I'm delighted that you've lost weight, but that kind of weight loss is too much, too fast.

But what is the definition of healthy weight loss? 1-2 a week? Cause I put on a stone in two ( terribly bad I know) but it doesn't effect me physically. Anywho it doesn't matter too much!

How is everyone else doing?

But what is the definition of healthy weight loss? 1-2 a week? Cause I put on a stone in two ( terribly bad I know) but it doesn't effect me physically. Anywho it doesn't matter too much!

How is everyone else doing?

After your first few weeks, yeah, 1-2lbs a week is considered a healthy weight loss. Putting on weight is a LOT easier than losing it tbh. If I have a bad week where I binge, I could easily put on 5-7lbs in that week, but thankfully that happens very rarely, so I'm at a stable 1lb a week, with 11 and a half stone gone and kept off. I'm not trying to bash you for losing weight, it's fantastic that you've gotten up and done something about it, I'm just trying to encourage you to do it in the healthiest way possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

I stopped posting on this forum as it is full of I have the only answer types, You do have to wonder why people come onto a thread called motivation weight loss clinic to give an opinion but have not done it themselves. Anyway my experience has been very positive and for me the why you eat not what you eat part has been huge, I have completely changed my lifestyle as well as my eating habits. Exercise has also been a huge thing for me and my only regret is that it took so long for me to make these changes. I would put in at least 300 km a week on the bike and about 20 km of running a few weight sessions and now starting to add swimming. My current goals are to lose another stone and a half and to do an iron man by the end of next year

My stats
    H 6 foot 1 inch
    16/01/2013 22 stone 2 pounds clothes 42 inch waist 2XL in most tops
    19/06/2013 15 stone 7 pounds clothes 34 inch waist M in tops

And weather or not people on an anonymous forum think the way I lost it is wrong or think I will weigh 24 stone by Christmas I really couldn't give a fiddlers

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Windchime

Hello all, I'm back again ! I was to give an update on how my motivation diet plan has been going but haven't had the time recently to log in. Anyway.....this week is my 4th week and all is going fine on it. 1st week down 2 Ilbs, 2nd week down, 3rd week 5Ilbs. I was starting to lose the plot the first two weeks and getting a little impatient as I was expecting to lose probably 4-5Ibs on each of the first two weeks. But in 3 weeks I have lost 9Ilbs which isn't too bad. I've lost one inch off my bust, two inches off my waist and two inches off my hips. Also I have being walking a good hour every evening which is obviously toning me up. I have to be honest, I do feel a lot better, healthier and brighter in myself since I started eating all these green foods. I haven't been starving and get a sufficient amount of food. I do tend to eat the same foods every day which gets a little boring but I have just being mindful and getting on with it. The protein bars help a lot and they are quite nice. I look forward to having them for my snacks. Just eager to get another stone off me and I will be a happy bunny. I feel my clothes a lot looser on me and I look a lot trimmer. Only one friend of mine knows I am on the diet. I couldn't tell anyone else even my family as they would think I was nuts giving that much money away. I just say that I am eating more healthy and doing more exercise. That's all they need to know. About 15 years ago, I was living in Australia at the time, my mother was on the motivation plan. She lost 4 stone. She is a demon for sweets, chocolate and cakes. She was listening to Gaybo on the radio one day and Dr. Laroque who created the diet, was talking to Gay Byrne and said that he is looking for four guinea pigs to go on the diet and he would guarantee weight loss. My mum rang up and volunteered and lost four stone. Kept it off for a while once she reached her target but went back to her old eating habits soon enough. She obviously didn't learn anything from the experience. I have generally always eaten healthy and have all exercised. Just over the past two years, I gained a couple of stone which I wanted to shed and wanted to be educated about eating healthy. Motivation for me is working. The rep did say that I need to work a lot harder on the diet than other people as I am fit and generally eat healthy. My problem was I only ate two meals a day (never junk food). Just breakfast and lunch. On this plan, I know now that I have to eat every 3-4 hours. Anyway....that's for now folks.

14 weigh ins completed and I've lost 37lbs, so 2 stone 9 pounds!! I'm feeling fab and am getting into a size 10!! Absolutely thrilled. Next weigh in Saturday, and I've 17lbs left to my goal. Hopefully I will get close on the next 9 weeks!! Not feeling hungry at all, exercising loads too and more importantly my confidence is soaring.

My stats so far:
    Starting weight: 13'5
    Current weight: 10'10
    Goal: 9'7
    Starting dress size: 14
    Current dress size: 10
    Goal dress size: 8
    Measurements done 2 weeks ago:
    Chest: 5 inches gone
    Waist: 7.5 inches gone
    Hips: 5 inches gone

• Registered Users Posts: 5 chickenman19

I created a new account just to post here (I'm very private and didn't want to use my usual boards username).

I've joined Motivation about two weeks ago to lose weight and to start eating healthily.

The consensus on this forum is that the diet consists of eating protein bars and effectively nothing else (basically a crash diet). This is just simply not true.

I was given a healthy-eating plan, where my regular meals are supplemented by small snacks (protein bar and fruit). The simple effect of these small snacks is that I'm not hungry between meals and therefore tend to have smaller "main" meals.

Also, by keeping a food diary I can spot situations where my diet falls down. For example, in the first two weeks I can see that if I skip meals I tend to eat more later to compensate. This is something that I'm now aware of and can avoid.

I don't see the programme as a short-term "diet" but as a mechanism to retrain myself or develop new more healthy habits.

So they obvious question is why didn't I do all this myself rather than forking out so much money to Motivation? For me at least, the weekly meetings give me a definite goal and keep me focused. And for now at least, I'm eating healthy and losing weight. I intend to continue my new habits long after the motivation programme has finished.

From my perspective, I'm paying for the personalised weekly meetings (not the protein bars). It's the help I need. If reading the forum sticky on diet and nutrition worked for me, I'd have gladly done that, but I needed that extra support.

So to sum up:
    1. I get a healthy eating plan, supplemented at the early stages by protein bars which are later removed/replaced.
    2. I get a weekly meeting to support my new eating plan.
    3. I hopefully develop new habits which I can continue with after the programme.

P.s. Before someone asks I don't work for MWM and am happy to PM my real username to anyone here if requested (just don't want to publish it here).

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I want just one person to come back on this thread after three years and say they haven't gained all the weight back.

I've seen the motivation material they give you, it's really NOT worth hundreds of euro, it's just platitudes about emotional eating while they stuff you with so much protein that you are not very hungry. (Protip: protein is easily obtained in the meat aisle of the supermarket and is 10 times healthier than those bars).

The information they give is free on the internet, the fact that they have the gall to charge over 1000 euro for 6 months of meetings with a COMPLETELY unqualified person that's hired off the street screams SCAM to me.

If you have a money to throw away by all means waste your money on yet another failed attempt to sort out a symptom of an underlying lifestyle issue.

Like has been recommended numerous times before, 1000 euro buys 6 months of a great personal trainer who unlike the con-artists, sorry consultants that work in motivation actually are trained to help people change their diet, exercise and permanent lifestyle.

I want just one person to come back on this thread after three years and say they haven't gained all the weight back.

I've seen the motivation material they give you, it's really NOT worth hundreds of euro, it's just platitudes about emotional eating while they stuff you with so much protein that you are not very hungry. (Protip: protein is easily obtained in the meat aisle of the supermarket and is 10 times healthier than those bars).

If you read my previous post, you'd know I'm not arguing that point. I'm not paying for the information. I'm paying for the structure and support given by the weekly meetings. I'm simply trying to replace bad eating habits with good eating habits. I could have gone to WW, but I like the privacy of MWL.
    The information they give is free on the internet, the fact that they have the gall to charge over 1000 euro for 6 months of meetings with a COMPLETELY unqualified person that's hired off the street screams SCAM to me.
    If you have a money to throw away by all means waste your money on yet another failed attempt to sort out a symptom of an underlying lifestyle issue.

You see, this is REALLY annoying. As I said in my previous post, the meal plans ARE healthy. You also mention "yet another failed attempt", which is very insulting. You know nothing about me or the other people who are in Motivation.

Like has been recommended numerous times before, 1000 euro buys 6 months of a great personal trainer who unlike the con-artists, sorry consultants that work in motivation actually are trained to help people change their diet, exercise and permanent lifestyle.

I run 2-3 times a week so I don't need a personal trainer. I want to eat healthily as much for my general healthy rather than losing weight. I'm developing good habits with MWL, so for me at least it's working well.

I'm not some naive simpleton who's been conned by MWL and I really resent the constant bashing of the system by people like yourself.

• Advertisement

You see, this is REALLY annoying. As I said in my previous post, the meal plans ARE healthy. You also mention "yet another failed attempt", which is very insulting. You know nothing about me or the other people who are in Motivation.

I run 2-3 times a week so I don't need a personal trainer. I want to eat healthily as much for my general healthy rather than losing weight. I'm developing good habits with MWL, so for me at least it's working well.

I'm not some naive simpleton who's been conned by MWL and I really resent the constant bashing of the system by people like yourself.

The meal plans are healthy and the idea of being weighed in each week will more than likely keep people on the straight and narrow because nobody likes failure. The problem is, what happens when you leave, and have nobody to answer to, no meal plans, nothing? It's not affordable for your average person to do the Motivation thing forever, so therefore it's not properly sustainable.

Running is great, and fair play for that, really, because (although I do it), I hate running. :pac: But a personal trainer would be a good idea for ANYONE interested in losing weight, they can teach you exercises that you can do that target specific areas, things that strengthen you, things that tone you and build muscle, rather than just running, which is grand for your legs and is good cardio, but weight training should be included tbh.

As I said before, I don't need a personal trainer. I've played and competed in sport all my life (at national and international level in fact).

I never worried about food because with the exercise I did, I burned off any excess calories.

Now in my 30's I want a more sustainable solution, where I can eat well and exercise well.

I could spend €30 an hour for 20 weeks with a personal trainer, but my issue is with food, not exercise. If 600 gives me life-long good eating habits, I think it's money well spent.

If people here don't agree - that's fine.

If you read my previous post, you'd know I'm not arguing that point. I'm not paying for the information. I'm paying for the structure and support given by the weekly meetings. I'm simply trying to replace bad eating habits with good eating habits. I could have gone to WW, but I like the privacy of MWL.

First of all my post was not directed towards you at all so I don't know why you are taking it personally.

But since you addressed me: I know the meal plan is healthy, as I said I have the literature. It's basically re-packaged South Beach with a bit of Protein Power chucked in. Those books can be bought in charity shops for around a euro each, tell me what you are paying the other 598 for? For someone to weigh you each week and spout some pop psychology in the process?

Do you think a personal trainer can't tell you about nutrition and motivate you? Because I will tell you now the good ones actually have real credentials in doing just that, unlike the random punters that work in Motivation. It's also a little bit presumptuous of you to think just because you run 2-3 times a week you would gain nothing from personal training. Good compound lifting will transform you far more than running, trust me on that.

But as I said in the previous post, if people want to waste their money, that is their choice.

I wish you the very best of luck and come back and rub my nose in it in three years time.:P

First of all my post was not directed towards you at all so I don't know why you are taking it personally.

But since you addressed me: I know the meal plan is healthy, as I said I have the literature. It's basically re-packaged South Beach with a bit of Protein Power chucked in. Those books can be bought in charity shops for around a euro each, tell me what you are paying the other 598 for? For someone to weigh you each week and spout some pop psychology in the process?

Do you think a personal trainer can't tell you about nutrition and motivate you? Because I will tell you now the good ones actually have real credentials in doing just that, unlike the random punters that work in Motivation. It's also a little bit presumptuous of you to think just because you run 2-3 times a week you would gain nothing from personal training. Good compound lifting will transform you far more than running, trust me on that.

But as I said in the previous post, if people want to waste their money, that is their choice.

I wish you the very best of luck and come back and rub my nose in it in three years time.:P

As I said in a previous post:

I've played and competed in sport all my life (at national and international level in fact). I've been lifting weights for the last 17 years so exercise is not the issue for me.

I'm glad you can manage your diet effectively without the support of MWL or WW, but some of us decide we want that extra support.

I teach in third level. I don't rebuke students who need/pay for extra support. I do all the work on my own car. I don't rebuke other who decide to pay a mechanic.

If you're not interested in MWL, I don't understand why you continue to post in this thread, undermining the efforts of us who do.

I'm not undermining anyone's efforts, neither am I saying people don't benefit from in-person support, of course they do.

I'm just saying that Motivation is a rip-off, they are overcharging for information and support available elsewhere for much cheaper.

I don't know why if you are comfortable with your decision you are bothering to get so defensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

I know ive posted extensively on MWL here before but perhaps its worth repeat a summary

I did 2 terms of motivation, bought all their bars\shakes blah blah blah...loved my weekly meeting...my consultant was kinda hot ;)

Naturally enough weight came off, They suggested some exercise, i joined a gym and started some machine weights and a little running, progressing to spin class and some more machines and eventually to the dreaded(at the time) free weight room.

All the time in the gym surrounded by people in shape helped me outgrow MWL, it had served its purpose and i was ready to move on and independantly continue. It should be noted that when i did leave the gave me the old "you may not make it without us" line.....but i left and im still doing well and heading(not too far off single digit body fat)

Yes it is expensive, yes the bars are just a gimmick, but MWL started me on the road to a place where i never thought i could get to. When i started i could jog for 6 mins and my first ever bench 1rm test i failed at 40kg, i had a 50 inch waist and my shirts were like small tents. Now i can bench 120kg and im doing oly ring dips and pull ups, my newest jeans are a 32 inch waist and my polo shirt size has gone from 5xl to a medium.

If you can afford it....do it..and use it to get you started...but dont rely on it...become independant after a term or 2 and move on from there!

• Advertisement

xgtdec wrote: »
    Yes it is expensive,

This is pretty much my fundamental point, WHY is it so expensive? What are they offering that is so special that cannot be gotten for MUCH cheaper elsewhere?

As far as I can see there's nothing to justify the extortionate price-tag, other than the feeling that 'Oh crap, I've just spent a grand, better get something out of it' :)

My time with motivation had changed completely. 1. Food habits have changed, I am never hungry as I eat s regular intervals 2. I exercise a lot more, even though I exercised before my weight loss has gave me confidence to push and train harder 3. I am healthier. Having suffered with high blood pressure since teens I believed that I, like both parents, would end up in an early grave. My blood pressure is now normal 4. I am confident 5. I am happy
    This is a life change and is NOT a quick fix!!

My time with motivation had changed completely. 1. Food habits have changed, I am never hungry as I eat s regular intervals 2. I exercise a lot more, even though I exercised before my weight loss has gave me confidence to push and train harder 3. I am healthier. Having suffered with high blood pressure since teens I believed that I, like both parents, would end up in an early grave. My blood pressure is now normal 4. I am confident 5. I am happy
    This is a life change and is NOT a quick fix!!

Every single one of your posts on boards is promoting Motivation, and a lot of them sound like a sales pitch. My shill alert is tingling.

Every single one of your posts on boards is promoting Motivation, and a lot of them sound like a sales pitch. My shill alert is tingling.

Eh no I don't work for them and if you want I can pm u my employment status. Don't make assumptions about me when u do not know me.
    I have very good reasons to be on this programme as I stated before that I DO NOT want to die before I am 50 like both my parents and leave orphans behind!!
    Again, DO NOT assume U know me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

This is pretty much my fundamental point, WHY is it so expensive? What are they offering that is so special that cannot be gotten for MUCH cheaper elsewhere?

As far as I can see there's nothing to justify the extortionate price-tag, other than the feeling that 'Oh crap, I've just spent a grand, better get something out of it' :)

Yeah i prolly couldnt disagree with that, At the time i would try anything and in reality its possible that MWL takes distinct advantage of that sort of desperation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement