Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Radio Club

• 24-02-2013 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Limerick Radio Club is holding it's annual Radio, Electronics and Hobbies event on the Sunday 3rd March. The club which draws members from Clare. Limerick, Tipperary and Kerry will also host the Shannonside Astronomy Club, the International Plastic Modellers Society Shannon Branch and Atlantic AirVenture stands. So if you are interested in Amateur Radio, Astronomy, Plastic Modelling or the facilities offered by Atlantic AirVenture, the Radisson Blu Hotel, Ennis Road is the place to be. Admission is €5, doors open at 11.00am.

The Limerick Radio Club tries to foster interest in radio communications, electronics and physics through Amateur Radio.

Contact: Ger McNamara EI4GXB 087 2532512 or ei4gxb@gmail.com

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

is there a bring and buy stall, ? like the Mayo rally have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I never ever ever had any interest in Radio but shared other interests to members so paths crossed from time to time.

Nice to see the IRTS still active. I grew up with my old man a member and he's still out the back garden these days making his own aerials to this day.

I remember as a small child going into his radio room and he chatting to people and swapping QSL cards and marking off sections of a world map where he had made contact with. The smell of solder and the messing about
    with the morse code equipment and turning the aerials via the rotators and climbing the mast when no adult was about.

Later on growing up there was Pacrat?? where you connected a Radio to a computer through a lpt or rs232 port and could download images and weather images.

eventually the Limerick Radio Club secured a Login ID and password for Dial Up internet when UL became a HUB and through ATDT commands through a 9600bps modem we could manually dial UL (and get a security guard answer to a sequel of modem noise 9 times out of ten) This was well before there was any graphical interfaces. Roll on the 90's LRADCLUB@UL.ie was involved when Graphics hit the web and people using Mosaic in the Fish Tank in UL around the early to mid 90's, dot matrix printers printing ascii images and crude monotone before inkjets were available.

Also in the 90's the IRTS sometimes got involved with the 3rd Field Signals group of the FCA(RDF) in the local barracks where there was some events and knowledge sharing (I'd still love a 77 Set for sentimental reasons)

good times spent in my youth with cross over interests.

things appear to be somewhat evolved now with Software Radio and waterfall streams of bands where you can hear everything at once and record it and snoop/listen back to recordings of anything you've missed all in the small USB stick shape.

~B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Magnum

bullets wrote: »
    (I'd still love a 77 Set for sentimental reasons)

stick shape.

~B

I'd like one of them myself;)

Advertisement