Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Focusrite Saffire 6 USB [Problem]

• 23-02-2013 1:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

There's this really annoying high pitch ringing sound coming from the interface. I know it's the interface because I've unplugged it from the usb and the high pitch ringing stops. If I put my ear up close to the interface I can hear it's coming from inside.

I've had the Saffire 6 for almost 4 months and I started to notice the high pitch ringing about a month ago. I'd say the ringing is in the 16-17khz region.

I'm using balanced cables with Yamaha HS50m's.

Anyone ever experience anything similar with their sound cards?

There is a chance that the ringing noise is associated with the device being electrical but I'm not sure...

Hopefully I don't have to go through the hassle of getting a replacement.

Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Is the interface powered directly from USB or mains powered? If the latter can you swap the power lead? Bit of a long shot but you never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

mordeith wrote: »
    Is the interface powered directly from USB or mains powered? If the latter can you swap the power lead? Bit of a long shot but you never know.

It's powered via USB. I'm gonna see if swapping cable does anything for me.
    I'll test the interface on a friends computer later to see if the problem is somehow relative to my on-board USB's as well.

Cheers! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭peter05

Blown resistors make a high pitch squeal when they have blown or about to blow. Could be that?

It is still under warranty. I would return it.

Let us know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

peter05 wrote: »
    Blown resistors make a high pitch squeal when they have blown or about to blow. Could be that?

It is still under warranty. I would return it.

Let us know.

Considering returning it. I listened carefully to where the high pitch ringing is coming from and it's right near where the firewire USB plugs into the device. I'd say there's some problem on the board ffs.

I think it's still in warranty. Well I think I've got a 3 years manufacturers warranty.

Haven't tried a different cable yet, friend isn't home yet so I'll be doing that later, hopefully that magically fixes it.

Advertisement