Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese PS3. Yay or Nay?

Options
  • 24-02-2013 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭

I may be able to pick up a really cheap Japanese phat PS3. Would I encounter any problems?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

shuffles03 wrote: »
    I may be able to pick up a really cheap Japanese phat PS3. Would I encounter any problems?

Default language? I know setting up a japanese PSN account was a royal pain.
    Power supply?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,420 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As long as you have an NTSC compatible TV and take care with plugging the thing in to your power supply (you'd at least need a three pin power chord) you should be OK. Think you can set it to English handy enough.

The big question is why you'd need it, though. European PS3s offer all the same functionality, including access to the Japanese online store. Games, barring Persona 4 Arena which is due a release here soon, are region free. The only major benefit - or disadvantage depending on yourself - would be the Japanese region BluRay player which would play glorious (and given the price of films in Japan: expensive) imports but not the vast majority of Irish/UK releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

So my g/f's brother currently has my PS3. He's playing Skyrim so I doubt I'll see it for a while yet. I don't want to pay full whack for PS3 but I've found a limited edition Metal Gear Solid Gun Metal grey 40GB phat PS3 online. It's currently only a few quid and I'm watching it intently. If it ends up staying cheap, I was going to nab it.

I'll be looking to use it with my current PSN account/ID. Will I have issues or can I just plug it in and login to my existing account?

I read online that the original PS3 (possibly the Slim as well) is fine with the voltage. I just need a plug converter apparently.

I figured being able to pick up a limited edition PS3 for less than 10" quid would be a pretty sweet deal! Just unsure about PSN and such.

I have an LG HD tv. Would this be fine?

• Advertisement

Someone said online that jap imported consoles work fine on our tv's over here as our tv's support it however, if you were to bring a uk console to Japan, their tv's don't have the function to support it,

Sound about right?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,420 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If you have a HDTV you should be fine.

Just be extremely wary about importing consoles from Japan or the US. Not only will the shipping perhaps significantly surpass the price of the console, you'll likely be hit by import duties too.

It'll be coming from the UK. So all in all, I should be fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It won't play Region B blurays. That's about the only difference

Cool. I'll watch the auction and see what happens. If it gets too high I won't bother.

• Advertisement

The girl selling the PS3 doesn't seem too friendly. I asked her about the box contents and her response was pretty rude. I think she's annoyed nobody's bidding on her item. 2 bids and it's only at €2, no reserve. Her feedback is pretty much 100 per cent except for 3. The 3 that left negative feedback said she didn't want to send out the item once the auction had ended. Something tells me she was pretty peeved she didn't get any bids on these items. She's obv not that good at listing items.

If the bid stays low and I win, she's legally required to send the item right? If there's no reserve and it goes for really cheap, that's her fault as far as I'm concerned.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

She legally doesn't have to send it to you but if you complain to ebay I'm sure they'll take it seriously.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭andymurphy93

The girl selling the PS3 doesn't seem too friendly. I asked her about the box contents and her response was pretty rude. I think she's annoyed nobody's bidding on her item. 2 bids and it's only at €2, no reserve. Her feedback is pretty much 100 per cent except for 3. The 3 that left negative feedback said she didn't want to send out the item once the auction had ended. Something tells me she was pretty peeved she didn't get any bids on these items. She's obv not that good at listing items.

If the bid stays low and I win, she's legally required to send the item right? If there's no reserve and it goes for really cheap, that's her fault as far as I'm concerned.

no she does not have to send it to you
    you can complain about it to ebay but odds are they wont do much about it
    i doubth you will get it for that low 2e wouldnt be worth the effort of packing it and posting it to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I figured being able to pick up a limited edition PS3 for less than 10" quid would be a pretty sweet deal! Just unsure about PSN and such.

She is looking for £30 postage as well, just in case you missed it on the ad.
    Have you confirmed delivery to Ireland for that price?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

I got a jap ps2 years ago....all worked well apart from the fact it only worked in black and white.....

I can send it to my work address in the UK which they can send on to me in Ireland so that's fine.

It won't go for €2. It'll go for more. I'm just pre empting a possibly outcome. It's at €6 already with over a day left so I'd say it'll jump up quite a bit.

It's bollox about not having to pay. If I win, she'll have entered into an agreement (especially if I pay). That's if I do win the bid. We'll see what happens. I hate idiots on eBay that don't know how to sell.

I actually hope the price does jump up quite a bit. It's a rare item, in great condition that I'd like to own.

Anyways, I'll watch the item and see how it goes. In my mind, if you take the chance and list an item so low without a reserve price, you have to take the risk that goes with it.

Anyways, I'll watch the item and see how it goes. In my mind, if you take the chance and list an item so low without a reserve price, you have to take the risk that goes with it.

Hope it goes well for ya.
    Seller sounds like a bit of a chancer.
    This is super rare, you will be very fortunate to find another, let alone a mint condition one.

Okay.
    i will note there is a new black controller being inserted in the box, i dropped the original while making sure everything was there, it was pretty damaged so i threw it away

Hmm.

mikom wrote: »
    Hope it goes well for ya.
    Seller sounds like a bit of a chancer.

Okay.

Hmm.

I saw that too. It does make you wonder. If it ends up going for less than 80, I'll consider it. Any more and I won't

I saw that too. It does make you wonder. If it ends up going for less than 80, I'll consider it. Any more and I won't

Cool.
    Keep us updated.

• Advertisement

i just asked if the console was in 100% working condition. The reply I got was:

"It has been played a handful of times, it is working."

Some documented evidence if it goes pear shaped

i just asked if the console was in 100% working condition. The reply I got was:

"It has been played a handful of times, it is working."

Some documented evidence if it goes pear shaped

Just to let you know............ That second image in the ad showing the machine in all its glory alongside the "grey controller" is taken from a Hungarian PS3 forum......... http://www.sg.hu/galeria/1105991621/11059916211218892682.jpg

Cheers for that. Definitely not getting it. I'll send the seller a message asking for real pics just to see how they respond.

Cheers for that. Definitely not getting it. I'll send the seller a message asking for real pics just to see how they respond.

Better still........... ask is that the actual PS3 in image 2. ;)

Ah damn. Already sent it. Should have done that alright. What's the web address for the Hungarian site? I have a feeling the seller is going to defend their pic.

Ah damn. Already sent it. Should have done that alright. What's the web address for the Hungarian site? I have a feeling the seller is going to defend their pic.

Post number 6 by Foxhound, near the bottom of this page......... http://playstationcommunity.hu/blog/163

I asked if the photo in the second pic was theirs and this is what I got:

"Yes, if it really is that concerning to you, then best you look for something else, i am not offended if that is something you would rather do".

That's the nail in the coffin.

Being defensive for absolutely no reason?..........SCAM.

For final giggles, I've just asked how long they've had the PS3. The blog post is from 2008. I can't wait for the response.

• Advertisement

I asked if the photo in the second pic was theirs and this is what I got:

"Yes, if it really is that concerning to you, then best you look for something else, i am not offended if that is something you would rather do".

That's the nail in the coffin.

Sly fucker.
    What other lies have been told.
    Bang him or her a link to the image for the craic ..... http://www.sg.hu/galeria/1105991621/11059916211218892682.jpg

I reckon you dodged a bullet shuffles03.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement