Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding social integration to a CMS made simple site

• 23-02-2013 3:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

I am trying to add some social integration to a website. I know little to nothing about web design etc.The site is a CMS made simple site so there's no coding etc involved for me to interact with it or set up pages etc. I have looked for tutorials online on adding social integration but with no success.I can't find anything relevant to my needs. Can anyone point me in the right direction or give me some advice? Do these "buttons" for facebook and pinterest need to coded or is there a simpler way?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

What type of social integration do you mean?

Simple share buttons don't requyire a lot of knowledge to setup but you will need access to the templates on your site.

I'm not familiar with CMS Made Simple but most CMS's have some sort of native sharing function or a third party add on. Alternatively you could use some thing like:

addthis.com
    http://sharrre.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Hey , thanks very much for the reply.

I shouldve explained what I meant better. I wanted people to be able to like an image on the site with a facebook button or pin an image to pinterest with a pin button. I want to do it for a store website, albeit a small one. I'll look at the sharre link there, thank you. I'm afraid I have no idea what to do with it though. :/

If you've anymore advice or anyone else does let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Hey , thanks very much for the reply.

I shouldve explained what I meant better. I wanted people to be able to like an image on the site with a facebook button or pin an image to pinterest with a pin button. I want to do it for a store website, albeit a small one. I'll look at the sharre link there, thank you. I'm afraid I have no idea what to do with it though. :/

If you've anymore advice or anyone else does let me know.

You might be better off using the addthis.com site then as that's easily configured via the website.

https://www.addthis.com/get/sharing

To get it working on your site you will need to add 2 pieces of code to the templates. Do you have access to the template code? If not you may need to ask your web designer/developer.

You might be better off using the addthis.com site then as that's easily configured via the website.

https://www.addthis.com/get/sharing

To get it working on your site you will need to add 2 pieces of code to the templates. Do you have access to the template code? If not you may need to ask your web designer/developer.

Thanks a million for your reply. I've tried it and it works. However the template I have access to is for the first main splash page, so I can add buttons to the top there but I want to add them to the product pages,preferably close to the images so that it inspire someone to click.

Could I add them to the style sheet (css sheet I think its called) or would that be impossible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Thanks a million for your reply. I've tried it and it works. However the template I have access to is for the first main splash page, so I can add buttons to the top there but I want to add them to the product pages,preferably close to the images so that it inspire someone to click.

Could I add them to the style sheet (css sheet I think its called) or would that be impossible?

If HTML is the skeleton then CSS is the what goes around that skeleton. This is the same principle for big things like templates and small things like addthis. You need to pop addthis directly into your template to create this skeleton. In other words, you need to put addthis into to the appropriate section of the products template just like you did with the home page. CSS will allow you to change the look/ positioning after you have done this. However, as addthis is a 3rd party plug-in you ultimately don't have control over the CSS. Your ability to edit the CSS will likely be limited.

• Advertisement

If HTML is the skeleton then CSS is the what goes around that skeleton. This is the same principle for big things like templates and small things like addthis. You need to pop addthis directly into your template to create this skeleton. In other words, you need to put addthis into to the appropriate section of the products template just like you did with the home page. CSS will allow you to change the look/ positioning after you have done this. However, as addthis is a 3rd party plug-in you ultimately don't have control over the CSS. Your ability to edit the CSS will likely be limited.

Thank you and thanks to Devildriver for the replies.
    I didn't manage it as I found that pinterest cannot recognise images on my site (AGH!). It only recognises them when they're enlarged in the "light box" so a side social media sharing button won't work with the site as it wouldn't be clickable when the lightbox is enlarged.
    The internet is ganging up on me! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I'm sure there is a way around that!

Advertisement