Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the security on Luas lines for?

• 23-02-2013 1:56pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hello All,

There was a situation on the Luas the other day that came into mind now, so I'm posting it here to see if anyone else faced a similar situation.

I was travelling with my wife accompanying her to work from Georges Dock to The point theatre on Thursday evening on the luas. That was the day when "Example" was at the O2. The Carry on was ridiculous. There was a group of 10-12 youngsters in the tram aged about 12 -16 drinking and disturbing other people. They were falling over other people, were slagging old folks and not giving up seats for them. There was a tourist lady with her luggage looking to get off the tram at her a stop and a fella was tugging her luggage while the other one pulled his pants down and was flashing his !"£$%^&*(. :eek: The worst part was that there were 3 Luas security on the tram and they just watched all this. :mad:

Why is there security in the tram if they let this happen?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

did you complain to Veolia? It wont do any good ranting on here.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 57 ✭✭denver62002

corktina wrote: »

What is Veolia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,836 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The company that runs LUAS.

Check out www.luas.ie for contact details.

they operate the Luas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Still though he has a point. Plus considering representatives of Veolia witnessed the whole thing he shouldn't really need to complain.

• Advertisement

thats what he would be complaining about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

thats what he would be complaining about!

Oh right! I thought you meant complain about the behaviour of the passengers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I rather passengers drinking any day over a slapper spraying hair spary in her hair, people couldn't get away faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

They're there to harass and intimidate quiet sober well dressed people who may have underpaid their fare, or stayed on for a stop too many - provided said passenger is not too well built or assertive, of course.

Really? that would be Revenue Protection not Security I'd imagine. But hey, lets not let the truth get in the way of a rant in favour of fraudulent passngers!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

You think ranting to Veolia will do more than posting here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Probably under orders from management not to do anything.

They had to pay out 10k to lying junkie in Connolly Station recently.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83209707

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,198 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

monument wrote: »

If they rant to Veolia they don't get infractions aplenty.

Unless you work for them as well :)

monument wrote: »

Really I'm surprised at that post. I didn't say he should RANT to Veolia, I said he should COMPLAIN to them, two different things entirely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Would vieolia be better off scrapping ineffective security gards (or at least half of them) and funding some real Gardai who work on Luas and their stops full time ... A bit like transport police in uk,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Would vieolia be better off scrapping ineffective security gards (or at least half of them) and funding some real Gardai who work on Luas and their stops full time ... A bit like transport police in uk,

that would be appropriate for scum like these..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Markcheese wrote: »
    Will you pay an extra 5% in taxes or massive rises in fares to pay for q transport police?

I was waiting on the luas earlier at jervis tad at least 5 of those stt guards were preventing one person from boarding trams. The person was saying he had a ticket but they weren't having any of it. He did not look like your average scumbag but maybe he was known to veolia for fare evasion or something more serious? Is this a good use of resources for an hour? Was it worth it or value for money to keep that person off the trams?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Will you pay an extra 5% in taxes or massive rises in fares to pay for q transport police?

I was waiting on the luas earlier at jervis tad at least 5 of those stt guards were preventing one person from boarding trams. The person was saying he had a ticket but they weren't having any of it. He did not look like your average scumbag but maybe he was known to veolia for fare evasion or something more serious? Is this a good use of resources for an hour? Was it worth it or value for money to keep that person off the trams?

Well Foggy,what if this person was a known paedophile or sexual deviant of the type you so comprehensively described some time back....perhaps he has a Court Order directing him to stay off the Luas...do you know..?

I rather suspect,that,yet again it's an opportunity for You to take a pop at the STT Staff.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Veolia run a very slack system as on the majority of trams there is no security or service personnel. Kids being kids will take advantage of that situation. I reckon if Dublin Bus ran that route, there would be little or no messing as these kids would have to run the gauntlet past the driver first.

Back in the old days 'scutting' was the 'in' thing in the city - it's just gone more upmarket ! :)

V I reckon if Dublin Bus ran that route, there would be little or no messing as these kids would have to run the gauntlet past the driver first.

Back in the old days 'scutting' was the 'in' thing in the city - it's just gone more upmarket ! :)

I dont understand why should anyone accept things like these happening at all? If you look at this situation only there was a tourist who definitely wont be going back and saying good things about Dublin/Ireland, and a senior Citizen who was harassed. If this is on the increase every year imagine in the next 20-30 years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I was waiting on the luas earlier at jervis tad at least 5 of those stt guards were preventing one person from boarding trams.

He did not look like your average scumbag

Exactly the kind of people that STT and Veoila like to tackle.

The ordinary office worker type who won't talk back

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Exactly the kind of people that STT and Veoila like to tackle.

The ordinary office worker type who won't talk back

Amen to that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hello All,

There was a situation on the Luas the other day that came into mind now, so I'm posting it here to see if anyone else faced a similar situation.

I was travelling with my wife accompanying her to work from Georges Dock to The point theatre on Thursday evening on the luas. That was the day when "Example" was at the O2. The Carry on was ridiculous. There was a group of 10-12 youngsters in the tram aged about 12 -16 drinking and disturbing other people. They were falling over other people, were slagging old folks and not giving up seats for them. There was a tourist lady with her luggage looking to get off the tram at her a stop and a fella was tugging her luggage while the other one pulled his pants down and was flashing his !"£$%^&*(. :eek: The worst part was that there were 3 Luas security on the tram and they just watched all this. :mad:

Because they can't do anything about it. It's illegal to remove minors from public transport and the Gardaí won't respond, as they can't do much either. The Gardaí maybe could remove them, but then they'd need about 30+ officers to bring them home as you can't leave intoxicated minors alone on the streets.

Blame the bleeding hearts and lawyers, not the workers having to deal with the crap everyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

I dont understand why should anyone accept things like these happening at all? If you look at this situation only there was a tourist who definitely wont be going back and saying good things about Dublin/Ireland, and a senior Citizen who was harassed. If this is on the increase every year imagine in the next 20-30 years

Yep, and you are right to point this up on a public forum, but I've lost count of the number of Luas threads of a similar vein. My point is that on the Luas when it stops, all doors open and there is no control over who boards and whether or not they have a ticket - so it would seem to me that is the point to start from.

If these kids are barred from the Luas then the subsequent harassment can be avoided. The more people point this up on public fora then then hopefully Veoila will be pressurised into sorting it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Del2005 wrote: »
    Because they can't do anything about it. It's illegal to remove minors from public transport and the Gardaí won't respond, as they can't do much either. The Gardaí maybe could remove them, but then they'd need about 30+ officers to bring them home as you can't leave intoxicated minors alone on the streets.

Blame the bleeding hearts and lawyers, not the workers having to deal with the crap everyday.

Can you point out where it is illegal to remove minors from public transport, does this include if they have a knife, or have committed an assault, or are intoxicated to such an extent they are a danger to themselves or others.

Can you point out where it is illegal to remove minors from public transport, does this include if they have a knife, or have committed an assault, or are intoxicated to such an extent they are a danger to themselves or others.

That's a good point....

Del2005 wrote: »

I don't think there is anything illegal in it. If its on Dublin bus, the driver just calls the Gardai they take it from them.
    Being kids cannot be an excuse for every B.S that they do. If the government cannot control kids make laws to punish the parents so they control their own kids. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

maybe something to do with duty of care?
    If you dump out a bunch of kids early and something happens to them, maybe a liability issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Well Foggy,what if this person was a known paedophile or sexual deviant of the type you so comprehensively described some time back....perhaps he has a Court Order directing him to stay off the Luas...do you know..?
    No, I do not know why the person was prevented from boarding the luas but i suspected there may have been some previous case of fare evasion or pickpocketing or anti-social behaviour involved.
    I rather suspect,that,yet again it's an opportunity for You to take a pop at the STT Staff.
    Not at all an opportunity to take any pop at on the ground security staff but I do wonder at luas policy in such situations and the effectiveness and costs of 5 security guards at one stop for almost an hour just for one person. wouldn't it be more effective to let him travel but travel with him and patrol the line while watching him and catch him if he committed any offence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It was during my Driver CPC that I saw it. Can't find anything about it now as I can never find anything when searching the Statute Book.

Advertisement