Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cost of owning a motorcycle?

• 23-02-2013 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

I have my eye on a CBR 125 ,I'll be 16 in a few weeks , have experience on 2 stroke dirtbikes that realistically have more power than these (just saying i can handle serious acceleration but i understand its much easier on a dirtbike to maneuver ), I will be 16 very soon and iwant to get a license, ive read the stickies and i know the process but i want t know the overall cost.
    08 CBR 125 - more or less €1000
    gear - €200 ( i have my sources;))
    insurance - €1000 minimum
    driving tests - ?
    driving lessons ( are they required or is it just once off training with an instructor??) - ?
    license - ? (and how often do they need to be renewed??)
    things like nct and tax - ?
    anything else?

P.S cost of a learner permit, what it entitles you to and how it differs from a provisional?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Answers in bold
    lb1997 wrote: »
    I have my eye on a CBR 125 ,I'll be 16 in a few weeks , have experience on 2 stroke dirtbikes that realistically have more power than these (just saying i can handle serious acceleration but i understand its much easier on a dirtbike to maneuver ), I will be 16 very soon and iwant to get a license, ive read the stickies and i know the process but i want t know the overall cost.
    08 CBR 125 - more or less €1000
    gear - €200 ( i have my sources;))
    insurance - €1000 minimum

driving lessons ( are they required or is it just once off training with an instructor??) - ?
    IBT as per it's name it's only intial and basic training, you will need more lessons for road riding.

license - ? (and how often do they need to be renewed??)
    driving tests - ?

All the rest

things like nct and tax - ?
    anything else?

No NCT for bikes and yes you need motor tax

P.S cost of a learner permit, what it entitles you to and how it differs from a provisional?

There's no such thing as a provisional any more. People seemed to think that because it said licence they didn't need to do a test so they called it a Learners Permit to avoid the confusion, but the Irish haven't got over the old ways yet. Info is in the link for Learner drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lb1997

Del2005 wrote: »
    Answers in bold

THANK YOU

but im more concerned about the costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭gipi

IBT can range from €350-€500+ (figures based on posts here and elsewhere) for 16 hrs which is the minimum requirement to be legally on the road.

Learner permit is €35 plus cost of eye test plus cost of photographs. Lasts 2 years.
    Road tax is €88 per year for bigger bikes, not sure if it's less than that for 125s.

You'll also need to do a theory test (don't know how much that is - it cost me about 35 euro back in 2006), and the bike test itself costs €85, but you can't do that for 6 months after you get on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Have you managed to get a quote on a cbr? They'll be in a higher insurance group than most 125s. If you're looking to cut costs you could consider something less sporty, even just for the first year til you build up some no claims bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

Whatever it costs trust me it is well worth it when you finally get out on the road :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

IBT as per it's name it's only intial and basic training, you will need more lessons for road riding.

This isn't true. You don't NEED more lessons for road riding, once IBT is complete you and you are insured you're legally allowed ride on the road.

OP, I got started last year, it cost me about 3300 over all, I'll give the best breakdown I can.

1400 - Bike
    350 - IBT
    45 - Theory Test
    15 - Licence (I believe this has drastically increased now though)
    800 - Insurance (paid by Direct Debit through the year)
    160 - Helmet
    100 - Textile Trousers
    60 - Gloves

I had an old Leather Jacket from my dad that I use though, and got a few other things for Xmas like a paddock stand.

Start up costs are pretty high, but get a Haynes Manual and fix most things yourself you'll be grand, it's pretty simple in the maintenance department.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Pedro K

I'd say you'll find it difficult to insure a CBR at 16. Could be looking at the mad money territory. Have you even gotten any quotes yet?

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Have you managed to get a quote on a cbr? They'll be in a higher insurance group than most 125s. If you're looking to cut costs you could consider something less sporty, even just for the first year til you build up some no claims bonus.
    are you sure if i can get a quote if im 15 and have no bike or license?
    also i have made a change in plan. i gonna buy a 250f or 125 2stroke dual sport bike of soem kind and use in feilds and such and insure it when im old enough because honestly i had a dirtbike and shouldnt have sold it, it was a load of fun and few of my friends still have them.
    oh and 125 f would be too underpowered for me in a dual sport anyway( wont mention 125 f road bikes cos i neever tryed one but id idid try 125 dirtbikes and dual sports an franklt they are WAY too underpowered for me

This isn't true. You don't NEED more lessons for road riding, once IBT is complete you and you are insured you're legally allowed ride on the road.

OP, I got started last year, it cost me about 3300 over all, I'll give the best breakdown I can.

1400 - Bike
    350 - IBT
    45 - Theory Test
    15 - Licence (I believe this has drastically increased now though)
    800 - Insurance (paid by Direct Debit through the year)
    160 - Helmet
    100 - Textile Trousers
    60 - Gloves

I had an old Leather Jacket from my dad that I use though, and got a few other things for Xmas like a paddock stand.

Start up costs are pretty high, but get a Haynes Manual and fix most things yourself you'll be grand, it's pretty simple in the maintenance department.

what age were you and what year was this cos that seems like a nice price
    oh and what about your bike- engine and style of it?
    btw thanks for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

are you sure if i can get a quote if im 15 and have no bike or license?
    also i have made a change in plan. i gonna buy a 250f or 125 2stroke dual sport bike of soem kind and use in feilds and such and insure it when im old enough because honestly i had a dirtbike and shouldnt have sold it, it was a load of fun and few of my friends still have them.

what age were you and what year was this cos that seems like a nice price
    oh and what about your bike- engine and style of it?
    btw thanks for that

I'm 23, started last year in August. Was 23 then as well. Did my IBT in Waterford with Roadskill.

You'd be looking at another 120 or so for a decent jacket though.

Bike is a 125 Varadero, PERFECT starter bike if you are over 5'10. It's a 4 stroke but absolutely lovely.

Go onto Liberty and look up quotes but put your birthday so that you are 16 with all other variables correct.

• Advertisement

I'm 23, started last year in August. Was 23 then as well. Did my IBT in Waterford with Roadskill.

You'd be looking at another 120 or so for a decent jacket though.

Bike is a 125 Varadero, PERFECT starter bike if you are over 5'10. It's a 4 stroke but absolutely lovely.

Go onto Liberty and look up quotes but put your birthday so that you are 16 with all other variables correct.

yeah, i just mentioned there ill wait till im 18 and get a 250f or 2t 125 dual sporter at my 16th and use it in the bog and fields etc. i guess insurance will be quite a bit for one of them but ive a lot longer to wait so i can save alot more;)
    i have motocross gear thatll do for now, itss bulky but does the job( probbaly does a better job!)
    and i went onto liberty and i said i was 16 and i had to put a reg in, what will a ido/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭gipi

I think what the poster meant is that the IBT is what you need to get on the road, but more training is always good.

i went onto liberty and i said i was 16 and i had to put a reg in, what will a ido/
    Make one up. It doesn't check.

Make one up. It doesn't check.

€416!?
    is that possible?! or is it a mistake?

€416!?
    is that possible?! or is it a mistake?
    Seems crazy cheap for a 16 year old. Do it again and see if its giving the same kind of price. Just in case you've put something in wrong!

I paid 1500 for a year on a 49cc moped when I was 16 (2006). What I would have done for a cbr 125 back then!

Seems crazy cheap for a 16 year old. Do it again and see if its giving the same kind of price. Just in case you've put something in wrong!

I paid 1500 for a year on a 49cc moped when I was 16 (2006). What I would have done for a cbr 125 back then!

thats for an 18 year old but couild it still be that cheap?
    oh and the quoting service is down for the night

thats for an 18 year old but couild it still be that cheap?
    oh and the quoting service is down for the night
    Ring them in the morning. Only thing for it. :cool:

alright thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Ive tried looking insurance for a CBR125 and Im 19 and have yet to get a quote of liberty. I wouldnt be suprised if in the end it was 2000+

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Ive tried looking insurance for a CBR125 and Im 19 and have yet to get a quote of liberty. I wouldnt be suprised if in the end it was 2000+
    From my experience with Quinn/Liberty they dont give mad expensive quotes like that. They either refuse outright or will give a fairly reasonable quote.

• Advertisement

From my experience with Quinn/Liberty they dont give mad expensive quotes like that. They either refuse outright or will give a fairly reasonable quote.

yeah i experimented a bit on liberty and even when i put down the most risky scenario the quote was very reasonable (€850 euro tops

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Pedro K

yeah i experimented a bit on liberty and even when i put down the most risky scenario the quote was very reasonable (€850 euro tops
    Seems strange. I'm with liberty, 24, full A licence, two years no claims and my renewal on a cbr250rr this year is €600.

I can not see how you, at 16 with a learners permit and no no claims bonus, are possibly getting a maximum quote of €850 on any sporty type of bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Cost of owning a motorbike-- Personally I borrowed 3000 to cover Bike, Gear , tax & insurance. 3000 is a decent budget to start off with but it soon gets eaten up. I initially thought having a bike would save a few quid on using the car but it has not worked out like that ( so far ):o I more or less didnt use the bike over the winter months but that's my own fault. Now im in a situation that the bike is well overdue a service & last week the fork seals started leaking so the bike will be shed bound until I get it sorted. To be honest Ill have to put some hard consideration into renewing insurance come June. Completing the extra modules of the IBT is way down the line also. Trouble is bills and mortgage are top of the list and the bike is last. Having work done on my partners car and my own has cost me just shy of 1000 alone over the last 2 months.

My insurance was about 500 last year. Hopefully it will be closer to the 300 mark this year. I have heard good things about Adelaide insurance so ill be calling them first.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Baz 46

Looking at getting a new bike after a few years away etc. €1500 to insure a HD 883, valued @ 9k and I'm almost 40.
    The Ins Companies are costing bike dealers big time. It's has really put me off buying what is essentially going to be a weekend bike.
    I should probably look at something a bit older and cheaper to insure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

^^^ Are you on a LP or Full? NCB? Seems very steep.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Baz 46

Faith+1 wrote: »
    ^^^ Are you on a LP or Full? NCB? Seems very steep.

On a direct A prov. I'll have to check around. Had my old gsxr 600 xrad with CN in my late 20s for around 600!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You are a first time biker as far as the insurance company is concerned, in one of the highest risk groups.

Did you know that the accident rates for motorcyclists peak in the mid 40's, primarily with back to bike males?

Baz 46 wrote: »
    Looking at getting a new bike after a few years away etc. €1500 to insure a HD 883, valued @ 9k and I'm almost 40.
    The Ins Companies are costing bike dealers big time. It's has really put me off buying what is essentially going to be a weekend bike.
    Hows that mid life crisis working out for ya? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Baz 46 wrote: »

something wrong there, I'd have thought: my SO went back on a bike last year after 10yrs off the road, so no NCB, starting from scratch (but full licence), SV650S - €270 with Liberty.

And an SV would be considered higher risk than an 883.

did you lose your licence or.... ? how did get insured on a Gixxer if you didn't have a licence at the time ?

Oh, and, you have to do some training to get considered by some companies: AON wouldn't even quote the SO this year, even with 1 yrs NCB and training: but they will next year.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

the 9k value prob aint helping

Advertisement