Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Free Security Programs? (Anti Virus/Malware/etc)

Options
  • 23-02-2013 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I've been using Advanced System Care and Avira Free AntiVirus for the past 2/3 years but lately both have been pretty annoying, pop ups you can't get rid of, annoying updating procedure etc.

I've since discovered Avast Free Antivirus, Malwarebytes and have started to use CCleaner again.

I'm about to reinstall my OS and don't want to clutter it up with too many programs so just want simple protection for basic usage that will be free, and easy to update and keep the computer safe from new threats.

Are the above 3 enough working in conjunction with one another and will give ample protection and the same protection (or better/worse) as I was getting from Avira and Advanced System Care?

Any feedback appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

cormie wrote: »
    Hi,
    I've been using Advanced System Care and Avira Free AntiVirus for the past 2/3 years but lately both have been pretty annoying, pop ups you can't get rid of, annoying updating procedure etc.

I've since discovered Avast Free Antivirus, Malwarebytes and have started to use CCleaner again.

I'm about to reinstall my OS and don't want to clutter it up with too many programs so just want simple protection for basic usage that will be free, and easy to update and keep the computer safe from new threats.

Are the above 3 enough working in conjunction with one another and will give ample protection and the same protection (or better/worse) as I was getting from Avira and Advanced System Care?

Any feedback appreciated!

I just run MSE and the occasional scan with Malwarebytes and I've never had a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

The best "free" security program is Sandboxie.

The registered version will not nag you and offers some advanced features.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

mordeith wrote: »
    I just run MSE and the occasional scan with Malwarebytes and I've never had a problem.

+1 Same, plus I always check for W8 updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Avast and Microsoft security essentials. Both if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭kingofslaves

I use spybot search and destroy, hijack this, malware bytes & ccleaner. Don't bother with anti virus as careful what I download. There's always joti's online scanner anyway. (Can't post link on iPhone )

• Advertisement

BOHtox wrote: »

Running two proactive AV programs makes absolutely no sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

That combo is fine.

Running 2 active AV/AM utils causes conflicts, slowing down the machine and sometimes causing false positives. It's a Bad Idea(tm)

Here's the recommendation thread from the Virus & Malware Removal forum:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056280359

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

MSE

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the replies folks. I guess MSE = Microsoft Security Essentials? Is this an Avast replacement, so it's an Anti Virus? I've been pretty happy with Avast and have read a lot of great independent reviews so if as Tricky D says, that my combo is fine, I'll probably just stick with it :) I think Avast also offers something similar to the sandboxie suggestion, that it keeps things separate in a sense.

kingofslaves, I see you use a similar combo, Spybot (which I know is an AV), then malware bytes and ccleaner but you also mention hijack this, what does this offer that the other don't?

To those who rely on MSE (aka Windows Defender) for protection: The detection rate is appalling and the software has recently lost its AV certification. You may want to add a decent manual virus scanner to your portfolio, Emsisoft's Emergency Kit is such a freebie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Another free thing to do is not run all the time as an administrator on your computer. This helps control what gets elevated privileges and hence what can make changes to your system.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Avast and malware bytes is all you need and the free versions of both do not conflict with each other.

Avast has sandboxing as well.

MSE is pretty bad.

Another free thing to do is not run all the time as an administrator on your computer.

But if you do (as it is often the case with XP), make use of DropMyRights.

Thanks folks, approval and support of Avast and Malwarebytes running together is exactly what I wanted to hear :) Will just stick with them so and just keep my fingers crossed that Avast doesn't turn into nag ware like Avira did!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭RodgersLFC

Never run more than one antivirus program on your PC, as they conflict and cause slowness. Both of those are good, but never use both at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Torqay wrote: »
    To those who rely on MSE (aka Windows Defender) for protection: The detection rate is appalling and the software has recently lost its AV certification. You may want to add a decent manual virus scanner to your portfolio, Emsisoft's Emergency Kit is such a freebie.

Well, I chose MSE or Windows 8 Defender because, it has a very low system impact and free. Plus, viruses are really not all that much of a problem these days. It's Malware, which most virus scanners do not look for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

kingofslaves, I see you use a similar combo, Spybot (which I know is an AV), then malware bytes and ccleaner but you also mention hijack this, what does this offer that the other don't?

No it's not, Spybot is a spyware scanner similar to Malwarebytes

Ah ok, so I guess hijack this is his AV and he just uses spybot and malwarebytes for extra piece of mind?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Ah ok, so I guess hijack this is his AV and he just uses spybot and malwarebytes for extra piece of mind?

You can have multiple anti malware applications (as most do not do real time protection which can cause conflicts), but being honest once you keep your system/plugins up to date, have an anti virus scanner and anti malware program installed, you should be fine.
    Viruses are not really an issue these days, it's all malware lately, which generally gets in through vulnerabilities in third party plugins (Java, Flash etc.) and out of date operating systems

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 12,466 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah it's the malware that causes problem especially lately ransomware
    I usually do a check every so often with malwarebytes and superantispyware to make sure

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

MSE and common sense is all you need. In fact you'd barely need MSE but it gives piece of mind.

Edit: oh yeah and a decent browser.

MSE doesn't have sandboxing and is proven to be crap so no it doesn't give peace of mind. Quite the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,466 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I work in an IT department and we all reccomend MSE as it is unobtrusive and gets most problems, but we all recommend a check from another source such as malwarebytes or other

In terms of protection MSE is the very bottom of the pack.

http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/windows-7/novdec-2012/

BloodBath wrote: »
    In terms of protection MSE is the very bottom of the pack.

http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/windows-7/novdec-2012/

The point is it does enough, doesn't hog resourses and doesn't bother the user.

Like I said, with comon sense and decent browser, you barely need any antivirus software.

Thanks again folks. Always good when a debate breaks out in a thread you started, gets into the nitty gritty, but I'm just going to stick with Avast and Malwarebytes anyway so won't be getting MSE. Avast is very unobtrusive, Avira has nagged me about 8 times in the last 24 hours, ASC once too so the reinstall will have neither.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

No script and adblock plus

NBC and LA Times but serving up Browser Exploits (Java) in the last few weeks.

http://www.zdnet.com/nbc-com-hacked-briefly-compromised-with-redkit-malware-7000011636/

No script

With a decent browser JavaScript can do feck all to harm your system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

With a decent browser JavaScript can do feck all to harm your system.
    pffft, no such thing.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2012/mar/08/pwn2own-chrome-hacked

• Advertisement

I forgot to mention I'd be using adblock plus on firefox too.

Advertisement