Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lamb shank

Options
  • 23-02-2013 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭

I know it's a bit late to be asking but....

Picked up one lamb shank this evening. Never cooked it before.
    Can someone tell me a simple way and recipe to cook it.

Seal it, put it in oven and add some stock, wine and herbs it's what springs to mind.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Loads of threads on here if you do a search, it's how I learned.

Basically you've the right idea, seal it in a frying pan (hint, if you don't have a tongs, get one, as they are a bugger to move around to seal evenly) or do it in the oven.

Then add casserole ingredients, and bake at a low heat for a couple of hours.

There is a lovely recipe similar to one I use here

Delicious, relatively cheap, and just fantastically good to eat :)

One of myself and the OHs favourite meals, you've reminded me of it, I'll be picking up a couple this week :)

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I should say that I'm doing a portion for one. Obviously I'll reduce the ingredients but I'm concerned that I won't get the volume of liquid correct.
    Any idea how I should gauge it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Just out of curiosity, is it not a very bad time of year to be buying 'lamb'?I would have thought it would be more like hogget at this time of year?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Depends on the cut and how you are cooking it. I did a shank for 10hours in the slow cooker last night. It was definitely from an older animal. There was enough meat on one to feed two adults and a bit for baba. It was much darker too. It was really flavoursome though

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Elegant Chaos

Hogget would be preferable for slow cooking I think - better flavour and texture.
    OP, don't know if you've eaten your shank by now, but I find a sprinkling of gremolata (finely chopped parsley, lemon zest and garlic) at the end really helps to lift the flavour and contrasts nicely with the rich flavour of the meat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Merkin wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, is it not a very bad time of year to be buying 'lamb'?I would have thought it would be more like hogget at this time of year?

Yes, but its a matter of taste. I really like hogget. The meat is darker and has loads of depth of flavour.

A shank would be divine. I am off to the butcher.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Back to the OPs question.

I casserole lamb shank in wine, a very small amount of stock, a blob of tomato puree, herbs and loads of cloves of garlic.

Dont worry too much about the amount of liquid. Use slightly more than you need,make sure it doesn't dry out and if it is too runny you can transfer the liquid to a pot and simmer it to reduce it down when the lamb is cooked.

Perfect. Cheers folks.
    My girlfriend doesn't like lamb and she's awy this weekendd so I'm treating myself.

Slattsy wrote: »
    Perfect. Cheers folks.
    My girlfriend doesn't like lamb and she's awy this weekendd so I'm treating myself.

I'm with your girlfriend on this one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Perfect. Cheers folks.
    Since your spelling got a little iffy in this post, can I presume the cooking wine has been opened? :D
    Actually, you've put me in the mind for lamb today, thanks!

• Advertisement

Ha ha.
    It's the SwiftKey app on my phone, it can be a bit odd when typing on boards sometimes.
    It's only half 10!

I'm with your girlfriend on this one!

Boooo

Boooo

I know, I'd a very bad experience of being served mutton in Spain.I can just about manage very young organic spring lamb but if I get even a hint of a 'sheepy' smell I'm out of there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

I know, I'd a very bad experience of being served mutton in Spain.I can just about manage very young organic spring lamb but if I get even a hint of a 'sheepy' smell I'm out of there!
    You like young lamb, but if its grown up sheep you're out of there?! Someone pass me the cooking wine please

Lelantos wrote: »
    You like young lamb, but if its grown up sheep you're out of there?! Someone pass me the cooking wine please

Your point being....?

Lamb has just gone into the oven.

Sealed it, then put it aside in oven dish.
    Added onions, carrots and celery to pan with a bit of stock and cooked for a few minutes. Added garlic and Rosemary quickly then poured this over the lamb. Then put the remaining stock and red wine in.
    Have it at 150c and gonna cook it for 3 hours?

Sound ok?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Added onions, carrots and celery to pan with a bit of stock and cooked for a few minutes. Added garlic and Rosemary quickly then poured this over the lamb. Then put the remaining stock and red wine in.

Sound ok?

Sounds good, enjoy it :)

Sound ok?

It'll fall off the bone!

Having it now. Absolutely devine.
    I'm fairly confident its nicer than what you lot have ever cooked so let me know if you want the proper recipe. ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Is lamb shank inexpensive? Can someone give me a ballpark figure for how much it costs? Thanks! I'd love to have a go at cooking it sometime. :)

• Advertisement

I got mine for 5e.

I got mine for 5e.

For what weight? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I got this from a class at Kitchen in the Castle in Howth.

Chianti braised lamb shanks
    Serves 4
    Preheat 160°C Gas mark 3

Ingredients:

4 lamb shanks
    3tbs olive oil
    350ml chianti
    240 ml beef or chicken stock
    100ml balsamic vinegar
    2 bay leaves
    4 anchovies chopped
    4 sprigs of fresh rosemary
    3 garlic cloves finely sliced
    1 tin chopped tomatoes
    2tbs olive oil
    2 onions chopped
    150g chorizo sausage cubed
    2 carrots chopped
    Honey to taste

Method:

1. Season the shanks with salt and pepper.
    2. Heat a heavy based frying pan over a high heat, add the oil, when hot brown the shanks all over remove and set aside.
    3. Pour the wine and balsamic vinegar in to a heavy based casserole dish bring to the boil and boil for 5 minutes. Add the lamb shanks, bay leaves, anchovies, rosemary garlic cloves and tomatoes. Add the stock and to bring to the boil. Cover and place in the oven for 1.5 hours.
    4. Heat the remaining oil in a separate frying pan over a medium heat - add the oil when hot add the onion and soften add the chorizo and cook until the oils release add the carrots and cook for another couple of minutes. Remove and set aside.
    5. After 2 hours remove the lamb from the oven add the vegetable mixture, return to the oven and cook for a further hour or until tender.
    6. Remove the lamb shanks and vegetables with a slotted spoon and keep warm. Put the casserole on to a high heat, bring to the boil and reduce for 5-10 minutes until thick. Season with salt & pepper ad honey to taste, return the lamb to the casserole bring back to the boil.

Serve with mashed potato.

Have made it again since, it's very nice.

For what weight? :)

No idea. Enough for one person anyway.

No idea. Enough for one person anyway.

I'll scope it out next time I'm at the butcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

I get them for €3 in the butcher's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Got four decent size shanks today for €11+ from the butcher. Gonna try and make something yum for St Paddy's dinner. My first time cooking lamb shanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

Whatever recipe you follow, and there's lots of good ones around, including in this thread, just keep reminding yourself of one thing:

"The longer and slower the better."

Advertisement