Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Been given notice to vacate

Options
  • 23-02-2013 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I've been given notice to vacate by my landlord/letting agent as the landlord has sold the house. I have been living here since Aug 08 and was given the standard 112 days. (Which I had to tell them about as they where trying to get away with a month at first and then 98 days)

Anyway, if I find somewhere to live, do I need to give a months notice or am I allowed to leave anytime I like now and still get my deposit back?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭ladysarah

Hi. They are probably going to set the closing date around your notice. My advise is to ask the agent if you can find a place earlier can you vacate and get your deposit back as once they give you the legal notice they do not have to return deposit if you move out sooner but may be happy to close sale sooner. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Thanks ladysarah, was going to talk to them on Monday about it, but wanted to know where I stand law wise. As I cant seem to find any info about this online. Only how much notice the landlord/tenant must give at the first point. But nothing about if noticed is required after a notice to vacate has been given.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If they wanted you out in a month and you insisted on 112 days then chances are they wouldn't have an issue with you leaving earlier. Unless they now want to be stubborn about it...

If they do agree to let you leave earlier than the 112 days make sure you get something in writing to say that all parties agreed to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

The notice period of 112 days is the regulation period. However, now that notice has been served, and accepted on your part, you are entitled to agree on a mutually convenient period which may be shorter than the 112 days.

Advertisement