Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this the last of consoles as we know ?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 253 ✭✭theidiots

Ps3 and Xbox 360 suck, they run games on low computer settings, graphics are awful on them. More and more people know how to build their own PC's lately and can build a good gaming PC for 450.

Ps3 and xbox are running off 8 year old hardware. PC games are also much cheaper. I can see PCS taking over this especially since now there simple to hook up to HDtvs

Theres also other reasons which i can't say on boards unfortunatly. Its about time that consoles let customers update the hardware, really just release a new graphics card a year or two down the line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

theidiots wrote: »
    Ps3 and Xbox 360 suck, they run games on low computer settings, graphics are awful on them. More and more people know how to build their own PC's lately and can build a good gaming PC for 450.

Ps3 and xbox are running off 8 year old hardware. PC games are also much cheaper. I can see PCS taking over this especially since now there simple to hook up to HDtvs

Theres also other reasons which i can't say on boards unfortunatly. Its about time that consoles let customers update the hardware, really just release a new graphics card a year or two down the line

What has that got to do with ANYTHING?!

Oh, tldr, "PC will take over as games are cheap and it has become easier to use on TVs".

I have a ps1, 2 & 3 aswell as an Xbox 360

I play PC games the odd time but the level of satisfaction I get out of console gaming in incomparable.

All my most memorable gaming experiences, from Crash Bandicoot, NFS Most Wanted, 007 Nightfire to Modern Warfare and Uncharted and Halo will remain with me forever. I know it sounds cheesy but its true. I know the hardware sucks, but I don't care because everyone has the same console. We have the same game. Same controler. There id no getting the "better" console. And I can slump on a bed/couch and play my console, roaring at friends over a mic.

Games on tablets and phones don't pose a threat at all to the industry. How many of you have fond memories of playing Snake on your Blokia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I really do not want to see Consoles go completely digital. It works on PC because it's an open system with lots of competition. On consoles you are tied to one service provider and they can charge what they want. XBLA and PSN are really poor value for money.

If consoles go completely digital then it'll mean that the PC games will as well, and then you have the insanely price EA (and others) digital games.

Competition isn't limited to retail and online stores, there's competition between the games and between the consoles themselves.

There are many games on PC that are limited to one place, as for digital value you get a lot of sales on both PC and console; I got Far Cry 3 cheaper on PSN than it was on the Steam Sale. You don't tend to get the incredibly low prices during the sales such as the full games under €1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,063 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I have a ps1, 2 & 3 aswell as an Xbox 360

I play PC games the odd time but the level of satisfaction I get out of console gaming in incomparable.

All my most memorable gaming experiences, from Crash Bandicoot, NFS Most Wanted, 007 Nightfire to Modern Warfare and Uncharted and Halo will remain with me forever. I know it sounds cheesy but its true. I know the hardware sucks, but I don't care because everyone has the same console. We have the same game. Same controler. There id no getting the "better" console. And I can slump on a bed/couch and play my console, roaring at friends over a mic.

Games on tablets and phones don't pose a threat at all to the industry. How many of you have fond memories of playing Snake on your Blokia?

Today I spent a good 6 hours playing Earthbound on my Snes. I took a break to play some Shinobi X and Guardian Heroes on my Saturn.

My laptop can play modern games. Do I use it for that? Nope, not at all. The odd game of DayZ and some WoT.

Why? I really dunno. I spend all day at work on a PC, spend a lot of time in the evening online...it's nice to close the laptop down and play a game on a completely different piece of hardware.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

I feel games are getting too big and complicated with online compatibilty etc its all becoming daunting for us casual gamers who just want simple fun gaming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

NO!

If that happens, then Consoles are truly dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Polar101

If you can play PS4 games on your phone or handheld console, perhaps the PS5 and Xbox 4 will be 'multimedia devices' rather than games consoles. I'm sure there will still be games made for these devices, but it's hard to see the current "buy a game disc for 60 euro" continuing for much longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Varik wrote: »
    If consoles go completely digital then it'll mean that the PC games will as well, and then you have the insanely price EA (and others) digital games.

Competition isn't limited to retail and online stores, there's competition between the games and between the consoles themselves.

There are many games on PC that are limited to one place, as for digital value you get a lot of sales on both PC and console; I got Far Cry 3 cheaper on PSN than it was on the Steam Sale. You don't tend to get the incredibly low prices during the sales such as the full games under €1.

Thing is that you can buy CD key which works on steam and makes steam sales bad value on newish games. I could pick up far cry 3 on PC for around 15-17eu after month of its release. It's not even sale too.
    Even if it will go fully digital, there are other retailers outside origin and steam. We got uplay now too who announced that will be selling other publishers games too. GoG is slowly creeping up with older games and Indy.
    So even if physical copies will die PC market will be still way better then monopoly on consoles.

I hope consoles don't die - if they do, I will likely not move to PC gaming. I've owned my xbox 360 for about 6 years now - it's great knowing I can buy the newest games without worrying about whether I've the correct specifications, especially since my laptop generally won't. Yes, you can argue that there is a difference in graphics between the PC and the consoles, but as a casual gamer, I really don't care.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Yes, you can argue that there is a difference in graphics between the PC and the consoles, but as a casual gamer, I really don't care.

Well if you saw what a high spec PC is capable of i doubt you wouldnt care anymore :)
    Seriously ive seen grown men jaw`s hitting the floor in shock, ive converted countless guys to PC after they saw what high spec PC is capable of.
    I've owned my xbox 360 for about 6 years now - it's great knowing I can buy the newest games without worrying about whether I've the correct specifications

Its great knowing i can buy any game knowing i have the correct spec.
    Its simple, get a high spec rig and your sorted for many years and no its not as expensive as you might think plus ignore the myth that you constantly need to upgrade.

My son is using my old PC playing the likes of BF3,Crysis2,Far Cry 3 all demanding games @ 1080 medium to max settings on a 5.5 year old PC that has only ever saw ONE upgrade that being a €150 graphics card.

Having said that give me gameplay before eye candy every single time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Yeah...so developers could focus on making more games for PC's. :P

indeed... and no longer dumbing down games for ease of use for console porting...:(

Dcully wrote: »
    Well if you saw what a high spec PC is capable of i doubt you wouldnt care anymore :)
    Seriously ive seen grown men jaw`s hitting the floor in shock, ive converted countless guys to PC after they saw what high spec PC is capable of.

Its great knowing i can buy any game knowing i have the correct spec.
    Its simple, get a high spec rig and your sorted for many years and no its not as expensive as you might think plus ignore the myth that you constantly need to upgrade.

My son is using my old PC playing the likes of BF3,Crysis2,Far Cry 3 all demanding games @ 1080 medium to max settings on a 5.5 year old PC that has only ever saw ONE upgrade that being a €150 graphics card.

Having said that give me gameplay before eye candy every single time.

I have to say the whole " I don't need worry on specs of PC, that's why I go console route " is getting old.
    I already did a post in previous thread about PC specs. All people need to do is just learn very basics things and build their own PC. It's alot easier that people who don't know and don't want to learn make it to look.

PC gaming not going to go anywhere and I am prety sure console gaming won't be gone anywhere after this gen. The more choice we have - the better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

People are talking about iOS and Android games as if they'll kill the market. That's a rubbish argument that doesn't even merit a response. Two completely different markets.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Arcade needs to make a comeback...I have got a mad hankering to spend lots of money 50 cent at a time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The gap between console and PC games will be closed by the end of this year once the PS4 hits the stores. It will inevitably open up again in another 3 or 4 years but for the moment there will be little difference between the two.

Is this the last console? Na the PS3 was meant to be the last console as we know it and that has been shown to be wildly inaccurate.

Will they change? Sure they will we are in the middle of a big shift. Similar to the move from cartridges to CD we are now going from DVD and Blu Ray to digital.

Will they allow upgrades for the consoles? probably not although it is something that was done before for consoles. RAM packs, CD drives and extra memory units have all been released previously for other consoles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

The gap between console and PC games will be closed by the end of this year once the PS4 hits the stores.

Eh, have you even looked at the specs being leaked for the PS4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

nesf wrote: »

yea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

nesf wrote: »

Can't compare console specs and PC specs. It's apples and oranges. Plus all console games are optomized for the hardware they will run on. It' a different animal for PC games and all the different hardware setups to take into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Rezident

Zero chance, still too much money in it even if it's not growing right now.

Look how much money a single release of one game like Call of Duty can make without even being outstanding.

• Advertisement

Can't compare console specs and PC specs. It's apples and oranges. Plus all console games are optomized for the hardware they will run on. It' a different animal for PC games and all the different hardware setups to take into account.

In a way you cant, and in a way you Can.

Those specs are not direct compared to PC specs, but even with given credit of being optimised, those specs cant even sniff at high end pc ( normal high end smart budget one ).

If what, the new gen consoles only will show how huge gap is between PC and Console. Keep in mind that new gen is going to be here in a bit less then a years time.

I am still looking forward of picking up ps4, but jesus feck lads, we got to be realistic here. Just because fella on stage said " its like a pc, but supercharged" Does not mean he says truth. That was 100% marketing line, which i see majority bit in to and ran away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

The gap between console and PC games will be closed by the end of this year once the PS4 hits the stores. It will inevitably open up again in another 3 or 4 years but for the moment there will be little difference between the two.

Is this the last console? Na the PS3 was meant to be the last console as we know it and that has been shown to be wildly inaccurate.

Will they change? Sure they will we are in the middle of a big shift. Similar to the move from cartridges to CD we are now going from DVD and Blu Ray to digital.

Will they allow upgrades for the consoles? probably not although it is something that was done before for consoles. RAM packs, CD drives and extra memory units have all been released previously for other consoles.

the only part of the ps4 thats truly high end is the RAM, the GPU is similar in performance to a 7870 which is a mid end gpu, now if you where to include optimization for static hardware it would probably sit somewhere between a 7870 and a 7950 which are current gen cards,

in a years time there will be a new set of amd/nvidia cards out that smash all the previous cards....in essence if your buying a ps4 thinking its got as much power pound for pound as a high end desktop (i7, 680/7970/titan) youd be wrong, il hopefully be buying a ps4 for sony's great ip's.

what really has me excited about the ps4 is its ram, you could build massive game worlds with that kind of memory aka gta world :D id love if corridor shooters died next gen (doubt it though :()

• Site Banned Posts: 253 ✭✭theidiots

I would consider a 7870 a pretty high end card. But will be outdated two years down the line id say, maybe not

I would consider a 7870 a pretty high end card. But will be outdated two years down the line id say, maybe not

no its mid end, the 79** series are high end.

of course the 7870 will be outdated in a years time when the next mid end range releases, the 8870 or gtx 760 from nvidia will be the next mid range cards

no its mid end, the 79** series are high end.

of course the 7870 will be outdated in a years time when the next mid end range releases, the 8870 or gtx 760 from nvidia will be the next mid range cards

Anyone who has 2500k and at least 7870 gpu can sleep tight and dont worry about their PC being outdated and being outperformed by ps4/next xblender.

There are no new GPUs gen for PC this year. 7870 is a POWERHOUSE to run anything out there. Even cross platform stuff from next gen consoles.

I am still very excited to see how this new Shared Ram system will work out backed up with 8 core CPU. Only few games manage to make 4 cores work efficient on PC, so i wonder if they will manage to pull off 8 cores efficiency.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Far from high end middle of the road at best.

Anyone who has 2500k and at least 7870 gpu can sleep tight and dont worry about their PC being outdated and being outperformed by ps4/next xblender.

There are no new GPUs gen for PC this year. 7870 is a POWERHOUSE to run anything out there. Even cross platform stuff from next gen consoles.

I am still very excited to see how this new Shared Ram system will work out backed up with 8 core CPU. Only few games manage to make 4 cores work efficient on PC, so i wonder if they will manage to pull off 8 cores efficiency.

AMD should be releasing "sea islands" aka 8000 series later this year, and id presume nvidia will have their gtx 700 series as well

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I heard it's only 4 cores with hyperthreading so it's 8 virtual cores. Whatever that means. Could be BS as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Once internet speeds get fast enough cloud gaming will take over. In my opinion that is pretty much a certainty. Online gaming has become a huge part of most games over the last 10 years so I think cloud gaming is the next big step. At the moment the consoles are being sold at a loss to the developers and they make it up from the sale of games so I think the prospect of cloud gaming and its economic benefits from their point of view will be impossible for them to resist.

I'm not sure what it will mean for consoles. They are already moving towards being home media centres as opposed to just gaming consoles so I guess when cloud gaming becomes a reality the lines between a gaming console and a gaming PC will become blurred.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Sure. On Graphics power we have 1.7 TFLOPS (ps4) against 3.7 TFLOPS for a top end ATI Radeon card (the ps4 GPU is Radeon based so we can't use nVidia cards for comparison). Less than half the raw power* of a top end current card (never mind 2014 card). Optimisation will shrink that gap by quite a bit but close it? I sincerely doubt that. My current GPU from the previous generation is around 2.7 TFLOPS for comparison.

*There is more to graphics cards than TFLOPS but it's useful as a rough guide when looking within a family of cards, since Sony is using a Radeon based chip this is a reasonable comparison to draw.

Now, you don't need a top end card from the current generation to have pretty looking games. So I'm not saying that the ps4 graphics will look crap, I imagine that they will look very nice and be more than acceptable for people, especially those who've never gamed on a powerful PC which, let's face it, is most people. But close the gap with PCs? i.e. reach the potential of a high end PC in a year's time when even last generation high end cards are more powerful? I don't think so.

Advertisement