Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep my security deposit? fleas

Options
  • 23-02-2013 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I moved into a flat about 4 months ago and have had no problems until now, in the last week I have gotten a few bites on my legs and think it may be fleas.
    I don't have pets but the couple downstairs have cats.

Is my landlord obliged to sort the problem?

If I move out would I be able to keep my deposit? (It's a year lease)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

Most likely you brought the fleas in yourself.
    Might be bed bugs either. A lot of people are bringing them back from holidays in their luggage and then they breed.
    Contact rentokill or someone like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 pandaeyes

I haven't been anywhere since I moved in though, its strange its only happening now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

While you may not have been anywhere, you may have been in contact with someone who has.

All it takes is a few creatures and then they multiply.

You can't blame your landlord, especially if the place has been fine for months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

You don't need rentokill. You can buy spray in a pet shop for a few euro. Boil wash all your bedding, and spray mattress and all soft furnishings.

The LL is not responsible and this wouldn't be sufficient reason to terminate your lease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Are you in an apartment block. Because I haven't heard of an apartment complex that allows animals in Dublin. Call the management company and say that the person below you has a cat in their apartment and it has given you fleas.

Even If you clear you the flea there is a chance they could come back.

Is there a chance that it's bed bugs. Theyre being really common in apartments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 pandaeyes

I'm not in Dublin, I live in a converted house made up of 3 flats.

I've checked for bed bugs but I can't see any signs.

Thanks for advice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Get that spray. Failing that, there are 'smoke bombs' you can get to fumigate the place and kill the buggers. Stayed with friends some years back in Guildford. Got bitten to bits. They got the spray and that didn't do the trick - but the smoke bomb sorted it out. Naturally, you have to vacate for the day - but the result will be worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

Another really good remedy for fleas is to scatter copious amounts of ordinary table salt around. Leave it for a few days and hoover. This worked for me after even 2 bomb applications failed.

If the bites are all below knee level, it's probably fleas alright. They jump on to you, feed and jump right off again. They prefer animals as a home but will quite happily live in carpet and feed off you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I'd also get a Rug Doctor and steam/deep clean your carpets and rugs. Wash the floors with boiling water and a little Jeyes Fluid. House will stink after the Jeyes, but it should go some way towards killing the bugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

I'd also get a Rug Doctor and steam/deep clean your carpets and rugs. Wash the floors with boiling water and a little Jeyes Fluid. House will stink after the Jeyes, but it should go some way towards killing the bugs.
    Not if it's fleas. They'll just be cleaner fleas. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement