Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy with Luxating patella (bilateral)

• 24-02-2013 2:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭

So, our 9mth lab x is lame and loses strength in his hind legs every once and a while. I took him to the vet yesterday, and after examining, he diagnoses luxating patellas in both hind knees.

He is referring us to a doggie-ortho in Cork for surgery.

I was wondering if people here had gone through this with their pet before, and what their experience was with recovery and ultimate fix? Although I trust our vet, declaring surgery after a 5 minute examination seemed a little extreme. From a veterinary point of view, is this dead simple to diagnose, and is surgery the best way to ensure total cure?

Do they do both knees at the same time, or is it two surgeries over a period of time? Anyone had a pup this young go through the surgery?

At this stage, I am more worried about making sure I look after the poor little divil properly after the surgery, as he is an active young pup, and I don't know how I am going to keep him calm for the initial recovery period.

Any advice would be most welcome. I must admit, I hate the fact that he needs surgery, but I want to make sure that he gets the very best attention, and the best possible chance of being a fit and healthy puppy and dog.

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm really worried about all this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OK Firstly you've been referred to the best ortho vet in the country so you have nothing to worry about in that respect. :) He won't operate unless he thinks the pup needs it. For my guy he did one leg and when that was healed the next one was done - not lux. pattella though. When are you seeing him? He's a really nice guy - understands you're worried and will put you at ease. My dog is afriad of most vets but especially male ones after being handled roughly by a male vet elsewhere - Shane was very very patient with him, speaking softly to him etc and didn't make me feel like a terrible owner because he was afraid!

For prep - is the pup crate trained? If not you need to start ASAP because he's going to be spending a lot of time in a crate after surgery. Jebtools.ie for cheap crates! ;) Start feeding all meals in kongs in the crate from now on. Also get a clicker - you can play loads of clicker games with them lying down to wear them out ;). My dog was only allowed out 3 times a day for toilet breaks and was on lead exercise only for until he was 12 weeks post op - If you're letting the pup off lead atm then I's stop. You have to step up to the plate now and be tough - it's hard at first but for the best! Once the first week is over the rest will fly by ;)

Also invest in something for the dog to chew on - stagbars, nylabone etc - I'd avoid actual bones because you'll end up having to change all the bedding in the crate.

Head to pennys and get some kids slipper socks if you have wooden floors/tiles to stop him going skeeting across like Bambi.

Have you a ramp for the car? If not you'll need to think about getting one - unless the car is very very low but I won't risk it for my guy since my jeep is quite high - it's impact on his joints we don't need and the ramp takes seconds to lift in and out.

Lastly what are you feeding him? If it's something that might contain fillers etc that would make him hyper it might be an idea to switch him to something that's a higher quality so he's more relaxed..

Oh another thing :p how is he on lead? If he's a puller start working on his walking now too - pulling on the lead is very very scary when the dog is post OP and also dangerous as they could hurt themselves.

More of my crate rest ramblings are on this thread :phttp://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056367192

Advertisement