Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary Schools - City East

Options
  • 23-02-2013 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi!

I'm looking for some advice, I currently live in the UK and am planning to move back to Galway later this year. I have 2 boys (aged 4 & 7) and I would really appreciate some advice on primary schools in the Galway city area. My sister lives in Roscam and I'll probably live round there. I want to send my boys to a good school but have no knowledge on schools in the area.

So any advice on primary schools would be great

Many thanks in advance,

Sharon

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

If you are planning on living in Roscam then you are going to be looking at schools in that area I'd imagine and not trekking to Salthill etc every morning so I won't mention schools on the west side of the city.

Scoil Dara (Gaelscoil) is probably the best from what I am told in that area. Renmore also gets good reviews. Oranmore would be close but I don't know anything about it. Briarhill is meant to be a good school too. Be careful when choosing the primary school and ensure it feeds into the secondary you want them to get in to ad Galway is notoriously hard to get into secondary schools unless the child is either in the feeder school or his/her name down on the list from birth practically!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some suggestions in this older thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81591434

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Scoil Dara (Gaelscoil) is probably the best from what I am told in that area. Renmore also gets good reviews. Oranmore would be close but I don't know anything about it. Briarhill is meant to be a good school too. Be careful when choosing the primary school and ensure it feeds into the secondary you want them to get in to ad Galway is notoriously hard to get into secondary schools unless the child is either in the feeder school or his/her name down on the list from birth practically!!

All good.

But there's another option, too.

Merlin Woods primary opened in temp premises in 2011, and will be going into its permanent buildings in 2013 or 14. The associated Merlin College will be alongside.

Brand new school, no staff inherited from elsewhere (in the primary school anyway), so all hand-picked. I've heard lots of good things about it.

Yes, the neighbourhood is about 1/3 immigrants. But a lot of them are professionaly educated, hard-working people with serious aspirations for their kids: it's no ghetto.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 aoife09

Folander wrote: »
    Hi!

I'm looking for some advice, I currently live in the UK and am planning to move back to Galway later this year. I have 2 boys (aged 4 & 7) and I would really appreciate some advice on primary schools in the Galway city area. My sister lives in Roscam and I'll probably live round there. I want to send my boys to a good school but have no knowledge on schools in the area.

So any advice on primary schools would be great

Many thanks in advance,

Sharon

Hi Sharon,
    I'm in the same boat. I'm moving to around the same area but I'm finding it very hard to find a primary school that has spaces left for September? Did you have any luck?

Advertisement