Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 to SSD

Options
  • 24-02-2013 3:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

My hard drive is close to failing and I'm sending it back to hardwareversand.de. However, my Windows 7 is installed on it and I'm wondering how do I/can I transfer it to my newly purchased SSD?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Do a fresh install and just transfer any important files over.

It's not a good idea to transfer a windows install from a hdd to an ssd.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 CalvinL

BloodBath wrote: »
    Do a fresh install and just transfer any important files over.

It's not a good idea to transfer a windows install from a hdd to an ssd.

So, what you're saying is to just put the installation CD in when I've my SSD inside the PC, and install it using the same key?

I also probably should have added that its an OEM from Hardewareversand and it came pre-installed.

Yes, just disconnect your hdd's and install it to the ssd.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Yes, just disconnect your hdd's and install it to the ssd.

Are you sure that works? I thought the key could only be used once..

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭MagicBusDriver1

CalvinL wrote: »

You can image your hard disk and then transfer the image on to your ssd. There is no need or advantage in reinstalling windows.

• Advertisement

It should be fine.
    You can image your hard disk and then transfer the image on to your ssd. There is no need or advantage in reinstalling windows.

Which is why I stated doing it like this rather than using an image. Windows will automatically configure itself for use with an ssd where as using an image will use the hdd settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

CalvinL wrote: »

It will be fine. You are aloud to change the HDD with your OEM copy. Simply ring a MS number, and deal with a computer auto-prompter. You select the option that you're reinstalling on the same computer, and then it reads out long series of activation codes you enter. It's that simple. Takes less then 5 minutes.
    I've done this many times. I even went from AMD to intel. Which was not aloud.

Thank you all for the help. I'm going to probably do a fresh install tomorrow, when my SSD arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

You can clone your hard drive disk to the SSD

Some SSD manufacturers give free clone software with their products, just keep the data on the hard drive just in case things don't go according to plan

Also, make sure if you are replacing the boot disk that the capacity of your SSD drive is enough for all software that are also installed on your boot drive

Thanks, I'm going to do it now soon. Just gonna keep the SSD for Win7 only.

• Advertisement

What size is the ssd? You should be able to fit a lot of programs on there. I'd put all your small programs on it at least and anything that opens on startup.

The virtual memory default is 10gb, you can reduce this down to 2-3gb. You can disable hibernation saving 5gb's

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

nucker wrote: »
    You can clone your hard drive disk to the SSD

Some SSD manufacturers give free clone software with their products, just keep the data on the hard drive just in case things don't go according to plan

Also, make sure if you are replacing the boot disk that the capacity of your SSD drive is enough for all software that are also installed on your boot drive

You shouldn't do this as the OS won't be optimised for the SSD. However, if you insist on doing it, here's a guide to modify the OS so it's suitable for the SSD:

http://www.howtogeek.com/97242/how-to-migrate-windows-7-to-a-solid-state-drive/

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

You shouldn't do this as the OS won't be optimised for the SSD. However, if you insist on doing it, here's a guide to modify the OS so it's suitable for the SSD:

http://www.howtogeek.com/97242/how-to-migrate-windows-7-to-a-solid-state-drive/

huh?

OP, you've also got to do some registry tweaks, and if your motherboard supports AHCI, enable it in the BIOS

Please note, if you're not that techy, please avoid using the above tip as you might mess up your mobo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

nucker wrote: »
    huh?

What do you mean huh, SSDs work entirely and completely different to mechanical HDDs so for instance the entire layout of the drive is different as SSDs no longer use platters. Oh and that regular defragmentation that Windows schedules by default, that's really bad for you SSD and is not required. I would also argue that TRIM is essential for keeping your drive operating at it's optimum (oh, and it's also the reason that you really should have a backup of anything and everything important).

Yes you can clone your HDD straight to an SSD but it won't work to it's optimal capacity and you'll likely dramatically decrease the lifespan of your drive.

I don't see anything in the linked article which could possibly cause any harm to the motherboard but good shout on the enabling of AHCI as they didn't mention that.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭paulheu

Get partedmagic from the internet and clone the HDD system partition to the SSD

http://partedmagic.com

Advertisement