Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a company

Options
  • 23-02-2013 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I am a 19 year old student ad want to set up my own web development company from home. I have no interest in employing anyone. Can anyone here advise me on whether I would be best off being a sole trader or a ltd company. As I said I want to be a one man show. There is a very slim chance of me crossing the 37,500 euro threshold for registering for vat so thats a bonus.
    I am currently in college and only doing this in my spare time. I will be immigrating in the next two years also therefore I just want something easy to set up and easy to close. What sort of expenses and taxes will I have to pay.
    Thanks
    Thomas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭capefear

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I am a 19 year old student ad want to set up my own web development company from home. I have no interest in employing anyone. Can anyone here advise me on whether I would be best off being a sole trader or a ltd company. As I said I want to be a one man show. There is a very slim chance of me crossing the 37,500 euro threshold for registering for vat so thats a bonus.
    I am currently in college and only doing this in my spare time. I will be immigrating in the next two years also therefore I just want something easy to set up and easy to close. What sort of expenses and taxes will I have to pay.
    Thanks
    Thomas

Keep it simply, be a sole trader no point in registering a company.

Register a business name with the cro, buy the domain name and open a business bank account. Than submit a tr1 to the revenue commissioner and your good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

capefear wrote: »

Register a business name with the cro, buy the domain name and open a business bank account. Than submit a tr1 to the revenue commissioner and your good to go.

Thanks, I have the domain name and am currently building my site. Juts looking into taxes I will have to pay etc. Looking forward to when I can finally start :)

Can anyone help me out. I cannot seem to find out what my expenses will be. Since I am a student I do not think I will have to pay Class S PRSI because I don't expect to make over 5000 in my first year. So does that mean I only have to pay my 2% USC on my wage. Also how much does it cost to register my business name. I will be a sole trader

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Alan Shore

http://www.cro.ie/en/downloads-business-name.aspx
    €20 online €40 paper for RBN1 form

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

capefear wrote: »

OP note that a "business" bank account attracts loads of fees, you are better off opening a second personal account and using that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭thecelt

When you set up a business account with AIB you get 2 years free banking!

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭capefear

Yep I think Ulster bank do as well

Was on the phone with revenue today and was told I could keep the money in cash or wherever I wanted. Handiest way is to just start putting it into my savings account that I never use

Advertisement