Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ducks the size of horses

Options
  • 24-02-2013 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

I've reading something today which suggested there were ducks the sizes of horses living in Australia about 50,000 years ago.

Any evidence for this? Because my source is questionable - a random facts Facebook feed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Are you fighting them?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Well, yes and no. Technically, they weren't ducks as we know them, but the dromornithidae were huge flightless birds belonging to the anseriformes group (which contains ducks,swans, geese etc.) that lived in Australia at the time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Galvasean wrote: »
    Well, yes and no. Technically, they weren't ducks as we know them,
    But Demon Duck of Doom has a better ring to it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

Yeah, they were the dromornithidae and they were not ducks, although they are classified in the same order (Anseriformes)- according to Wikipedia, the smallest species was as big as a modern day cassowary, which gives you an idea of how huge they were in general.

For actual, bizarre prehistoric ducks you may want to check out the Moa Nalo, which lived in Hawaii until quite recently and were basically giant flightless ducks with turtle-like beaks that occupied the large herbivore niche in the islands. They are often called "giants" but were nowhere as big as dromornithids, being up to 8 kgs for the largest species (Chelychelynechen quassus).

fig-1a.jpg

And as if that wasn´t weird enough, there's also the Talpanas lippa duck which was seemingly flightless, almost blind, had a broad, platypus-like beak, and may have been a nocturnal insectivore similar (in lifestyle) to the modern Kiwi.

talpanas1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

Would you rather fight 100 duck sized horses or 100 horse sized ducks?

• Advertisement

Would you rather fight 100 duck sized horses or 100 horse sized ducks?

I bet duck-sized horses still bite harder :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I saw some ducks that were the size of this horse

t7wX6Cx.jpg

I saw some ducks that were the size of this horse

t7wX6Cx.jpg

Sad midget horse is sad :(

Advertisement