Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stocking Wood Copse, Dublin 16

Options
  • 24-02-2013 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any information about this area, am considering a rental there. Is there local amenitites as in shops. Is the bus service any good, is there a local gym.

Is the travel distance into town ( by bus ) long.

Any info would be appreciated on the area, meant to be signing lease this week but after google maps investigation im a little worried.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

what kind of property and what budget are you looking at? location isnt great...

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭tempura

Two bed apartment 1200 per month ! Its a pretty decent place, in excellent condition but area around looks a bit vacant. Supposed to be a Superquinn nearby, but couldn't seem to find it !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Nice area, bit desolate. Seems a bit of a steep price for the location. You can get two beds for less, a lot closer to the city.

I find it funny its marked as Rathfarnham as well, somebody needs to tell Knocklyon and Ballyboden to get out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

yeah not a chance i would pay E1200 for them. Where will you be working? is there a particular reason your looking at this development? the below is nice, asking same price and in far better location...

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1312458

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

€1,200 is a crazy price for a two bed in Stocking Wood.
    +Scenic/pretty location (if you ignore the buildings)
    -Very remote
    -While there are excellent bus services nearby, you're talking 50-75 minutes to get to town.
    -Lack of amenities within walking distance
    -Lack of amenities in general
    -Development still has a feel of desertion to it
    -€1,200 will comfortably get you a nice recently built two bed in vastly better locations across the city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

^^What these guys say.

Dunno about the price as I'm not in that market, but €1200 does seem a bit mad for a 2-bed. Maybe a 3-bed townhouse at that price.

It's relatively remote if you're relying on the bus. There's a bus going right by the estate which leaves frequently, but goes around the world on its way into town, so takes a while. 45 minutes on a good day. Anything up to 90 minutes in heavy traffic. There's a more direct bus into town if you walk ten minutes to the bus stop.
    There's a Spar, takeaway, off licence & pharmacy within 15 minutes walk (if you shortcut through Woodstown)

There is a LIDL going in on Oldcourt Road which will be a 20/25 minute walk.

The Stocking Wood development itself is effectively half-finished with a number of empty houses and overall very sparse landscaping. To the east and west is all wasteland which was earmarked for development and to the north is another half-finished development. Aside from the great view of the city and the mountains, the immediate land around you feels quite desolate.

There is no "local" gym. The closest thing that even resembles a gym is a curves above the Spar.

If you're happy enough to hop on a bike to get around to local amenities, then the place is fine. But not for €1,200 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 asho88

anybody living in stocking wood willing to do carpool to tescos once a week? i just moved to dublin new job just moving to stocking wood early july 2013 dont know anybody

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

€1200 a month for a place like that halfway up the mountains with zero amenities is insane. There's much better value out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

my mates got a 2 bed duplex in hunterswood (beside stocking wood) for 1000pm recently

• Registered Users Posts: 4 asho88

i willbe paying 400 pm for large double bedroom anybody else renting?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

asho88 wrote: »
    i willbe paying 400 pm for large double bedroom anybody else renting?

Have you committed to taking the room? If you haven't I'd seriously reconsider. Having just moved to Dublin and with no transport of your own, you're going to be isolated. Getting home from a night out in town could be troublesome and expensive. I think you'd still have a bit of hike from the nitelink stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

WildRosie wrote: »
    Have you committed to taking the room? If you haven't I'd seriously reconsider. Having just moved to Dublin and with no transport of your own, you're going to be isolated. Getting home from a night out in town could be troublesome and expensive. I think you'd still have a bit of hike from the nitelink stop.

Yep, the 49N will only drop you at the bottom of the Firhouse Road, there's a long walk up towards Stocking Well from there. Winter can be a curse too, I lived up there in 2010 and the buses couldn't come up for close to a week because of the snow.

Advertisement