Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autoguiding issue

Options
  • 23-02-2013 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I know some posters here use autoguiding for long exposure astrophotography so I was hoping for some tips and advice here. I got a QHY5 camera and downloaded PHD and ascom using the disc that came with the camera.

I connect the camera to the laptop using the usb cable, then I connect the camera to the mount (neq 6) with the st4 cable. I then connect the mount to the laptop using a serial usb converter whch is connected to the mount handset. The problem is the ascom driver do not connect to the mount. I even tried removing the handset and connecting directly into the mount with the same problem. Am I doing anything wrong here or can anyone tell me how they set up themselves?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Nerro

Wailin wrote: »
    I then connect the mount to the laptop using a serial usb converter whch is connected to the mount handset. The problem is the ascom driver do not connect to the mount. I even tried removing the handset and connecting directly into the mount with the same problem. Am I doing anything wrong here or can anyone tell me how they set up themselves?

Do you have EQ DIR? similar like this?
    http://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/hitecastro-eqdir-adapter.html
    Thats the thing you need to connect the mount to laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Do you have EQMOD?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Anyone care to explain auto guiding for a newbie like myself?...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Wailin

Thanks guys but I figured it out, instead of using ascom I'm just guiding using the st4 cable, changed the settings on mount in PHD and seems to be guiding fine. Now all I need is some good skies with no moon:)

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Anyone care to explain auto guiding for a newbie like myself?...

Autoguiding is where you use another scope and camera attached to the imaging scope. The purpose is to use this camera to lock onto a star in the same area of the object your imaging. If done successfully the autoguiding camera sends signals to the mounts motors to make adjustments and keep the star in the same position, preventing drift and allowing long exposures of up to 10min plus without any star trails. That's the jist of it anyway, I ain't no expert on it either!

• Advertisement

Thanks guys but I figured it out, instead of using ascom I'm just guiding using the st4 cable, changed the settings on mount in PHD and seems to be guiding fine. Now all I need is some good skies with no moon:)
    oh i thought you want to connect your mount aswell so that you can use everything from your laptop....

Nerro wrote: »
    oh i thought you want to connect your mount aswell so that you can use everything from your laptop....

I did initially Nerro but since i found out that I can change mount settings in PHD from ascom to on-board camera and it does the same job I decided not to go with ascom. Especially since I need more cables etc, and i do not like dealing with FLO, found them not very helpful in the least, to be kind.....

I had a practice last night from back garden, didn't do really long exposures due to light pollution, max was 100s and seemed to guide fine for the most part. I did notice some random deviation of the Dec axis on the graph at times, for no apparent reason, and i got star trails on those shots. Any idea why this may happen? I made no alterations to the settings but i'm sure there is alot of fiddling about before I get it perfect. I also got a message saying Star Saturated which also affected the dec graph.......any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Autoguiding is where you use another scope and camera attached to the imaging scope. The purpose is to use this camera to lock onto a star in the same area of the object your imaging. If done successfully the autoguiding camera sends signals to the mounts motors to make adjustments and keep the star in the same position, preventing drift and allowing long exposures of up to 10min plus without any star trails. That's the jist of it anyway, I ain't no expert on it either!

Thanks... , sounds a tad expensive for my amateurness ha :pac:

I did initially Nerro but since i found out that I can change mount settings in PHD from ascom to on-board camera and it does the same job I decided not to go with ascom. Especially since I need more cables etc, and i do not like dealing with FLO, found them not very helpful in the least, to be kind.....

I had a practice last night from back garden, didn't do really long exposures due to light pollution, max was 100s and seemed to guide fine for the most part. I did notice some random deviation of the Dec axis on the graph at times, for no apparent reason, and i got star trails on those shots. Any idea why this may happen? I made no alterations to the settings but i'm sure there is alot of fiddling about before I get it perfect. I also got a message saying Star Saturated which also affected the dec graph.......any ideas?
    What version of PHD are you using?I heard that some beta versions have the same problem that you just described.

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Thanks... , sounds a tad expensive for my amateurness ha :pac:
    There are budget options.Get a decent finder scope,philips SPC webcam.Few adapters for it and away you go.Cost for system like this second hand is under 100e.And the difference it makes...well worth the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Guide to PHD Guiding
    What to do When PHD Guiding isn't Push Here Dummy

Nerro wrote: »
    What version of PHD are you using?I heard that some beta versions have the same problem that you just described.

Its version 1.13.1 apparently. Think the latest version, not too sure.

Just checked, newest version is 1.14.

Advertisement