Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rental accommodation scheme

Options
  • 23-02-2013 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I'm looking for some advice please.
    I am currently tenant on the rental accomdation scheme, and gave been for the past three years. I have no complaints about this scheme. I was in receipt of illness benefit but as of January 2013 I have switched to job seekers benefit as I am well enough to look for employment.
    I have been offered a full time position with a Carlow company and I am not sure how this will affect my living conditions...
    can anyone advise me on what happens under this scheme if you are in employment. I am presuming I might be able to stay on this scheme with my rent contributions to the council increased??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭hadepsx

The General Way RAS Works

•The local authority pays the full rent to the accommodation providers on behalf of the tenant.
    •The landlord must be tax compliant and produce a Tax Clearance certificate from Revenue Commissioners.
    •The property must meet minimum standards for private rental accommodation.
    •The landlord must register the tenancy with the Private Residential Tenancies Board.
    •The Accommodation sourced may be the rent supplement recipients existing accommodation but where this is not suitable or where the landlord is unwilling to enter into RAS the local authority sources alternative accommodation. Pending the above, rent supplement continues to be available subject to the tenant continuing to qualify for rent supplement.

One of the main benefits of RAS is the elimination of poverty traps – as it helps to provide the necessary springboard to accessing employment, training or education opportunities which may lead to broader accommodation options in the future. Tenants can stay in the scheme upon taking up full time employment unlike rent supplementation. As the tenant’s income increases a higher contribution towards the rent will be sought.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 curious carlovian

Thanks very much for your information. You have been extremely helpful. I think it is great I will not be in a situation where my housing needs are jeopardized due to the fact I will be working.

I have spent the last four years in college and I am eager to get back working now. My income will not be much over minimum wage, and It if I lost my apartment, and my social welfare, it would not be much of a bonus to seek work, other than for my sanity.

I am currently waiting to be transfered from my apartment. I am finding this process difficult as with the cut backs, I seem to not be able to get an appointment with the housing officer. It is quiet frustrating.
    My reasons for applying for a transfer is the standards of the apartment are below standard : single glazed windows, no insulating in the property, no fire escapes, or any resources for my refuge. It can be a battle to get your situation dealt with!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Afaik your rent will increase by one fifth of your salary less the amount allowed for currently, up to a maximum of €100 per week. So if your total income increases by €200 weekly your rent will increase to €40 weekly plus what you currently pay. But if you earned €1000 a week your maximum rent will be €100.

My figures could be a little out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 curious carlovian

That seems fair to me. My income would be no where near €1000 weekly, but it might increase by €200 of my current income, I'm jot to sure yet. But this contribution increase seems do able and its a relief to know I get to keep my flat in thus scheme. Thank you for your help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

That seems fair to me. My income would be no where near €1000 weekly, but it might increase by €200 of my current income, I'm jot to sure yet. But this contribution increase seems do able and its a relief to know I get to keep my flat in thus scheme. Thank you for your help!
    If you were on Disability or invalidity or JSA or indeed any social welfare payment and were paying the normal council rent for a single person it is about €28-€32 per week so a €200 increase in your weekly income would increase your rent to approximately €70 weekly, I also think that the maximum may have been increased to €140 but not 100% sure. you could call the housing section in the town hall or the RAS section in Carlow or Tullow council offices and they should be able to give you all the detail you need.

• Advertisement
Advertisement