Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low flying helicopter 23rd @ 4am

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭asdfg!

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    I'm on about the light aircraft that circles the city all weekend? I thought that was pretty clear? Is there an upper limit to how long they are allowed to fly below a certain height?
    It has one engine and two biggish wings. It does circles of varying heights around Galway every weekend. I may not have sonar eyes, but there's no way it is always over 1500ft. Anybody who can see the helicopters landing at GUH will corroborate this.
    The difficulty with your story is that it doesn't make sense. According to you, there is this one aircraft which circles Galway at low level all weekend. Does this happen every weekend? Was he there this weekend?

Now the flying club fly at the weekends and they probably overfly the city regularly. But it's a club so every flight has a different pilot and flying low over the town is not a good idea for any pilot. Could it be that your just seeing different aircraft passing over during the day? It can't be the skydivers because they never fly low. They need to get their loads up to 10,000 feet. They do circle as they climb but their job is to get up there fast and down even faster. As those guys are professional pilots they wouldn't want to do anything to endanger their lives and their passengers' lives not to mention their licences.

Aren't you just exaggerating a bit?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

churchview wrote: »
    In your opinion.
    And that's your opinion.
    Gee, wasn't that fun?
    In defense of my opinion, I actually saw the plane. You didn't.

asdfg! wrote: »
    The difficulty with your story is that it doesn't make sense. According to you, there is this one aircraft which circles Galway at low level all weekend. Does this happen every weekend? Was he there this weekend?
    Yes, it was here this weekend.
    It is much more prevalent in the summer than winter, which pretty much assures it's a civilian on a spin.
    TBH, it was probably worse, as mentioned above, about 2-3 years ago, when *every* half decent day had a plane in the sky all day. Now it's mainly weekends.
    Now the flying club fly at the weekends and they probably overfly the city regularly. But it's a club so every flight has a different pilot and flying low over the town is not a good idea for any pilot.
    I never would have guessed getting close to the ground was a bad idea if you're in an aircraft that isn't over a runway. Thanks for clarifying that.
    Could it be that your just seeing different aircraft passing over during the day?
    Oh, I see. If it's a series of different low circling aircraft that's waaaay different than the same plane low circling all day with regards to noise pollution.
    Genius.
    It can't be the skydivers because they never fly low. They need to get their loads up to 10,000 feet. They do circle as they climb but their job is to get up there fast and down even faster. As those guys are professional pilots they wouldn't want to do anything to endanger their lives and their passengers' lives not to mention their licences.
    I don't think it's skydivers. Plane looks too small.
    Aren't you just exaggerating a bit?
    Nowhere near as much as your are overdoing your full-on defensive mode TBH.
    This is another one of those "special interest" threads at Boards where 90% of the posters here are guaranteed to be on message. It'd be more interesting to hear from a few more Galway residents who don't just so happen to have a pilot's license, ya know?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

I'm located near roscam and hear them all the time. A friend is looking to get his ppl and he started his lessons last weekend. They flew from Oranmore direction into Galway using the coast road as reference, they did this multiple times within an hour. Therefore I get them almost directly above my house.
    I may stand corrected, but I think the club itself only owns 2 planes. Two Cessna 182's.
    Having an interest in avaiation means it is completely no nuiscene to me at all :)

Well Dan, you were one who introduced the subject. No need for the attitude and sarcasm. Personally if you feel a plane is being operated recklessly overhead then get it's number and report it. It should be easy to see it's registration if it's as low as you say. You'd be quite right to report it if what you say is correct. It is unacceptable. As it isn't me, it's not as if I'm worried.

It's fairly obvious though that there's not one plane or one pilot but apparently they all fly too low all weekend over your house. So there a doubt cast on your whole story which makes it look like an exaggeration.

As for being defensive, after reading some of the criticism of the rescue and medical helicopters on this thread who wouldn't be?

Let's see who posted this:
    +1. I'm thinking a lot of things that used to be a routine one or two hour ambulance transfer are now being billed as medical emergencies
    Rubbish, people were dying on the way to hospital because of the lack of rapid transport. I've actually spoken to one of the crews involved and they don't get called out unless it really is a serious incident. So every time they land at UCHG someone is in serious trouble. They're not bringing Granny in to get her hip replaced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

There were plenty of light aircraft passing around the City over the weekend, a lot of them visited Aran great to see them in the West, by the way all aircraft are under either Shannon or Galway control and have every right to be in the air. I dont know what you would do if you lived in London huge passenger planes in and out every thirty seconds, anyone of you that has flown into London City can see how long you are passing over a huge City and here ye are talking about the odd light aircraft noise

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭islanderre

The parachute club now based @ Galway Airport has a single engined plane which in comparasion to the flying clubs Cessna's is quite loud.... I lived close to Galway airport all my life and can only compare this aircraft's engine drone to that of the Irish Aer Corps REIMS Cessna.

Aircraft noise has never bothered me........ I find it strangely Therapeutic!!!!!!!!!

Well Dan, you were one who introduced the subject. No need for the attitude and sarcasm.
    I notice you have no problem with pro-aircraft types here displaying attitude and sarcasm, so you know exactly how much worth your own pronouncements of same carry.
    Personally if you feel a plane is being operated recklessly overhead then get it's number and report it. It should be easy to see it's registration if it's as low as you say. You'd be quite right to report it if what you say is correct. It is unacceptable. As it isn't me, it's not as if I'm worried.
    Yeah, I said it was you didn't I, you got me there. Sheesh.
    Maybe you have 20/20, but apparently the minimum altitude is 1500ft over city areas. No my eyes ain't bad, but you know well you won't get those reg numbers at 1000ft without a binoculars which I don't own and don't really think I should have to fork out for to get people to obey the law.
    It's fairly obvious though that there's not one plane or one pilot but apparently they all fly too low all weekend over your house. So there a doubt cast on your whole story which makes it look like an exaggeration.
    You haven't said why this is obvious, just stated it. I guess you are master of all the universe so you don't need to provide evidence or use logic, just a simple pronouncement ends all debate?
    As for being defensive, after reading some of the criticism of the rescue and medical helicopters on this thread who wouldn't be?
    Well mate, if you look back I specifically said it wasn't even worth worrying about emergency service noise when joyriders are making far more noise. That kind of criticism?
    Like I said already, all we're getting here is air fan after air fan backing each other and clicking the thanks buttons. Big whoopee do. It's a bit like asking people at a gun club if guns are good or not.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    There were plenty of light aircraft passing around the City over the weekend, a lot of them visited Aran great to see them in the West, by the way all aircraft are under either Shannon or Galway control and have every right to be in the air. I dont know what you would do if you lived in London huge passenger planes in and out every thirty seconds, anyone of you that has flown into London City can see how long you are passing over a huge City and here ye are talking about the odd light aircraft noise
    Thanks for bringing up the issue of A to B passenger planes, an issue which absolutely nobody on this thread or anywhere else had complained about.
    But hey, if you think X HERE is bad, you should see over THERE where they have 10 times X! If you think getting a stick of TNT lit in your trousers is bad, you should see Hiroshima!

Let's see who posted this:Rubbish, people were dying on the way to hospital because of the lack of rapid transport. I've actually spoken to one of the crews involved and they don't get called out unless it really is a serious incident. So every time they land at UCHG someone is in serious trouble. They're not bringing Granny in to get her hip replaced.
    Well I know myself for a cast iron fact that this is false as islanders are regularly airlifted to GUH for routine scheduled baby deliveries. Are you telling me now they are life and death emergencies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Well I know myself for a cast iron fact that this is false as islanders are regularly airlifted to GUH for routine scheduled baby deliveries. Are you telling me now they are life and death emergencies?

So just to be clear here. Planes = guns, and any flight other than a life and death emergency causes you to throw your toys out of the pram because your solitude (which apparently isn't bothered by lawn mowers, cars, motorcycles, outboards etc.) is disturbed. Maybe have a beer, relax, live and let live?

As to islanders who have the cheek to live somewhere without access to emergency maternity care if a complication should arise during a delivery...let's make them take hookers or currachs to Galway in case anyone's precious solitude is disturbed.

So just to be clear here. Planes = guns, and any flight other than a life and death emergency causes you to throw your toys out of the pram because your solitude (which apparently isn't bothered by lawn mowers, cars, motorcycles, outboards etc.) is disturbed. Maybe have a beer, relax, live and let live?
    Maybe you should have a few less beers or bowls or whatever you're on. Wouldn't live and let live constitute NOT annoying people with un-necessary noise pollution? Oh, sure that's not noise, I love planes I do. They sound lovely.
    As to islanders who have the cheek to live somewhere without access to emergency maternity care if a complication should arise during a delivery...let's make them take hookers or currachs to Galway in case anyone's precious solitude is disturbed.
    Again, pure makey uppery. Did you know birth isn't necessarily an emergency? This isn't a compliacation, if you bothered to read or simply aren't able to. Every birth they are flown in well in advance of the birth.
    You could quietly admit you know nothing whatsoever on the subject and slink back off again. Promise I won't poke fun. Stick to clicking the thanks 'cos your posting is laughable.

Thanks from: churchview

LOL, you don't even know who you're thanking here do you! I take back everything I said! Keep the appreciation coming churchview! :-)

Maybe you should have a few less beers or bowls...... if you bothered to read or simply aren't able to.......
    You could quietly admit you know nothing whatsoever on the subject and slink back off again. Promise I won't poke fun. Stick to clicking the thanks 'cos your posting is laughable.

Any chance you could address the issue?

Why are planes more annoying to you than cars, lawnmowers, outboards, motorcycles etc?

Why would you accuse others of knowing nothing when you've not demonstrated any superior or more qualified knowledge?

Why would you launch into a diatribe on pregnancy? Where did I say the pregnancy is an emergency?

Thanks from: churchview

LOL, you don't even know who you're thanking here do you! I take back everything I said! Keep the appreciation coming churchview! :-)

That was intentional. Thought it might cheer you up a bit

That was intentional. Thought it might cheer you up a bit
    Shure. Totally 100% believe you there.*

* That's called sarcasm. Learn to spot it.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

if the occassional drone of small aircraft gets you so annoyed that you need to vent on the internet then i think you need to seriously chill.
    Maybe go for a walk or something.

seriously

Any chance you could address the issue?
    Shoot then.
    Why are planes more annoying to you than cars, lawnmowers, outboards, motorcycles etc?
    Sitting in my back garden having a snooze, which of the above is most likely to annoy me? A low circling aircraft or an outboard motor? Tough one, I know.
    Why would you accuse others of knowing nothing when you've not demonstrated any superior or more qualified knowledge?
    There's nothing in that sentence really is there? I mean, it's like saying why do you disagree with things you disagree with. There's no evidence of anything at all in it.
    Why would you launch into a diatribe on pregnancy? Where did I say the pregnancy is an emergency?
    Again, we're off on a magical mystery tour to fantasy land.
    Show us this "diatribe on pregnancy". Please. Go on. Why bother, you won't.
    What you said was:
    "As to islanders who have the cheek to live somewhere without access to emergency maternity care if a complication should arise during a delivery..."
    Which has a sum total of ZERO relevance to perfectly healthy mothers to be getting flown in for births. I was told every flight to GUH was an emergency. I know for a fact they aren't.
    Which is it then? Are all childbirths emergencies (therefore we should have a whizzing ambulance for every one, right?) or are all GUH flights emergencies (in which case not all childbirths are emergencies).
    It's up to you what was you want to embarrassingly contradict yourself here really! Be my guest!

flynnlives wrote: »
    if the occassional drone of small aircraft gets you so annoyed that you need to vent on the internet then i think you need to seriously chill.
    Maybe go for a walk or something.

seriously
    Oh, seriously?
    If the occasional complaint of low circling aircraft for, yes, hours, has you so annoyed that you need to vent on the...
    Oh nevermind, you've picked a side so your logic went out the window simultaneously.
    Why don't you chill? Go lie down and sleep it off mate huh? You sound like you can't handle the pressure cooker atmosphere of boards.ie.

Do you actually take people saying stuff on the internet as evidence of something really important? OMG, you are so upset by this you did the absolute smallest, least significant thing possible in the universe, posted about it on the internet!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

What the douce is this thread about!!!??????? :confused: :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

What the douce is this thread about!!!??????? :confused: :cool:

It's about the average Galway persons love of helicopters.How we like to tell someone when we have seen or heard one and how we like to surmise as to what it might have been doing at the time. We even like to argue about it. It's a vital part of our online social discourse at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,465 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

While I am not impressed with Dan_Solos posting style or attitude and I have no knowledge of heights or regulations etc nor does it annoy me I have to confirm his original post on the matter. That little plane/s does/do circle the city numerous times every weekend. It seemed to have stopped for winter time but it's been back for the last three weeks now. Came around for at least four visits last Saturday afternoon.
    It never bothers me though as it's a handy alarm clock and it's presence usually means the weather is good outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Guys. The tone on this thread has taken a real nasty turn. If you can't be civil to each other, please don't bother posting. If something is up for discussion, I expect people to be able to debate it without resorting to aggressive posting, attacks on other posters, or sarcasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Guys. The tone on this thread has taken a real nasty turn. If you can't be civil to each other, please don't bother posting. If something is up for discussion, I expect people to be able to debate it without resorting to aggressive posting, attacks on other posters, or sarcasm.

+1

It never bothers me though as it's a handy alarm clock and it's presence usually means the weather is good outside.
    You probably didn't even notice this, but you just admitted it's loud enough to act as an alarm clock! I tend to look out the window myself to see what the weather's like, not wait to woken by low flying aircraft?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm with Dan-solo on this.

Birth isn't an emergency. A large proportion of births do not require medical intervention at all.

Now, yes, it is a good idea to give birth in a place where medical intervention is available quickly if it's needed. So women the world over who live in remote locatins do generally travel to a clty and stay there for a while before they're due.

But this is not a medical emergency. It's simply routine behaviour. And the usual means of public transport (ferries, not hookers or currachs, these days) are perfectly adequate, except in bad weather. (I'm not sure how well helicopters cope when the weatehr is too rough for the ferries.)

If helicopters are being used for this, then it's sheer mis-use of the service.

Flying perfectly healthy pregnant women directly to hospital by helicopter would be a misuse of the service if it's actually happening. If certain people know for a fact that this happens maybe they should provide proof of this and complain to their TD or something!

In reality it's far more likely that these women are having crisis pregnancies. In any case islanders have long had access to aircraft for emergencies. Perhaps you'd like to take that off them. Make them all move to the mainland?

The truth is that these helicopters are used for genuine emergencies. Not as a taxi service. To suggest otherwise is typical internet trolling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

There it is again. Appeared to approach from the west before doing a loop over the hospital and landing from the North.

I'm with Dan-solo on this.

Birth isn't an emergency. A large proportion of births do not require medical intervention at all.

Now, yes, it is a good idea to give birth in a place where medical intervention is available quickly if it's needed. So women the world over who live in remote locatins do generally travel to a clty and stay there for a while before they're due.

But this is not a medical emergency. It's simply routine behaviour. And the usual means of public transport (ferries, not hookers or currachs, these days) are perfectly adequate, except in bad weather. (I'm not sure how well helicopters cope when the weatehr is too rough for the ferries.)

If helicopters are being used for this, then it's sheer mis-use of the service.

I agree with you completely Mrs. O'B. I just didn't see any point in engaging further with the other individual. I was referring to if complications or an emergency arise during the pregnancy.

OT, but anyway.....pregnancy is far too medicalised in this country. It's virtually impossible to get a midwife to attend a home due to liability issues and this is only going to get worse due to impending legislation. Attempting to give birth in Galway without intervention by Obstetricians in particularly difficult.

Frankly, I don't believe that helicopters are being used to transport routine pregnancies. Access to the lifeboat or the plane service (depending on the weather) existed in the past in the event for emergencies, not routine transportation. Helicopters can travel in windier conditions than the Islander planes (although they're amazing aircraft), so in bad weather they may have been used in a crisis pregnancy situation, but alleging that this would be routine is risable.

OT again; I met a Chilean woman on Friday who gave birth herself in her own home in Westport five months ago. She phoned the hospital to tell them the baby had arrived and they were insisting on sending an ambulance to which her response was why? She and the baby were perfectly well! Great lady.

***Edit - I see asdfg has said pretty much what I've said but far more eloquently.

• Advertisement

In reality it's far more likely that these women are having crisis pregnancies. In any case islanders have long had access to aircraft for emergencies. Perhaps you'd like to take that off them. Make them all move to the mainland?
    Why don't you just pretend I said I want to nuke the Aran Islands? It's about as close to the strawman you're trying to put into my mouth as saying I want to remove emergency services from them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement