Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Athlone

Options
  • 24-02-2013 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi there!

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this on, but myself, my husband and children are looking to relocate to Athlone in the next few months but know nothing about the area. As we will be there for at least a few years, we are considering buying instead of renting if we can find a property within our budget, which unfortunately is not very high.

One concern that we have is that we've heard a great deal about there being a large heroin problem in athlone and we were wondering if there were certain areas where we should avoid looking?

Thanks for any advice you may have!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

I recommend you post the question in the Westmeath forum for detailed answers. Saying that, I live in Athlone, (although not in the town centre), and I haven't noticed a heroin problem, not compared to Dublin anyway.
    Why do you want to buy without knowing much about the area? You could rent first, and decide where in Athlone to settle or if you like it. Houses are affordable and generally not getting their asking price and it has continued like this for a while - so what's the rush?
    If you do want to buy and are looking for areas to avoid, just check daft for the super cheap houses and cross ref with street view.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mammydiaries

Hi Rasmus!

Thanks for your reply :) The main reason we were looking to make a decision relatively quickly is that we've moved a few times in the last few years but will be in Athlone for the foreseeable future and with three small children who already have several houses under their tiny belts, we'd like to avoid any uneccessary house moves. If the price and location were right, we'd love to be able to make a relatively quick decision. But obviously this could only be done if the house was not too expensive as we do not want to find ourselves in a situation where we are living in a house we do not like but cannot afford to leave. Thanks for the suggestion re: Westmeath. Dublin does have a heroin problem, but it also has a large population and plenty of areas in which to avoid it. I suppose I worried when I heard about Athlone as to hear so much about a drug problem in a relatively small town was worrisome. Glad to hear from someone there that it may not be as bad as rumours have it. Thank you again for your reply. P.S I'm not on boards much, where do I find the Westmeath area?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

P.S I'm not on boards much, where do I find the Westmeath area?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=940

It all depends on your budget. For a family I'd reccomend Coosan, Arcadia or any of the outlaying areas that are easily accessible by car. I would be reluctant to mention 'bad' areas not being from here but I am sure others in the WH forum will be happy to go into detail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭wesf

I live 10 minutes from Athlone and go to college there and never noticed a drug problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 smirker

Just don't buy a house on the "far side" and you will be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

Avoid Willow Park!! Cypress Gardens does have students from AIT, f you would prefer to not be in a studenty estate.
    Brawny has social housing, not casting a slight on the place, but just making you aware...
    Coosan has some nice estates, some nice enough ones on the connaught side, try get an older house. Have been in some of the newer estates and my god no soundproofing snd draughty.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭apple26

we are currently renting in river village, on the roscommon side of the town and would highly recommend it. great location, just outside of town but yet has everything on the door step. supervalu, athlone springs hotel, gyms, chemist, takeaways, cafes, bus service into town, easy access to the motorway. we previously lived in the coosan area and while it is really nice, there are very little amenities on your doorstep and you will find yourself having to go into town for every little thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 joebo

looking to relocate to Athlone area. please feel free to contact me regards home in Athlone in a much after location thanks

Advertisement