Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ensuring implied status while waiting on IEC

Options
  • 23-02-2013 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi!

I’ve spent a couple of hours reading through old threads and still have a coupla questions that need answering. Any help appreciated.

The situation:

My first year’s Canadian working visa expires on March 4, ie. mad-soon.

I would like to stay in Toronto and keep my job and then, once my second year application is approved, continue to stay in Toronto and keep my job until sometime in 2014.

I failed to make the first round of IEC applications on Feb 15, but will not let this (ie. failure) happen on Feb 25.

I know there’s pressure to put certain applications into motion before the expiry of one’s current work visa.

My question is, would it pay off to apply for temporary citizenship (sure to fail) via MyCiC, NOW, to ensure I attain implied status? This would cost like $75/150.

Second question: Once I get my IEC acceptance, but before my temporary citizenship request (unaided by IEC) fails, a) will I be able to start my MyCiC working visa application (ie. stage 2 of the working visa application process) before I hear back on the temporary citizenship thing? And b) will I have to pay a second time during the MyCiC application?

THANK YOU.

I’ve sat it out awhile but the stress and uncertainty is killing me. Last few weeks have felt like someone’s been gradually digging their fist into my chest.

Also, on MyCiC, I can’t see anything about IEC or where to upload my IEC acceptance (when it comes) or police check (when it comes, early March). Have I done something wrong? Shall I just start a new MyCiC app once my IEC acceptance comes through?

Thanks again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jazzmonroe

Ah - of all the questions on my mind, I chose the one answered quite nicely two threads below: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056887654.

On my way out, I’ll point out that this part of my post still applies:

On MyCiC, I can’t see anything about IEC or where to upload my IEC acceptance (when it comes) or police check (when it comes, early March). Have I done something wrong? Shall I just start a new MyCiC app once my IEC acceptance comes through?

Any ideas? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 PureFiji

jazzmonroe wrote: »
    Hi!

I’ve spent a couple of hours reading through old threads and still have a coupla questions that need answering. Any help appreciated.

The situation:

My first year’s Canadian working visa expires on March 4, ie. mad-soon.

I would like to stay in Toronto and keep my job and then, once my second year application is approved, continue to stay in Toronto and keep my job until sometime in 2014.

I failed to make the first round of IEC applications on Feb 15, but will not let this (ie. failure) happen on Feb 25.

I know there’s pressure to put certain applications into motion before the expiry of one’s current work visa.

My question is, would it pay off to apply for temporary citizenship (sure to fail) via MyCiC, NOW, to ensure I attain implied status? This would cost like $75/150.

Second question: Once I get my IEC acceptance, but before my temporary citizenship request (unaided by IEC) fails, a) will I be able to start my MyCiC working visa application (ie. stage 2 of the working visa application process) before I hear back on the temporary citizenship thing? And b) will I have to pay a second time during the MyCiC application?

THANK YOU.

I’ve sat it out awhile but the stress and uncertainty is killing me. Last few weeks have felt like someone’s been gradually digging their fist into my chest.

Also, on MyCiC, I can’t see anything about IEC or where to upload my IEC acceptance (when it comes) or police check (when it comes, early March). Have I done something wrong? Shall I just start a new MyCiC app once my IEC acceptance comes through?

Thanks again.

You have to apply for a Visa as a Visitor, and yes that cost 75 bucks! And you have to, otherwise you are illegal here. And to be honest, if you want to stay longer, you may come in trouble at the border when you get a new work permit. I did the same... my visa expires on 10th of March...
    I am in the same situation like you. I found out you will never anything about the acceptance letter, police, etc. Because you are already in Canada, means current country of residence, and the questions are not made for people like us.
    Therefore I involved a immigration consultant on Saturday. I hope he can find out what to do.
    Unfortunatly I cant give you a answer to your other questions. Maybe you get same answers if you call somebody at the call centre of the immigration and citizenship.

cheers, please let me know when get an solution for the process at the cic account.
    thanks

PureFiji wrote: »
    You have to apply for a Visa as a Visitor, and yes that cost 75 bucks! And you have to, otherwise you are illegal here. And to be honest, if you want to stay longer, you may come in trouble at the border when you get a new work permit. I did the same... my visa expires on 10th of March...
    I am in the same situation like you. I found out you will never anything about the acceptance letter, police, etc. Because you are already in Canada, means current country of residence, and the questions are not made for people like us.
    Therefore I involved a immigration consultant on Saturday. I hope he can find out what to do.
    Unfortunatly I cant give you a answer to your other questions. Maybe you get same answers if you call somebody at the call centre of the immigration and citizenship.

cheers, please let me know when get an solution for the process at the cic account.
    thanks

Hey - thanks for your reply, definitely keep me up to date with what you hear back.

Would applying for a new worker visa (as opposed to an IEC or visitor visa) not get us implied status then, while we wait to hear back? I know they’d turn it down eventually, but my stay up to that point would/may have been legal, and by that point I might have my new Letter of Introduction...

As for IEC not being for people whose current country of residence is Canada, I know the Irish Immigration people are telling any IEC applicants currently in Canada to list their home-country as their country of residence. Based on that I’m guessing it can’t be illegal, can it? The fact you can’t say you’re currently residing in Canada just seems to be a slight glitch/oversight in the system. It’s inevitable that people applying for their second year will be currently based in Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 thumps

Hey - thanks for your reply, definitely keep me up to date with what you hear back.

Would applying for a new worker visa (as opposed to an IEC or visitor visa) not get us implied status then, while we wait to hear back? I know they’d turn it down eventually, but my stay up to that point would/may have been legal, and by that point I might have my new Letter of Introduction...

As for IEC not being for people whose current country of residence is Canada, I know the Irish Immigration people are telling any IEC applicants currently in Canada to list their home-country as their country of residence. Based on that I’m guessing it can’t be illegal, can it? The fact you can’t say you’re currently residing in Canada just seems to be a slight glitch/oversight in the system. It’s inevitable that people applying for their second year will be currently based in Canada.

you apply for an extension of ur work visa to Vegreville. it will fail but legally you will be allowed to work while on implied status. try look into lmo option if feasible for you. i can relate to your circumstance. its horrible. best of luck dude

thumps wrote: »
    you apply for an extension of ur work visa to Vegreville. it will fail but legally you will be allowed to work while on implied status. try look into lmo option if feasible for you. i can relate to your circumstance. its horrible. best of luck dude

Hey - thanks man. I’ve been reading that IEC is unique among work visas in that you’re just not allowed to get any kind of extension, apart from maybe by applying to be a visitor - which doesn’t allow you to work. Does going through Vegreville override that or something? Would that involve sending some printed forms off to the working visa address listed on here? http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/canada/vegreville.asp

LMO isn’t really feasible as I work as a) a music journalist and b) a record store guy. Not exactly core Canadian employment concerns.

I’m thinking my best option might be to stop working the day my visa expires, sit the pending IEC app out for 7 weeks and somehow stay afloat, and then hopefully by the time my new visa works out I’ll be able to return to the same job. They’re pretty nice like that. If I did all of that, then I would have an easy conscience at the border. If they ask whether I worked while my new visa was pending, I can direct them to bank statements, emails etc. showing that I didn’t receive any employment income in those 7 weeks. They could also maybe call my employer or pull up tax stuff or something.

Anyway, my absurd amount of research suggests it’s flat-out impossible to continue working under implied status after your IEC visa expires, without risking a) getting your employer in the sh*t and b) jeapordising future applications. But if you have first-hand knowledge of the Vegreville thing, please let me know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 thumps

Hey - thanks man. I’ve been reading that IEC is unique among work visas in that you’re just not allowed to get any kind of extension, apart from maybe by applying to be a visitor - which doesn’t allow you to work. Does going through Vegreville override that or something? Would that involve sending some printed forms off to the working visa address listed on here? http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/canada/vegreville.asp

LMO isn’t really feasible as I work as a) a music journalist and b) a record store guy. Not exactly core Canadian employment concerns.

I’m thinking my best option might be to stop working the day my visa expires, sit the pending IEC app out for 7 weeks and somehow stay afloat, and then hopefully by the time my new visa works out I’ll be able to return to the same job. They’re pretty nice like that. If I did all of that, then I would have an easy conscience at the border. If they ask whether I worked while my new visa was pending, I can direct them to bank statements, emails etc. showing that I didn’t receive any employment income in those 7 weeks. They could also maybe call my employer or pull up tax stuff or something.

Anyway, my absurd amount of research suggests it’s flat-out impossible to continue working under implied status after your IEC visa expires, without risking a) getting your employer in the sh*t and b) jeapordising future applications. But if you have first-hand knowledge of the Vegreville thing, please let me know!

myabe this has been tightened up since my time there. i went there on the usit visa and I had the usit lawyer, my work lawyer and an immigration lawyer a friend of mine went to at the time all confirm that it was completely legal to work while on implied status if you were seeking for an extension of a work permit with the same employer. i also know several people who did this and had no issues getting the iec visa. at the time its only ended up getting me 5 weeks extra on implied status so was nt really worth it. if you have the choice to go on visitor status, i would go on that but if you really enjoy your job maybe look into it further. hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 17 PureFiji

Thanks, it would be great!

yes i read that too. people select their home country as country of residence even if they are in canada. I thing its crazy to do, because you get stamps in your passport and to be honest i would not hide anything, its the goverment!!!!!!! they cant find out everything.

Advertisement