Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help?

Options
  • 23-02-2013 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,006 ✭✭✭

Hi people,

Well I'm 23 now next month, I left school at 15 with no leaving cert just my junior cert. The last few months I've really set my mind on going to college and getting an education. I just can't stand the idea of going through my whole life in dead end jobs and I'd like to be a good role model for my son as well.

Problem is I've no idea where I stand with it all, If I'd even be eligible for it. I'm currently in part time employment and living with my fiancee. I've decided I will move back to my parents if and when I could get a course.

Computers is what I'm really interested in, Would like to get into networking.

Where do I start? What do I do? It's all a bit daunting :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Iopu

baraca wrote: »
    Hi people,

Well I'm 23 now next month, I left school at 15 with no leaving cert just my junior cert. The last few months I've really set my mind on going to college and getting an education. I just can't stand the idea of going through my whole life in dead end jobs and I'd like to be a good role model for my son as well.

Problem is I've no idea where I stand with it all, If I'd even be eligible for it. I'm currently in part time employment and living with my fiancee. I've decided I will move back to my parents if and when I could get a course.

Computers is what I'm really interested in, Would like to get into networking.

Where do I start? What do I do? It's all a bit daunting :(
    Your probably best off doing a fetac level 5 course first and progressing to a degree. Look for a plc college near you that does the citxx information technology award. You should also look into the DIT mature student access course. I think it's not too late to apply for this year. It's for people that are 22+. Upon successful completion you are offered a place in your chosen course.
    Since you are nearly 23 you can apply to the uni's as mature next year.
    But I didn't get in anywhere my first time applying. So I am trying again this year. With the fetac award for my best chances of getting something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,006 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Iopu wrote: »
    Your probably best off doing a fetac level 5 course first and progressing to a degree. Look for a plc college near you that does the citxx information technology award. You should also look into the DIT mature student access course. I think it's not too late to apply for this year. It's for people that are 22+. Upon successful completion you are offered a place in your chosen course.
    Since you are nearly 23 you can apply to the uni's as mature next year.
    But I didn't get in anywhere my first time applying. So I am trying again this year. With the fetac award for my best chances of getting something.

Thanks for your reply, Looks like the FETAC option is the way for me. Only college near me I can see that is doing CITXX is in Kilkenny (is there a list I can view?) Kilkenny wouldn't be too bad but is there any other FETAC courses that will lead down the same path?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Check your local VEC site.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭jd80

For networking alone you could complete the industry recognised certifications such as CCNA from CISCO without a degree.

If you know nothing about networks the the COmpTIA Network + is a good starting point - do not think that it is easy though just because it is entry level course

These courses (CCNA and comptia) are available on the FAS website to complete via moodle - online learning with tutor support.

If you are unemployed, they are free - otherwise they are only about €200 each

That is good value considering the rip off prices charged for 5 day cram CCNA courses - and you will NOT learn it in five days.

There is also a course in network cabling being held in Carlow IT at the moment or starting again soon

jd80 wrote: »
    For networking alone you could complete the industry recognised certifications such as CCNA from CISCO without a degree.

If you know nothing about networks the the COmpTIA Network + is a good starting point - do not think that it is easy though just because it is entry level course

These courses (CCNA and comptia) are available on the FAS website to complete via moodle - online learning with tutor support.

If you are unemployed, they are free - otherwise they are only about €200 each

That is good value considering the rip off prices charged for 5 day cram CCNA courses - and you will NOT learn it in five days.

There is also a course in network cabling being held in Carlow IT at the moment or starting again soon

Would potential employers look on these courses as favourabe as going the degree route??

• Advertisement

I think employers who are employing a pure network technician or a pure network manager would look on these industry courses more than a degree course.

these are hands on courses. I doubt any degree will include them ( a FETAC course might)

If you are going to do networking, then the CCNA is starting point. The comptia isn't recognised so much in industry but it is good to do before the CCNA to obtain a solid foundation.

You might only get so far without the degree. Later, if you wanted to become a team leader etc. or move up the ladder you probably would need the degree - even if you could do the job without it.

A degree is seen as displaying an ability to reason, to learn on your own, to be able to problem solve, being able to work unsupervised, having reached a certain level of known education etc. etc.

That course in Carlow is Fibre Optic cable installation

Aso not bad to know if you are going down the network route

However, it is for the unemployed

http://www.momentumskills.ie/

Remember too that if you just do networking you will be limited to that area.

That said it is a better area to be in than doing general PC support. Irrespective of what end devices are used or if cloud computing i used - a network of some sort will always be needed.

PC support usually means having to know a lot and interfacing more with end users who only contact you when there is a problem and are usually frustrated beyond belief by the time they do.

If you want to do networking, the industry courses should be completed. It is no harm to do a related degree as well be that first via a FETAC course or whatever

"these are hands on courses. I doubt any degree will include them ( a FETAC course might)"
    Actualy, I happen to know of 2 degree courses that include CCNA. DIT's Networking Technologies and Institute of Technology Blanchardstown's Computing both do CCNA.
    I am also doing CCNA in my fetac course!

"these are hands on courses. I doubt any degree will include them ( a FETAC course might)"
    Actualy I happen to know of 2 degree courses that include CCNA. DIT's Networking Technologies and Institute of Technology Blanchardstown's Computing both do CCNA.
    I am also doing CCNA in my fetac course!

Yeah, well thats ok then.

Do you get the degree and the CCNA qualification?

Yes

• Advertisement

Yeah that DIT course doesn't look bad.

Ordinary degree - 3 years with placement and the CCNA - no math or such like - geared as hands on rather than theoretical - some programming

Just might be a general problem for the OP to get directly onto any degree course as he/she says they did not complete a leaving cert.

Also no direct experience of networking from what I have read.

Yeah that DIT course doesn't look bad.

Ordinary degree - 3 years with placement and the CCNA - no math or such like - geared as hands on rather than theoretical - some programming

Just might be a general problem for the OP to get directly onto any degree course as he/she says they did not complete a leaving cert.

Also no direct experience of networking from what I have read.
    Well, there are a few ways onto that course without a leaving certificate. As a mature applicant. By taking their mature student access course. Or by progression from a fetac level 5 award.

Well there are a few ways onto this course without a leaving certificate. As a mature applicant. By taking their mature student access course. Or by progression from a fetac level 5 award.

Yes, I said he will not be able to get on it directly.

He will have to investigate and if applicable, go via one of the routes you suggest

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm going to do the compTIA A+ and then maybe Network+. Then down the road I can look at maybe CCNA.

I'm going head first here because if I hang around I put things off. I've ordered mike meyers book on A+ with a view to doing it in a month or so.

Wish me luck

• Site Banned Posts: 253 ✭✭theidiots

Would potential employers look on these courses as favourabe as going the degree route??

Yes as most IT college courses in Ireland are a joke.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm going to do the compTIA A+ and then maybe Network+. Then down the road I can look at maybe CCNA.

I'm going head first here because if I hang around I put things off. I've ordered mike meyers book on A+ with a view to doing it in a month or so.

Wish me luck

A+ is ok to help understand computer basics. There is a noticeable step up from that to Network +

Not sure if the A+ is of much help to be honest

I would not skip on the Network + if you intend to do the CCNA and have little network experience.

The Network + is a good vendor independent foundation of network theory and practice etc.

CCNA will be more CISCO specific.

If you get on those FAS courses for A+ or Network + there are hundreds of online books available for free to consult

Also professor messor's videos on Youtube are a help

Best of luck

A+ is ok to hep understand computer basics. There is a noticable step up from that to Network + Not sure if the A+ is of any help there to be honest

If you get on those FAS courses for A+ or Network there are hundreds of online books available for free to consult

Also professor messor's videos on Youtube are a good help

Best of luck

I'm familiar with computers but not in great detail, I just feel A+ will be a good stepping stone and it won't harm to have it on the CV and it along with Network+ might land me a helpdesk or support role and I think I'd find it easier to study if I was actually working in the field.

I've been pointed in the direction of those videos alright I've had a look and they look very helpful.

Do you work in the industry?

I edited my last post - so you can look at it again.

I was in IT and wish I had spent more time learning about networking in particular.

It is an exciting area.

General helpdesk (1st level) is hell. You get no respect and are badly paid.

I would advise you try and get an internship/placement - even if you have to work for free in the networking area with a good company - if that is the area you want to go into.

I would not do general helpdesk too long - if you have to do it, try and get a role in networking from it after a few months.

What I failed to add is of course, as with most things in life you should do networking if you have a genuine interest in it and not for the money

If you are good at it, the money should hopefully follow.

I can imagine helpdesk wouldn't be the most rewarding role but I'd like to look at it as the first step on the ladder more than anything. Networking is what I think I'd be most interested in at the moment that could of course change which is why I want to do A+ which might open my eyes to another part I would enjoy more.

I'm not in it for the money firstly, It's more that I just want a good solid career that is future proof and I can't think of any better than IT.

Of course it's what i'm really interested in as well.

• Advertisement

Apologies for all the questions but does anyone know if the below includes the price of the two A+ exams?? If not would I be better off just reading mike meyers book and just sitting the exam

http://www.ecollege.ie/site/pages/courses/modules/comptiaA+/comptiaA+2009.html

Nothing is future proof.

IT changes rapidly and like most things in life, you have to be prepared to learn all the time.

I find that whilst networking does change, it is not as fast as other areas of IT

But you are still young and can experiment a bit, yet still have time to correct any career mistakes that may occur.

Project management skills are also vital in IT - for example you will not be able to update firmware on a number of switch on a productive network without testing it beforehand and having a plan of action to minimise disruption when you carry out the actual updates.

I have seen it too many times where admins go at projects in an ad-hoc manner and end up bringing the company to a halt

But a lot of that comes form experience

Apologies for all the questions but does anyone know if the below includes the price of the two A+ exams?? If not would I be better off just reading mike meyers book and just sitting the exam

I think for the A+ there is only one exam - check it out on comptia.com

If you are unemployed and register for the course through FAS, they will pay for the first sitting of the exam.

The 120 is to gain access to the skillsoft/moodle online course and tutor support

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭simon0brien

You should get an idea of what you want to do and then go to your citizens advice center or if you are on social welfare to your welfare office/ contacts and arrange a meeting with the local career guidance councilor.. They know all the adult education and financial pathways like the back of their hand.. And they will be there with you all the way :)

Advertisement