Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VHI over Full Medical card

Options
  • 23-02-2013 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hey Guys,

Just have a question on Medical cards and health insurance.

At the moment my Dad have VHI and also a full medical card. With the increases that have previously happened and ones that are on the way I wonder whether he should just give up the VHI and use the med card.

Some context, he previously had a heart condition which seems fine now and had an opp for cancer last year that seems to have gone well. All of this was done through the VHI. Will he see any drop in service 'for want of a better term' seeing as he is already in the system for these 2 issues.

I will subsidise his payments covering the increases that are coming but If he does not have any need for the VHI I want to suggest to him to get rid of it.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

On medical card, he is on the 'public waiting list'. He has no real choice.

With private health insurance, he has choice of consultant and hospital. The private waiting lists are usually shorter than the public ones, so he might get treatment earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Darragh1981

thanks for the info Ravima

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

I would find out the name of the policy that your father has with the vhi and check out it's price and what it covers on the hia website.
    I would then answer some questions in regards to the type of cover he would require.
    It is possible for your father to move from vhi to another health insurance provider once he remains on the same type of cover.
    If he movers to a higher level of cover there is a waiting time for pre existing medical conditions.
    I would check that he would have full cover in the hospitals he was in for his previous medical conditions as the cheaper policies often don't cover certain hospitals or types of treatment.
    I would look at the corporate policies as these are priced for large companies but individuals can join these.
    You can ring the other insurers if you have any questions. Your father should get a month's notice from vhi in regards to the cost of his policy so you will have time to change with out losing cover.
    Hope this helps you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Darragh1981

Thanks Okiss, Really appreciate the info. Will hit the phones this week and see what I can find out!

Advertisement