Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Begging with dogs

• 23-02-2013 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Has anyone noticed how many eastern european beggers on the city streets have puppies with them ...very thin frightened little puppies ...they seem to have a different one with them every couple of weeks .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Probably trying to cover all the bases.... If you're not a beggar lover then hopefully you might be an animal lover - and give a contribution "for the puppy" ....or maybe I'm getting old and cynical :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Little prick outside penneys the other day had one and my daughter started crying because I wouldn't allow her over to rub the dog. I'd like to see the animal welfare get involved here, they obviously won't have a licence for the dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

Just been reading a huge thread about this on LAW's Facebook page. People are getting worried because these guys seem to have different dogs each day and they don't appear to be looking after the dogs properly either.

Obviously they've given up on using babies and are now using puppies and dogs to tug at the old heartstrings. Wish there was some way we could get rid of these eejits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

This makes me incredibly angry. Is there anything we can do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

Mollywolly wrote: »
    Obviously they've given up on using babies and are now using puppies and dogs to tug at the old heartstrings. Wish there was some way we could get rid of these eejits.

It would be a good start if people stopped giving them money. Even better if you pester gardai and councillors to do something about it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

tony81 wrote: »
    It would be a good start if people stopped giving them money. Even better if you pester gardai and councillors to do something about it.

Gardai do something about foreign beggers in the city??? Good one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

Melion wrote: »

Gardai do something about foreign beggers in the city??? Good one :D

I know i know, they're too busy out catching the real criminals ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 mnstlj

just read on LAWs page that the woman who sold the two springers to the guy spotted them on the street and took them back off him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Couldn't the cops demand licence and take them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

zuroph wrote: »
    Couldn't the cops demand licence and take them?

Would that not be the job of the Dog Warden rather than the Gardai, assuming the city has one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

From anecdotal evidence on the continent, they serve 2 purposes, firstly,as mentioned, to tug on one's emotions.The second,crafty reason, is that should a policeman want to arrest a beggar,he must also have to accommodate the pooch by getting the dog warden or something, making the scenario a headache for the arresting cop. The cop,now having jumped through these hoops,may think twice about arresting in future for begging

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Is dog a delicacy in Eastern Europe;;;well i think it is anyway

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Gardai cant do a thing. I rang Henry Street last week and they can display the dogs without a warrant.

I challenged one of them up. Magically forgot English even though I heard the same guy speak the day before.

Don't give them a single fcuking penny. If you have some cash, give it to LAW. I might open a can of pedigree chum and let the dog eat it. At least the dog will get some food.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭fleabag

Well if the Gards are no good, I've made some suggestions on the LAW Facebook page which are these:-

1. Take photographs of the dogs every time you pass - and be seen taking photos if you want. The older guy especially doesn't seem to like this and it's one way of keeping track of the dogs.

2. How about approaching the shops that they beg outside - unpopular customer attention for allowing this to happen outside their premises might be taken note of. Maybe write to Head Offices as well?

3. Also putting together a leaflet that shows all the different dogs they use and distribute these right at the areas they beg at. It could ask people to give dog food, not money and just highlight what is going on. I'm assuming of course that we'd have the right to do this. I might be able to get them printed for nothing and I'd put them together if I could get more photographs.

I'm really mad and upset about this and would love to contribute somehow to getting it stopped. If I had the guts I would just walk up and take the dogs off them but then I'd be the criminal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Could someone please link me to the thread on LAW's FB page regarding this, can't find it!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I was talking to the Mrs about this just the other day. Noticed one of the beggars had some kind of husky / akita looking cross. Was thinking it was pricey for a beggars dog. Was still only a pup, so maybe a different breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭fleabag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

Mollywolly wrote: »
    Just been reading a huge thread about this on LAW's Facebook page. People are getting worried because these guys seem to have different dogs each day and they don't appear to be looking after the dogs properly either.

they are not eejits, anything but, research has shown they earn quite a little moxey begging, they also have a few other sidelines, they earn according to the bbc research as much as a td, no, the eejits are us and our goverment, our workers get hit, the poor get hit, the home owner gets hit, the tds, and ex tds and this crowd do not get hit.

Advertisement