Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House alarm costs

Options
  • 24-02-2013 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

I am in the process of buying a new house. The house is pre-wired for an alarm. I'm trying to do a kind of a vague costing of how much everything I need to get done will cost when I move in. I k is its impossible to tell without specific details how much a house alarm costs to be installed but if anyone could give me a rough guesstimate I'd be very grateful. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Check with the Standards Authority of Ireland and the Private Security Industry Authority. The first will give you details of what's allowed/recommended in the fittings (and possible costs) and the second will have a list of the (now) legally-required licensed list of alarm-fitters for price estimates.

I'd imagine insurance Co's wouldn't give you cover without the second being possessed by the fitter, if they were giving you a reduced quote for having an alarm fitted.

On a side-note try see if the fitter can rig smoke/heat detectors to the system. That way, you and others can be alerted at night in case of fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

+ 1 for the smoke/fire advice but the Op could still install the alarm themself and not mention he has an alarm system to the insurance company . Anyway it's only a €10-€20 discount and if you forget to arm the system they won't cover you .
    Most installers would just tell you it's not worth the discount ....
    But if you are having it installed by an installer it is important to make sure he's licensed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Most installers would just tell you it's not worth the discount ....

That is because it is not.

To have your system serviced will easily take away from any discount you may receive.

Advertisement