Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

13 month old dinner ideas

Options
  • 24-02-2013 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

Hey folks ,

We have a 13 month old little girl who has decided that she no longer like the pureed food I was cooking for her. She was eating chicken casserole and beef and veg puree, but now like to feed herself.

These dinners were great to have things made in advance but Im wondering what dinners I can make in advance now that she wants to be able to pick things up herself?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,101 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Steamed veg, carrots, brocali, maybe a few pea's. on the protein front, chicken strips. Crackers with hummus go down well in our house, as well as Philadelphia.
    You can't go wrong with cottage/shepards pie, and lasagne. Both can be frozen and taken out as needed. If she's using a spoon/fork, you're on the pigs back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Chopped up bits of whatever you are having yourself.

Fish/meat with veg and spuds
    Pasta with veg
    Risotto
    Curry
    Stew

Anything and everything.

I shifted how we eat to suit her. We used to eat at around 7, but now we eat as soon as we get in the door at 6pm. 7 is too late for her. I wanted us all to eat together as a family, rather than have seperate meals for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

We used to feed our little one dinner at 12 and then her tea at 6. Id gladly switch that around so that she's eating dinner with us. But what could I give her for her lunch then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

yeah, just cut up whatever you're eating. Obv if it's too spicy - make something else. My kids love korma, and stuff like that. If they're 'feeding' themselves - put a tarp down. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

mashed spuds,turnip,brocolli,stuffing,veg all mixed up with gravy.our 14 month loves it,you'll get 2-3 days dinner out of it.place in a bowl and put cling film round them,then just heat them up as needs be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I agree with pwurple. At this stage she should be eating the same as you. Yes it's messy to let her feed herself but she'll get the hang of it very quickly. I don't see the point in making different 'baby' meals at 13 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

What can't you give a 13 month old, they can have almost anything!!
    Lunch ideas:
    Cheese on Toast
    French Toast
    Scrambled Egg
    Omelette
    Baked Beans
    Variety of Sandwiches

Dinners:
    Whatever You're Having
    Pasta, Broccoli & Chicken (with or without a cheese sauce)
    Sweetcorn, Red Pepper, Pea & Onion Casserole (toddlers love the different colours)
    Chicken Strips in Breadcrumbs
    Salmon Balls
    Chicken & Apple Balls

There really are no limits, I often make up batches of the above dinners & take them out the night before if I know me & my OH are having something not so healthy that I'd rather not feed our son plus I'm not a great veg eater so I wouldn't cook very many varieties for myself but cook them all for my son as I don't want him picking up my bad habit ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We used to feed our little one dinner at 12 and then her tea at 6. Id gladly switch that around so that she's eating dinner with us. But what could I give her for her lunch then?

Give her what you are having for lunch. :)
    Crackers and cheese. Bread dunked in soup. Sandwiches cut into fingers. Fruit. Yoghurt. Salad chopped up into small bits. Anything at all.

What do you eat yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

My little one has always been eating what we eat, but is a terrible eater. Top foods that she loves are tinned fish in oil, drained & mixed with philadelphia. Serve with crackers / non salted bread sticks or on its own, hummus, low salt/low sugar beans again with toast / crackers etc, grapes, blueberries, boiled or scrambled egg. These are all lunches she has. For dinner she loves macaroni cheese, corn on the cob or loose corn & peas, boiled potatoes, chunks of chicken, sometimes she'll eat meatballs, chunks of mince from a bolognaise or chili, likes pasta again thank god & boiled rice. Rarely touches veg anymore unfortunately.

Some nice recipes on www.littlegrazers.ie, http://www.babyledweaning.com/recipes/ , http://www.annabelkarmel.com/recipes

MS2011, the salmon balls & chicken & apple balls sound nice - are the recipes online? I tried the krispie fish fingers from the anabel karmel website the other week - so easy & really yum. I tend to only go for recipes that myself & my partner will eat too, as she's such a fussy eater, I don't want to have to dump an entire meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Oral Slang wrote: »

MS2011, the salmon balls & chicken & apple balls sound nice - are the recipes online?

CHICKEN & APPLE BALLS
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 finely chopped onion
    1 granny smith apple, peeled & grated
    2 breasts of chicken diced
    1/2 tablespoon of parsley
    Pinch of mixed herbs
    1 stock cube, crumbled
    50g breadcrumbs
    Plain flour
    Vegetable oil

Heat the olive oil in a pan & saute half the onions for 3 mins. Using your hands, squeeze the excess liquid from the grated apple. Mix the apple with the chicken, cooked & remaining raw onion, herbs, stock cube & breadcrumbs & roughly chop in a food processor.
    With your hands form into 20 balls, roll in flour & shallow fry until golden brown & cooked through.
    I usually cook 3 at a time for my son & freeze the rest until needed

SALMON BALLS
    1 medium potato
    70g salmon fillet
    Squeeze of lemon
    Knob of butter
    2 spring onions, chopped
    1 teaspoon sweet chilli sauce
    2 tablespoons ketchup
    1/2 mayo
    1 tablespoon flour
    1 eggs, lightly beaten
    50g breadcrumbs
    Vegetable oil for frying

Boil the potato until tender.
    Cook the salmon with the lemon juice & butter in the oven 200C for 20 mins. Flake the fish on a plate & leave to cool.
    Mix the the potato with the spring onion, chilli sauce, tomato ketchup & mayo. Fold in the salmon.
    With your hands form into 10 balls, roll in flour, dip in the egg & roll in the breadcrumbs.
    Shallow fry until golden brown & cooked through.
    I usually cook 3 at a time for my son & freeze the rest until needed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement