Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A1 since 2006, want to move to A2

• 24-02-2013 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi,

I am hoping someone can help me with my query. I have searched through the previous posts on this issue but can't see an answer to my specific q.

I currently have a full A1 licence which I have had since 2006. I am now living in a new address and will require a bigger bike to make my daily commute that bit easier.

I have not done any IBT training as of yet.

If I want to get an A2 licence what do I need to do?

From the schematic posted on the RSA website it looks as if I just need to do a progression module to move on to the A2 licence. Is this correct?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Yes, you need to take the A2 lp out and do IBT 1,3&5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

What age are you OP? If you are over 24 or will be soon, then you could get an A LP and work from there removing restrictions, otherwise you'll need to do two IBT's if you ever wanna be unrestricted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Ceriousone wrote: »
    Hi,

I am hoping someone can help me with my query. I have searched through the previous posts on this issue but can't see an answer to my specific q.

I currently have a full A1 licence which I have had since 2006. I am now living in a new address and will require a bigger bike to make my daily commute that bit easier.

I have not done any IBT training as of yet.

If I want to get an A2 licence what do I need to do?

From the schematic posted on the RSA website it looks as if I just need to do a progression module to move on to the A2 licence. Is this correct?

Thanks
    If your under 24 then apply for the A2 learner permit then do ibt modules 1, 3 & 5. As you have had a full A1 for over 2 years your instructor can sign you off for a full A2 licence without the need for another test.
    You will need to do ibt regardless to move up the categories.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ceriousone

What age are you OP? If you are over 24 or will be soon, then you could get an A LP and work from there removing restrictions, otherwise you'll need to do two IBT's if you ever wanna be unrestricted.

Yep, over 24. (and have been for a while! ;))

If I go straight for an A LP will I have to do a test on an 'A size' bike?

Roadskill wrote: »
    If your under 24 then apply for the A2 learner permit then do ibt modules 1, 3 & 5. As you have had a full A1 for over 2 years your instructor can sign you off for a full A2 licence without the need for another test.
    You will need to do ibt regardless to move up the categories.

Are you sure about this?

I was hoping that I wouldn't have to do the IBT at all, but clearly I will have to regardless. But if I can get an A2 licence without the need for another test it would be perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Are you sure about this?

I was hoping that I wouldn't have to do the IBT at all, but clearly I will have to regardless. But if I can get an A2 licence without the need for another test it would be perfect.
    Roadskill is 100% correct. And yes some form of IBT you will have to do no matter what.

Thanks for all the replies. Happy enough to do the IBT if i can get an A2 licence.

Thanks for all the replies. Happy enough to do the IBT if i can get an A2 licence.

If you want to move up to an A Licence you'll have to do a second IBT (well, the Mod 5 bit)! I'd say you should just get the A now, do the test whenever you want and be unrestricted from the word go. It's obviously your choice, but it'd be cheaper overall to just get the A LP, just in case you want something bigger than 595 cc in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

If you want to move up to an A Licence you'll have to do a second IBT (well, the Mod 5 bit)! I'd say you should just get the A now, do the test whenever you want and be unrestricted from the word go. It's obviously your choice, but it'd be cheaper overall to just get the A LP, just in case you want something bigger than 595 cc in future.

The A2 category has no max limit on engine cc, just a limit on power output & power to weight ratio.

Roadcraft wrote: »
    The A2 category has no max limit on engine cc, just a limit on power output & power to weight ratio.

Ah, my mistake. Thanks :)

• Advertisement

I get what you are saying, but up until now a 125 has done me just fine. I'll only be moving up to a 250 i reckon, so I can't see myself ever needing to move up to an A licence.

If there are any IBT Trainers on here that are based in Dublin maybe you could send me a PM or post your details here as I'll be looking to book this up. Cheers.

Advertisement