Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low flying helicopter 23rd @ 4am

Options
  • 24-02-2013 1:14am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As title suggests, and to prevent any further signs of insanity for me, was there a chopper be it it coastguard or RNLI about? Neither flatmate or neighbour heard it, but we are on flight path for UCGH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,465 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Yep. I was walking the dog when it flew over. It was around on Wednesday night around the same time. Thought maybe it was a Garda chopper keeping an eye on the students.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Yep. I was walking the dog when it flew over. It was around on Wednesday night around the same time. Thought maybe it was a Garda chopper keeping an eye on the students.
    'Walking the dog' at 4am? How interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,465 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Vampire humans have Vampire dogs you know!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It was the property tax survey unit doing aerial mapping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭boboldpilot

99% certain it would be the Shannon Coastguard helicopter out on a mission. No one else would be out that late. There would need to be some serious trouble to drag the Garda helicopter all the way to Galway. Maybe if the students were trying to burn down the city centre!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Yes it was the Coastguard Helicopter I was driving past the rear of the Hospital at that time and saw it landing, its a great service for those that need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Yes it was "RESCUE 115" EI-ICG, Brand new Irish Coast Guard Helicopter its a Sikorsky S92.

As title suggests, and to prevent any further signs of insanity for me, was there a chopper be it it coastguard or RNLI about? Neither flatmate or neighbour heard it, but we are on flight path for UCGH

RNLI dont have any Airborne Assets, Only the Irish Coast Guard And Irish Air Corps.

No such thing as a "flight path" for UCHG, Helicopters will land and take off into the wind as do fixed wing Aircraft but realistically only fixed wing Aircraft fly in "flight paths" eg Jets/Light Aircraft/Airliners, having said that helicopters will use a "flight path" onto a runway if requested to do so or want to land on a runway instead of a helicopter pad/apron.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Probably a transfer from Galway to a Dublin hospital.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I asked because it was very low flying, and i stand corrected on flight 'path' that's my something new for today learned :)

• Advertisement

I asked because it was very low flying, and i stand corrected on flight 'path' that's my something new for today learned :)
    I know the guys they fly in to use the decompression chamber are meant to be kept at as low altitude as possible as it's lack of pressure that causes the nitrogen bubble formation that produces the bends.
    I don't know would that sort of diving occur anywhere at night time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

I know one of the guys working in the hospital, they brought in a female patient from the Aran Islands.

Chicken1 wrote: »
    I know one of the guys working in the hospital, they brought in a female patient from the Aran Islands.
    BTW, "patient" here can mean a mother in labour. They fly them in too, so not necessarily bad news at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    BTW, "patient" here can mean a mother in labour. They fly them in too, so not necessarily bad news at all.

That's what it was, from Inishmaan.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

baby girl born this morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

swiftman wrote: »

Was the babies birth related to the helicopter the other night ?

If so that's quite sweet that we were all woken up for it and congrats to all concerned,particularly the mum and dad.

I have to say that while it's sometimes irritating to be woken by these helicopters I never resent it,I always just feel a pang for anyone involved and hope theyre all ok.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

vulcan57 wrote: »
    That's what it was, from Inishmaan.
    Which village on Inis Meain?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Btw...if it is related to the birth of a child,yours or that of someone you know,print this thread out for her.It would be so cool in years to come for her to have proof her arrival in the world woke a city up.:)

Congrats on the baby girl, its a great service that the Coastguard and Air Corps provide, if it was not available it would be a trip in the Lifeboat to Rossaveal and Ambulance to Galway, the Helicopter is 11 minutes from Aran to Galway.

I live near the hospital and am awoken when it comes in to the Hospital, it never bothers me with the noise because everytime it lands its a life saved.

Well done to all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Congrats on the baby girl, its a great service that the Coastguard and Air Corps provide, if it was not available it would be a trip in the Lifeboat to Rossaveal and Ambulance to Galway, the Helicopter is 11 minutes from Aran to Galway.

I live near the hospital and am awoken when it comes in to the Hospital, it never bothers me with the noise because everytime it lands its a life saved.

Well done to all concerned.

not my child but i do know the parents. not sure if there on boards but they might be :)
    as you say storm,it is a great service, fantastic. one people couldnt live without.
    the helicopter is great only few mins and used with very serious injury, heart related and for pregnant women. this great to take all the stress away when any of them are worrying you.
    the lifeboat is also good but for lesser injury's/sickness when 80 mins is grand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭extraice

can see the helicopter coming over the bay now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

extraice wrote: »
    can see the helicopter coming over the bay now

This looks more like a search mission i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭extraice

landed in UCGH

Oops my bad. Gettin it wrong a lot of late, hopefully a successful mission anyway..

I assume they'll fly mother and baby back again? Would fit the timeline for a no-complications birth? That would be good.
    (resisting straying into mean-spirited "taxi service" sermon here :D)

I assume they'll fly mother and baby back again? Would fit the timeline for a no-complications birth? That would be good.

No they do not do that and last nights operation was a critically ill patient brought in from another part of the Country,

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I won't resist: surely it would not have been an uncomplicated birth, if someone had to be flown at night? Surely an uncomplicated labour would have been preceeded by a leisurely non-helicopter trip closer to a birthing centre, two or three weeks before the due date? Surely???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

there's a very low flying Helicopter flying over Lough Atalia at the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Ludikrus

I'm in knocknacarra - clybaun road, a helicopter just passed over and did last night as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

there's a very low flying Helicopter flying over Lough Atalia at the moment...

I believe there's an on-going search for a missing man from Newcastle.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement