Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Laptop not gettting full bandwith

Options
  • 23-02-2013 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    Wondering if any of you have ever seen or heard of this before, my girlfriends laptop was stolen a couple weeks ago so she went out and bought a new one, (Toshiba Satellite L850D). The laptop comes with Win8 which is a pain in the arse but that's another story. The wireless driver she has is Realtek RTL8723AE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC.
    So she's with UPC and pays for a 40mb line, gets between 20-30. On another laptop in the house, it picks up the full 20mb, on her phone it gets 17, my phone gets 17ish and her laptop is getting a max of 7? I've changed the Duplex settings to 100mb full duplex, reinstalled the Wireless driver. Anyone have any ideas what this could be caused by?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

7MEG per second, is ok ,should be fast enough for most people.
    try plugging in an ethernet cable from,router,to laptop, test speed on www.speedtest.net,
    wifi speed is inverse to distance from router,
    farther away-= slower speed, my routers range is about 18ft max.
    after that speed =zero meg per sec.
    when testing knock off other laptops.

SEE
    http://articles.pubarticles.com/how-to-speed-up-windows-8-slow-internet-connection-1351568451,1093954.html

quote;
    Windows 8 by default reserve approximate 20% of your bandwidth for its own use if you are using a broadband connection, all is due to the Windows 8 frequent updates and validation processes.
    Windows 8 Internet speed is always a concern to any user specially when he is using extreme downloading and software’s related to media and Videos which usually consumes more internet connection speed. So you don't worry!
    If you will disable this in Windows 8 we can use that rest of 20% internet speed which had been settled for updates

End quote.

15 meg per sec was the fastest no,i got on upc ,on my win7 laptop.
    10 ft from router.

Advertisement