Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dogs going to die soon...

• 24-02-2013 1:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

My dog Trixy is gonna die soon and I've no clue how I'm gonna cope, I've had her since I was 5 which makes her over 13 years old..She's acting weird lately, not eating and being unresponsive and I know she doesn't have long left..What can I do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

take her to the vets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Take her to the vets so they can see if she needs medical treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

I'll talk with my mam about it, I'm only 18 so I really don't think I can make a decision as big as that, although if she's in pain there's no other option I suppose, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Wibbles19

Sorry to hear that op, I've one of my dogs hitting the twilight years and my vet has been brilliant in helping us to manage the ageing process. For us the medical intervention has been fantastic and given us the comfort to be able to give Eddie the comfort of a pain free and stress free old age. Take Trixy to your vet, and get proper advice on what she needs. You will cope just fine if you have done everything you can for her.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

@ OP take your dog to the vet for a check up, you don't know what's wrong with them, and you vet will be able to assess your dog, advise if there is a method of treatment that will help etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Zenno, with all due respect, I have deleted your post because nobody can tell where the OP's dog is health-wise, and whilst your post describes your own experience, it could be very wide of the mark regarding the diagnosis for OP's dog, and is, quite frankly, a little disconcerting to read.
    To all: please do not attempt to diagnose the OP's dog's condition, or what is likely to happen next.
    To OP: please, bring your dog to the vet asap. Apart from messages of support for you in this sad scenario, there is nobody here who can advise until you at least have a diagnosis, and prognosis, from your vet.
    The very best of luck, this is not an easy time for you.

Do no reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Thats very sad, but dont give up hope until you have been to the vet.
    Your dog, being elderly, may just be under the weather and not feeling great for some reason, the vet will help.
    Sometimes my very elderly dog (15) will just need some quiet time if hes feeling the cold or not in top form or whatever
    Let us know what the vet has to say
    You've been lucky to have had your beloved pet for so long, so keep thinking about all the love you've had. Nothing makes it easier -- part of life I guess.
    Hugs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

this will be no consolation to you but my inlaws dog 16 years old was acting odd i brought him to vets they were very worried thinking the end was near he lived to the grand old age of 23 died peacefully in his sleep 12 days short of his 24th birthday so get to the vets asap you maybe upsetting yourself for nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

jimf wrote: »
    this will be no consolation to you but my inlaws dog 16 years old was acting odd i brought him to vets they were very worried thinking the end was near he lived to the grand old age of 23 died peacefully in his sleep 12 days short of his 24th birthday so get to the vets asap you maybe upsetting yourself for nothing

That's nearly old enough to be on the record books:)

ryanf1 wrote: »
    That's nearly old enough to be on the record books:)

i just googled and your right it would be close to a record it stands at 26

i found it hard to believe myself but my father inlaw told me he got him for my wifes brother when he was 10 my brother inlaw was 33 when the dog died my wife thought he was 21 but my father inlaw was adamant he was right

i might start a new thread so posters here can let us know the grand old age of their past or present pets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

That's definitely uplifting, 23 is a good age for a human is some countries! I'm sure she's fine, her eating is back to normal and she's barking as per usual, thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

TheStook wrote: »
    That's definitely uplifting, 23 is a good age for a human is some countries! I'm sure she's fine, her eating is back to normal and she's barking as per usual, thanks!

I think at her age you should consider having her checked over just in case. She sounds ok but better to be on the safe side.

ryanf1 wrote: »
    I think at her age you should consider having her checked over just in case. She sounds ok but better to be on the safe side.

yes i would agree with ryan just for your own peace of mind if nothing else

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

i just googled and your right it would be close to a record it stands at 26

i found it hard to believe myself but my father inlaw told me he got him for my wifes brother when he was 10 my brother inlaw was 33 when the dog died my wife thought he was 21 but my father inlaw was adamant he was right

i might start a new thread so posters here can let us know the grand old age of their past or present pets

I'd a dog who was over 20 when he died, poor bugger ended in the pound :( had a few lovely months before he left us :) Vet couldn't believe the age of him!
    TheStook wrote: »

Good news OP :) Maybe take her back into the vets for a check if your parents agree?

Advertisement