Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

40th birthday gifts

Options
  • 23-02-2013 7:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

EEK - I'm going to be forty shortly ----my parents want to buy me a special gift, rather than go somewhere/do something. I'm incredibly picky, so they want a clue. (They buy me a TV licence and my car tax for Christmas, as I hate anything that I haven't picked)

Obvious is jewellery, but I'm running out of wrists, ears, necks, and fingers. All the stuff I have I love. Most Chopard/Tiffany/Gucci. The other thing is my fingers have been swelling up and down recently so reluctant to buy more.

Watches - have three. Tend to wear my grandmother's which is cheapy but sentimental.

Love shoes - but do they last?!

Handbag?

I could do with new delph, or new bed sheets, or blinds for the patio, or new pots and pans - but they're hardly long lasting. Or sentimental!

Art - I have 152 pictures in my 2 bed duplex...not much space! I alredy have the Irish times of my birth date.

Could do cash, but want something special to keep.

Want something I wouldn't buy for myself.,

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Following this thread as my wife turns 40 soon and I have no idea what to get her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

OP-First things first- what do you reckon is their price range?

Since you have "stuff", how about some of these ideas:

A voucher for a weekend away in somewhere like Monart spa? While you won't have it to keep so to speak, you'll have the memory of being there.

http://www.monart.ie/

Likewise, Dinner in Patrick Guillbauds Mitchelin star restaurant:

http://restaurantpatrickguilbaud.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

thanks...been to monart, and been to guilbauds (wasn't impressed with this - started hoovering around our ankles). Mam and me do shows/theatre quite often.

No I would prefer a momento.

somewhere around 500 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Well, is it back to the "sentimental "stuff" and the practical "stuff" I.e Jewellery or household items.

Le Cruset pots/pans- 500 Euro won't see too many of them but they're good

Kitchenaid Coffee maker or a kitchenaid mixer- not cheap, but built to last?

An item of clothing?

An item of furniture?

Waterford crystal vase?

A chandelier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

You mentioned pots and pans above. You could certainly spend 500 euro on pots and pans if you were to get a good brand like Le Creuset. A cast iron Le Creuset casserole dish alone from that range is abut 200 euro. They would be extremely long lasting, I inherited my late grandmothers one. Quite sentimental to me.

Knives also can be extremely expensive for good ones, and they last.

Depends how into cooking you are. I find them beautiful, I love to give them as gifts because I know the recipients will use them so often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

How about a weekend in London with your mam/friend with tickets to the west end for a show. You will always have the memories and the programme!!!

Or, maybe a pen, something like a mount blanc pen engraved. I know it may seem small but you will always have it. My husbands parents got him one for his 40th and he loves it.

A designer handbag?? If your into them.

Maybe a Bose sound system for your iPod/telly, highly recommend them!!!

Will post more if I think of any, happy birthday,

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Better here, OP.

Happy Birthday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

been to the west end loads with my mam and also broadway with my aunts.

Came up with one this morning - permanent eyebrow makeup! Get them dyed several times a year (am very fair)...and it'll last.

I like the idea about knives but mam wouldn't do that as it's unlucky according to superstition.

Pen is good idea - got one for my 21st....a fountain one, but nib broke last year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Hi amtc, what did you go with???

Advertisement