Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrauntoohill, Mwreelrea, Slieve Donard and Lugnaquilla

Options
  • 23-02-2013 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

Am thinking of doing the Four Peaks challenge this year.

Myself and hubby and two friends. we have a reasonable level of fitness. Myself and hubbie did the Inca Trail in Sept 2012 and before that had experience of trekking in Nepal. However all we have done in Ireland is Croagh Patrick.

How difficult in relation to Croagh Patrick are the peaks - Carrauntoohill, Mwreelrea, Slieve Donard and Lugnaquilla?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭MadMardegan

Am thinking of doing the Four Peaks challenge this year.

Myself and hubby and two friends. we have a reasonable level of fitness. Myself and hubbie did the Inca Trail in Sept 2012 and before that had experience of trekking in Nepal. However all we have done in Ireland is Croagh Patrick.

How difficult in relation to Croagh Patrick are the peaks - Carrauntoohill, Mwreelrea, Slieve Donard and Lugnaquilla?

Thanks!

I did the Four Peaks challenge last year and it was great fun!

All I had done previously was Croagh Patrick (which I've done numerous times) so I was a little bit nervous starting off. My fitness wasn't the best at the time either.

I won't lie, it's a lot different than Croagh Patrick. In some ways harder, but overall just different. Instead of a straight rocky path you'll be walking along slippery grass, lots of bog, and general mucky trails.

In my opinion, from best to worst:

Mweelrea (have strong routes in Mayo and with the mountain. We got beautiful weather that day and the view was amazing. Was the most enjoyable walk)

Lugnaquilla (nice walk, but long. Easy enough after the first 30 minutes. Was great to finish cause we knew it was the last one)

Carrauntoohill (tough enough climb, bad weather. Didn't get to the very top due to wind)

Slieve Donard (a heart breaking climb for me. The end seems to go on forever. Imagine the very top of Croagh Patrick, but one that seems not to end! Weather was great that day but there was a lot of midges! Best thing about that hill was the fresh water stream halfway up, nicest water I've ever had!)

I should say that I did all the driving for our team. In the 4 days I drove 1400km, slept about 10 hours and climbed 4 mountains... I was a wreck by the end of it! I think that's what made it so hard for me. If you get enough rest it's gonna be extremely enjoyable!

Feel free to pm if you want to know anything

Best of luck doing it! You won't regret it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

Sorry only getting back online now but thanks so much for your reply. That is just the kind of info and breakdown I was looking for so thanks so much!

I'm reckoning our level of fitness is going to be pretty good so am kinda relying on that to bring us through even though we don't have great mountain climbing experience!

Advertisement