Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low flying helicopter 23rd @ 4am

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Aerohead wrote: »
    Let me assure you that every helicopter that is landing at UHG is a medical emergency. take this info from someone who knows whats involved, nuff said

jeez ....bearing in mind that I live right across from the hospital I can safely say that not all the helicopters are landing at the hospital - can I be any more clearer than that?

Aerohead wrote: »
    No before this service started patients from outside the City would be taken by ambulance to the nearest hospital, with the shake up in the HSE and the launch of this service UHG is a centre of excellence for all seriously ill patients in the County and further so they are taken to Galway where they have the best medical facilites and staff to treat them on arrival.

aerohead. as I said not all the helicopters in the sky recently are medical emergencies. Its not a case of "oh there's a helicopter. its a medical emergency". Helicoptors are used for all sorts of things you know, not just casualties.

And even if it was casualties I find it hard to believe that there would be 3 - 4 EVERY EVENING (not counting morning or afternoon) for the past few months. heh heh :D:D unless one of our countys is going through civil war at the moment.

snubbleste wrote: »
    If your house is on a noisy road it will affect the value. This is noisy road in the sky :D Oh look there is a helicopter again @20:49

not a chance. people are scrambling to get houses in and around the hospital - perfect location. Helicoptor noise doesn't even come into it.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Same helicopter, she came in dropped off the casualty went to the Airport for fuel and came back again to pick up crewman and equipment, on arrival a crewman goes with the casulaty to the hospital to fill out details of what happened etc and to swop stretchers, so this takes time and if fuel is required they go to the Airport fill up and back in to collect crewman and equipment.

so they give the heli a paint job as well while they are re-fueling. :pac::pac: went in orange, came back black.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Post of the year.

When MEDEVAC112 ( Green Irish Air Corps Helicopter ) or RESCUE 115 ( S92A ) or RESCUE 118 ( S61N ) land at UCHG it is always a Medical.

You will often now see MEDEVAC112 land and depart to Carnmore for fuel before returning to pick up crew and rtb Athlone Barracks.

RESCUE 115 & RESCUE 118 can pretty much afford to sit on the pad for anything up to 20 minutes plus without shutting down.

MEDEVAC112 always shuts down on the pad when she lands unless she is fuel critical and in that case she will land, take off patient and equipment and whatever is necessary before going to fuel up at Carnmore before returning again to UHG to take back crew and equipment.

All in all its a great service being done by the HSE/Irish Air Corps And The Irish Coast Guard.

and the ones that don't land at the hospital - as I said not every helicopter is a medical issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Can you tell me where they are landing if not the hospital

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

And even if it was casualties I find it hard to believe that there would be 3 - 4 EVERY EVENING (not counting morning or afternoon) for the past few months. heh heh :D:D unless one of our countys is going through civil war at the moment.
    +1. I'm thinking a lot of things that used to be a routine one or two hour ambulance transfer are now being billed as medical emergencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

so they give the heli a paint job as well while they are re-fueling. :pac::pac: went in orange, came back black.

My house looks right down on the hospital and I'm not sure what you're looking at when you're seeing black helicopters. As already stated here a few times, the red and white helicopters are Coast guard and the dark green ones are the air ambulance operated by the air corps. yes it has been busy over the last week or so, but that just confirms that there is a need for the service and yes every helicopter that lands in the hospital isn't there for the heck of it, its there because some poor sole is critically ill or injured enough that they have to get to the hospital as quick as possible. There are no other landing sites around the hospital. That doesn't mean that the ambulances around Galway are redundant by any means, these casualties are being brought in from the county and further afield even as far away as Donegal and Kerry at times. I thank god that if anything should seriously happen to any of my family or friends that these guys are around to speed them to hospital far, far quicker that by road and deliver them within the golden hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

aerohead. as I said not all the helicopters in the sky recently are medical emergencies.

We're not talking about helicopters in the sky. We're talking about ones that land at the hospital.

Personally i'm delighted when they land, 'cos it means they're not circling the river/harbour area. Circling ones pretty much always mean bad news.

Was just about to post that it has been a quiet day and NACC tweet:

Irish Ambulance NAS ‏@AmbulanceNAS 4m
    NAS NACC has tasked IRCG to an Incident in Co. Mayo

That could well come in here, if it does it'll be the coast guard red and white one , Rescue 118 from Sligo.

• Advertisement

Rescue 118 in from sligo, landing UCHG 19.48.

303B4334325D4FFAB2A5BB6C45A68917-0000324460-0003272884-00800L-000537BF98AD47999A8D36AFF54E8021.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

bloody hell, the Medevac fellas are having a hectic day, just tasked to one in Galway after one in Kerry an hour or two ago...it must be all the sun and outdoor activity.... hope all patients are doing well!

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Coastguard came from Belmullet and Air Corps from Clifden , Coastguard has a another tasking this time to a fishing Trawler 100 miles out

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Rescue 118 just took off and headed North North West (back to Sligo presumably) and less than 3 minutes later, Medevac 112 came in to land from a North West direction.

Edit: Not to Sligo as Storm has reliably informed us but to a stricken trawler.

These guys are unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

And again just now...

vulcan57 wrote: »
    My house looks right down on the hospital and I'm not sure what you're looking at when you're seeing black helicopters. As already stated here a few times, the red and white helicopters are Coast guard and the dark green ones are the air ambulance operated by the air corps. yes it has been busy over the last week or so, but that just confirms that there is a need for the service and yes every helicopter that lands in the hospital isn't there for the heck of it, its there because some poor sole is critically ill or injured enough that they have to get to the hospital as quick as possible. There are no other landing sites around the hospital. That doesn't mean that the ambulances around Galway are redundant by any means, these casualties are being brought in from the county and further afield even as far away as Donegal and Kerry at times. I thank god that if anything should seriously happen to any of my family or friends that these guys are around to speed them to hospital far, far quicker that by road and deliver them within the golden hour.

there are plenty of landing sites around galway - what do you think people do going to the races - land at the hospital. there is actually another landing site not five minutes from the hospital - if you know the area you live in, then you will know about the landing sites nearby that are alternative to the hospital sites. As I said, not every low flying helicoptor is a medical emergency. :)

We're not talking about helicopters in the sky. We're talking about ones that land at the hospital.

Personally i'm delighted when they land, 'cos it means they're not circling the river/harbour area. Circling ones pretty much always mean bad news.

are we not talking about "low flying helicopters" - see the topic.

Hard to get too worked up about emergency service helicopter noise when there's an airhole circling the city at a few hundred feet all day.

there are plenty of landing sites around galway - what do you think people do going to the races - land at the hospital. there is actually another landing site not five minutes from the hospital - if you know the area you live in, then you will know about the landing sites nearby that are alternative to the hospital sites. As I said, not every low flying helicoptor is a medical emergency. :)

OK fishy fishy, you may think I'm having a go at you, but I really am not, I don't know you and I'm sure you're an OK person. Firstly, there are places close to the hospital that have occasional landings by private helicopters, namely Mary's College and the Ardilaun hotel to name two, and they can get busy at times when the races are on. These however are not dedicated landing sites like the pad at UCHG which is a purpose built, strengthened pad to take the weight of the Coast guard helicopters along with the appropriate lighting and a wind sock. I totally agree with you that not all helicopters that fly around the city are there because of a medical emergency, but all the ones that land at UCHG are. I also see your point of the title of this thread being 'Low Flying Helicopter' and the confusion there, but it does also say in the title '@ 4 am' and there wouldn't be private helicopters flying around at that time of the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

If people are finding the thread title confusing; drop myself or one of the other mods a quick PM with a suitable different thread title, and we'll get it changed lickity split. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭asdfg!

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Hard to get too worked up about emergency service helicopter noise when there's an airhole circling the city at a few hundred feet all day.
    What 'airhole' would that be? Apart from the above mentioned military and coastguard helicopters. Civvie helicopters are not that common anymore. It's not as if one of the Garda helicopters come to Galway regularly.

Helicopters do land at the Galway clinic regularly, one of the consultants owns it. But they don't go near the city.

I think the problem is that Galway is small city and larger helicopters can be heard or a wide area even when simply sitting on the ground at the hospital never mind in the air.

But you better get used to the noise. UCHG is the designated hospital for a wide area of the west and the air ambulance is getting a lot of calls. Which as I said earlier proves the need for the service.

asdfg! wrote: »
    What 'airhole' would that be? Apart from the above mentioned military and coastguard helicopters. Civvie helicopters are not that common anymore. It's not as if one of the Garda helicopters come to Galway regularly.
    I'm plenty used to noise believe me, helicopters or no helicopters! \m/
    Nah, this was the usual weekend Cessna job doing low circles of the city, but that's for the conclusion jumping anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Nah, this was the usual weekend Cessna job doing low circles of the city, but that's for the conclusion jumping anyway.

I'm always amazed at the intolerance to light aircraft. It wouldn't occur to anyone to complain about the noise of their neighbour's lawnmower which will be louder, more persistent and a lot less entertaining to look at.

churchview wrote: »
    I'm always amazed at the intolerance to light aircraft. It wouldn't occur to anyone to complain about the noise of their neighbour's lawnmower which will be louder, more persistent and a lot less entertaining to look at.
    Believe it or not, and this may shock you, but I've seen aircraft before. I don't exactly view them with wild excitement as a two year old would. Do you also say "look look tractor!" when one passes?
    And no, my neighbour does not mow his lawn for most of Saturday and Sunday every weekend. Perhaps you live next to a golf course and consider that normal?
    I see you (accidentally I'd imagine) admitted that there was quite a lot of people annoyed by low circling aircraft above the city. "Intolerance" you called it...
    So, since there's no end of aero cheerleaders here, perhaps you could tell us all what the minimum altitude permissable is for aircraft over an urban area?

Believe it or not, and this may shock you, but I've seen aircraft before. I don't exactly view them with wild excitement as a two year old would. Do you also say "look look tractor!" when one passes?
    And no, my neighbour does not mow his lawn for most of Saturday and Sunday every weekend. Perhaps you live next to a golf course and consider that normal?
    I see you (accidentally I'd imagine) admitted that there was quite a lot of people annoyed by low circling aircraft above the city. "Intolerance" you called it...
    So, since there's no end of aero cheerleaders here, perhaps you could tell us all what the minimum altitude permissable is for aircraft over an urban area?

I suppose I maybe just have more to get worked up about than someone just having a spin. Personally I think it's great that Galway Airport is now being more used by the GA community.

Not sure if the reference to "look look tractor" and a "two year old" is an attempt at an insult or just another example of intolerance.

As to your question, 1500ft over a congested area, 500ft otherwise, both allowing for pressure variations of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭asdfg!

This thread is about low flying helicopters. Hence the confusion. Aeroplanes are not allowed to fly a 'few hundred feet' over the city 'all day' anyway so quite what you're on about I don't know.

There's an Air Corps Cessna which is noisy and circles the city regularly for a certain reason, but never at weekends. The Flying club come and go but you could hardly say they spend the whole day circling and there's the Skydive aircraft but that's usually so high you can barely see it even if you hear it sometimes.

So what is this mystery aircraft buzzing the chimney pots of Galway city all day every weekend?

This thread is about low flying helicopters. Hence the confusion. Aeroplanes are not allowed to fly a 'few hundred feet' over the city 'all day' anyway so quite what you're on about I don't know.
    I'm on about the light aircraft that circles the city all weekend? I thought that was pretty clear? Is there an upper limit to how long they are allowed to fly below a certain height?
    There's an Air Corps Cessna which is noisy and circles the city regularly for a certain reason, but never at weekends. The Flying club come and go but you could hardly say they spend the whole day circling and there's the Skydive aircraft but that's usually so high you can barely see it even if you hear it sometimes.

So what is this mystery aircraft buzzing the chimney pots of Galway city all day every weekend?
    It has one engine and two biggish wings. It does circles of varying heights around Galway every weekend. I may not have sonar eyes, but there's no way it is always over 1500ft. Anybody who can see the helicopters landing at GUH will corroborate this.

I suppose I maybe just have more to get worked up about than someone just having a spin. Personally I think it's great that Galway Airport is now being more used by the GA community.
    And personally I have no interest in GA at all unless, as seems to be the case, the local council are insistent on spending my taxes on a turkey.
    Not sure if the reference to "look look tractor" and a "two year old" is an attempt at an insult or just another example of intolerance.
    No more insulting than the suggestion that we should be entertained by low flying bog standard light aircraft I'd say.
    As to your question, 1500ft over a congested area, 500ft otherwise, both allowing for pressure variations of course.
    Is Galway City considered a congested area? No way this plane is always over 1500ft.

No way this plane is always over 1500ft.

In your opinion.

Any pilot found violating rules relating to flight level could lose his licence pretty sharpish, particularly in controlled airspace within (I think) 10 nautical miles of Galway Airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

just to give a bit of support to Dan Solo - I don't know why but I find the noise of small planes very irritating.

I must say though in recent times it doesn't seem to be as bad out around Oranmore anyway, I was putting it down to the recession.

A few years ago it seemed like the whole weekend was filled with the drone of them - really annoying

Seven Worlds will Collide

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement