Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat only in the garden?

• 23-02-2013 8:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Ok, I am asking a weird question and please don't be rude.. I just want to understand.
    I have a puppy dog 5 months old.. and I love cats but I am allergic.
    I was considering to get a cat, I have many friends that have cat and dog and they are friends.
    The problem is that the cat should be in the garden and maximum in the kitchen or I would die.

Do you think is a crazy idea?
    Maybe to rescue a cat used to be outside, or is unfair for him/her?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

if you really want a cat and you are allergic get one of the hypoallergenic ones.
    http://www.catster.com/cat-breeds/hypoallergenic-cat-breeds

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,325 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Moved from Dublin 15

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,033 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I'm allergic to cats but we have two at home! (the joys of being outnumbered by women in my house! :) )

To me cats are outside animals (dogs too imo) and should spend most of their time out there. If they are in, keep them well away from your bedroom - never ever let them in there. Also be absolutely 100% firm about keeping them off the kitchen tables and worktops. If they're going to be in the living area, try to ensure they sleep in only one of your chairs so you have somewhere hair-free to sit at night. Get a vacuum cleaner with a good filter and use it all the time, cat hairs get everywhere!
    The above probably applies to your dog as well, a lot of people who are allergic to cat dander are allergic to dog dander too, so no point taking chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I'm also really allergic to cats, but I foster them all the time! I even went to a cat show on Sunday, lol! The key is to keep a constant low exposure to them, and your allergy symptoms will lessen dramatically. But if she's only ever outside, you'll never have enough contact with her for your allergic reaction to lessen. I'd be all for allowing her in, but not allowing her in bedrooms or carpeted rooms. Then you just have to hoover regularly with a really good vacuum cleaner.

Until you get more used to her, if you are rubbing her, always wash your hands before you touch your face/eyes. You might need to take an anti-histamine tablet and a puff of your inhaler every day at first, but it gets better.

The other thing is, if it's a rescue cat that's used to being indoors, it would be very lonely. Cats enjoy and need a lot more contact with their owners than you might think. You also couldn't possibly keep a kitten (under 12 months of age) as a solely outdoor pet.

If you are going to get a cat to be outdoors, you need to confine her for the first few weeks so have a think where she could stay. Utility room, perhaps? But then she'd be used to being indoors with you by then, so it wouldn't be fair to put her out.

Cats that don't get a lot of contact with their owners as they're outside pets are the ones most likely to stray away.

Also bear in mind that by having an outdoor cat, your puppy is unlikely to spend enough time with her to form a bond and also learn not to chase her!

Finally, cats and puppies need careful introductions, so go into it having done your homework on how to strategise for best success. Depending on the cat's personality, she may not want to be friends with the pup at all, and merely tolerate his presence.

Plenty of things to think about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I'm allergic to strange cats! What I mean is that if I'm around a cat for any length of time the sniffles and irritation disappear (I'm guessing I build up a resistance naturally).

Maybe exposure to the cats will allow you to develop resistance too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

thanks a lot for all the answers.. I will think about that..

Advertisement