Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on building frame in alcove for Wardrobe

Options
  • 24-02-2013 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭

I am looking to build a Wardrobe in an alcove just something simple and not to complicated.

I am a bit stuck with how best to secure the top piece and centre piece of the frame. The centre piece is going to be higher up then the picture below and i am planning on putting a shelf there so that might be easier. I can't get in from either side. The right of the pic is a solid wall and the left is a plasterboard with timber frame behind it if that helps.

A quick pick below of the two pieces. Any ideas or tips on best way to secure these?

frameud.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭slpower01

What are you actually building?? A unit that you are then going to fit into place??, or is this a frame that you'll put doors on it?? its hard to make out from a 2d drawing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Fanny Biscuit

slpower01 wrote: »
    What are you actually building?? A unit that you are then going to fit into place??, or is this a frame that you'll put doors on it?? its hard to make out from a 2d drawing.

I'm building a frame inside the alcove so i can put doors on it and make it into a small Wardrope.The frame in the picture is the frame that i'll be putting the doors on.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Best thing to do would be to build a carcass from sheet material, veneered MDF or melamine chipboard. Build the carcass and the face-frame 2" smaller than the opening and use two tall filler pieces to scribe them to the possibly uneven wall. A face-frame will ensure that the doors will hand evenly and square. Of course if you have more than one shelf and want to put in more than four doors you could put in a few more horizontal frames.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Make your frame up as you planned, just double up on the 3 horizontal members with slightly longer pieces and secure them into the rear of the two side pieces. I would gue and screw the lot together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Can you not screw them from the outside before you fit the frame in.

Sheet material would definitely be a better job alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

The easiest way is to make the frame to close tolerences and then fit it into the alcove.Everything is then nice and square. Try and run the verticals up to the ceiling - it looks better than stopping them to take the horizontals. Lastly you will need to secure the verticals to the alcove walls in some way - metal brackets will work but I tend to make the verticals as an 'L' shape and screw them to the wall.
    If you are asking what joints to use its up to you and your skills. Half lap joints are perfectly strong or you could invest in a pocket hole jig and screw the components together.

Advertisement