Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the Dell website always like this?

Options
  • 23-02-2013 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in the process of doing an OS reinstall and want to get the latest drivers ready. The page for my drivers is here: http://downloads.dell.com/Pages/Drivers/xps-l502x.html but I've tried the link in both Chrome and firefox and it seems to be just text. I remember the driver page looking a bit more advanced before and not with so many options. Now it looks like there's a million different downloads, how do I know which I need and which I don't? If I download an earlier version of a driver will it replace the latest version if I install it 2nd if I'm not careful and realise it's for hte same thing? It's difficult enough to tell what's what as it is but I haven't a clue when it's not laid out properly..

Any feedback appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,466 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

it looks like a problem on Dells side as I am on there nearly everyday downloading drivers and it never looked like that before

The best way to make sure you get the correct drivers is to stick your service tag into here
    the service tag will be on the bottom of a laptop or on top of a desktop
    if you are re-installing windows 7 then you probably won't need to install anything as it picks up most drivers these days, check in the device manager

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for that. Does device manager always fetch the latest drivers? I just did a few checks on "update driver" and chose to search automatically and it said the drivers were up to date, but there seems to be newer ones available, including the bios on the link above, is the only way to ensure you get the latest ones by going to the linked to page or putting in service tag?

I'm pretty afraid to take the next steps as I've never done an OS reinstall on 7 before and want to make sure I've everything ready!

Damn, just tried the service tag route and it appeared to be working fine but then when I clicked on the drivers&download tab, it took me to the text only page again. Must be something up so guess I'll just have to try another time if that's the only place to get the latest drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,466 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I wouldn't worry about getting the latest drivers for everything, as long there are no yellow exclamation marks against things in the device manager then you have all drivers installed

Thanks for that, bedlam that link is showing up as text only too. Does it show differently for you?

I'd rather get the most up to date drivers if possible as a few of the things I've used since first using my laptop are a little buggy so maybe some bugs have been ironed out. If the page becomes any easier to understand I'll just go there, if not, device manager it is I guess :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement