Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards is hiring banner

Options
  • 23-02-2013 12:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

That banner you have stuck at the top of the page is a real pain when trying to surf the site on an iPhone. Won't go away and keeps itself stuck to the top of the screen.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I misinterpreted the header: Boards is about to employ somebody to wield the ban-hammer.

'Bout time, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

I would have put in quotation marks but I couldn't really read what I was typing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I misinterpreted the header: Boards is about to employ somebody to wield the ban-hammer.

'Bout time, too.

Now that would be a fun job, hint hint ;)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

'Bout time, too.

I can demonstrate mine for you if you like? :cool:

The banner is a permanent fixture on android as well btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

If you look really closely there should be a little X on the bottom right corner to close it. At least there was on mine. (Android - Dolphin Mini browser).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

OK. First project for the new hire is- create code that makes the banner disappear after user logs in :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

Clicking the little x is easier said than done. As you can see in this screenshot from my Android phone, the bottom part of the x is sitting behind the Boards.ie banner. I had to go find a stylus because it was impossible to get rid of with my finger.

2uf3ltj.png

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The x was like that on my phone (iPhone) and I managed to get rid of the banner ad but I tried to get rid of it on my husband's Android (just in case it was a fat finger problem rather than an Android problem) and I couldn't.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Looked like this on my HTC and just dismissed it now with one click.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

miamee wrote: »
    Looked like this on my HTC and just dismissed it now with one click.

What browser are you using? I tried two (Dolphin HD and Quick ICS) on my SGS2 and just can't remove the banner at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Zaph wrote: »

What browser are you using? I tried two (Dolphin HD and Quick ICS) on my SGS2 and just can't remove the banner at all.
    Google Chrome

Adyx wrote: »
    If you look really closely there should be a little X on the bottom right corner to close it. At least there was on mine. (Android - Dolphin Mini browser).

This reminds me of the kind of advice you get when you call sky. "now i need you to turn off your box at the plug and turn it back on again. I'll walk you through it and count down with you." But thanks anyway Adyx.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Viewing the full site on the s3 with firefox i found it difficult to get rid of. If i tried zooming in to better click the x it disappeared off the screen to the right.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Got rid of it on mine just by going into landscape and it was then clickable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

SB2013 wrote: »
    This reminds me of the kind of advice you get when you call sky. "now i need you to turn off your box at the plug and turn it back on again. I'll walk you through it and count down with you." But thanks anyway Adyx.
    I aim to please. :cool: Although I'm insulted at the comparison to Sky.

It's gone on mine now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Very annoying for me too. I got rid of it by hitting the X eventually, but not before I ended up on Adverts viewing the ad many times first.

I hope Boards don't misinterpret all these mis-hits at the X as genuine interest in the role...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Adyx wrote: »

Spent 10 mins trying to select that, because I kept hitting the link for the job advert. Had those problems last time they've used that banner too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Your phones all suck HTC desire, used the middle rolly thingy button ma jig and got rid of it in less time than it took for me to boast about getting rid of it here!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Yeah there's a problem with the small X when viewing the site on an Andriod.

Probably a quick fix for the tech lads in the Morning

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

AltAccount wrote: »
    I hope Boards don't misinterpret all these mis-hits at the X as genuine interest in the role...

No, if you were interested you'd send in a CV :P

We'll squeeze this fix in as soon as we can; funnily enough we're a little low on man power at the minute :)

Thanks for the bug reports

Danny

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Be careful with this chap. Honestly, he's a good, hard worker, highly qualified and very intelligent and sociable, but he has severe anger issues. You really wouldn't like him when he's angry.

Advertisement