Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing modules

Options
  • 24-02-2013 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

In UL, can a student attend whatever course he/she wants to regardless of his/her department? For example, let's say I am studying English literature, but I want to take French courses. Is it possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

You can attend lectures, but you won't be able to take the exams and whatnot.

If you want that kind of freedom with modules you need to look at UCD and their Horizons program.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

marquez wrote: »
    In UL, can a student attend whatever course he/she wants to regardless of his/her department? For example, let's say I am studying English literature, but I want to take French courses. Is it possible?

All (or nearly all) courses have core and elective modules. You must take core modules and you then choose electives from a number (varies depending on numbers and teaching resources) of electives.

If you wish to take modules from outside the above, you'd have to get permission from course directors/module coordinators and then register for them with SAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

In the first week of the semester you want to take the extra class you can get a form from student academic administration which you have to get signed by the department head/student advisor and the lecturer over that module.Then just return it to SAA

• Registered Users Posts: 33 marquez

Thank you for the answers. And do I have the opportunity to take them as non-credit?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 marquez

Subutai wrote: »
    You can attend lectures, but you won't be able to take the exams and whatnot.

If you want that kind of freedom with modules you need to look at UCD and their Horizons program.

Will they not be on my transcript?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

Thank you for the answers. And do I have the opportunity to take them as non-credit?

Yeah you can take them on a pass fail basis and they aren't incorporated into your qca

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

i did this before xmas. It appears on your results sheet along with the other class but does not effect your QCA you just need to get permission form from SAA and the school and teacher involved have to give your permission to take the class.

Advertisement