Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boat And Engine Prices?

Options
  • 24-02-2013 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

What kind of money should i be paying for a 2nd hand boat and engine in good nick? looking for a 17 foot lake boat.

And an engine to match any recommendations as to what make to look for/hp? i am lucky to find myself in the position to be able to buy a boat an engine this year. i want something i can use on midland lakes but maybe the odd day to western lakes as well. i don't really have any idea of prices all i no is i don't want to get rode with prices. any help would be most grateful at all:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

did you try donedeal.ie? ive seen some boat/engine deals on there, as for fishing the west would you not just hire one there? i do for 2 reasons mainly, 1 its not worth the hassle dragging a boat down those roads and 2 at least you are putting something back into the local economy there,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

yea i did theres one 17 foot boat on it and its 1100 euro i suppose i just want guidance from people on here what an ok price for one would be. and as for engines i would not have a clue have much they are going for.. i have used a few Suzuki and Yamaha while renting out boats but that's as far as i my knowledge:D

I would disagree i would think it would be worth it to have one in the long term as having to rent one up there would make the whole process that more expensive:D.. i would not mind towing it that far its only 100 miles:D but thanks for the heads up:D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Boats can be bought for next to nothing what you are really paying for is the engine and here you should spend as much as you can to get the best engine up in the years and if posable with a service history. If you don't know engines bring someone along with you that does to look over it also take into account the price of having the engine serviced and a replacement impeller put in when you get it just to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bribren2001

€1000 - €1200 is about the price of a good second hand boat.engines can be expensive ,not too sure on prices. Your also going to need a trailer for heading west.

A days fishing gets very expensive when you have to go hire a boat with say €20 diesel for the car down,€20 petrol for the engine,€30 to hire a boat.€10 for say something in the shop.expensive days fishing.

if your driving 100miles you'll spend as much on fuel for the car towing a boat as you will renting one especially if its a petrol car :D ...and i know the locals would appreciate you more if you spend a few bob in their town/village etc...some frown on regular visitors bringing their own boats! and i know a slipway onto mask was blocked with big rocks at one point! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

oh stop sure its just unreal the prices of boat to rent on ennel this year its 60 euro for a boat and engine for 9 hours where would ya be going paying that:D ..thanks for the advice mate but i will still be bringing my own boat and engine there is a rescission on i have to worry about myself first and supporting locals would be the least of my worry's thanks for the advice though:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

bayliner wrote: »
    if your driving 100miles you'll spend as much on fuel for the car towing a boat as you will renting one especially if its a petrol car :D ...and i know the locals would appreciate you more if you spend a few bob in their town/village etc...some frown on regular visitors bringing their own boats! and i know a slipway onto mask was blocked with big rocks at one point! :)
    I think that was over the spread of zebra mussels....too late for that now though.

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    oh stop sure its just unreal the prices of boat to rent on ennel this year its 60 euro for a boat and engine for 9 hours where would ya be going paying that:D ..thanks for the advice mate but i will still be bringing my own boat and engine there is a rescission on i have to worry about myself first and supporting locals would be the least of my worry's thanks for the advice though:D
    60euro is madness! especially on ennel..that on top of a permit!!! i wouldnt bother at all:)

60euro is madness! especially on ennel..that on top of a permit!!! i wouldnt bother at all:)
    I have payed 60 on mask....that was just for the boat....we used our own engine.

I think that was over the spread of zebra mussels....too late for that now though.
    not a bit, they might tell you that, it was all to do with boat hire, or the lack off, got it from a local who would know:D, it was only cleared after an article from a well known fisherman/reporter brought it up in the media

• Advertisement

not a bit, they might tell you that, it was all to do with boat hire, or the lack off, got it from a local who would know:D, it was only cleared after an article from a well known fisherman/reporter brought it up in the media
    It was also in Pike and Predators mag....Neville Fickling did an article on pike fishing in the west..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I recently sold a 17ft Sheelin Boat on a trailer with an 8hp Johnson engine for €2,400. All were in excellent condition so that should give you some idea.

Linky

I recently sold a 17ft Sheelin Boat on a trailer with an 8hp Johnson engine for €2,400. All were in excellent condition so that should give you some idea.

Linky
    Excellent lake boats...
    I have one that's built from a sheelin hull, it is very sturdy on the water.

I have payed 60 on mask....that was just for the boat....we used our own engine.
    really? i never paid more than 30 there!

Do ye still hire them from that auld lad in clonbur??

Do ye still hire them from that auld lad in clonbur??

no last few yrs got them from eddie lynch in the hotel,

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Ray1964

For what it's worth when I bought my lake boat a few years ago all the experts recommended a 19ft boat against a 17ft one. The main reason given is that it is a safer boat in choppy waters. I have a 5hp engine for the smaller lakes and I have a 15hp for Corrib, again for safety reasons. You can not be too careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

no last few yrs got them from eddie lynch in the hotel,

Sound man Eddie!
    Ray1964 wrote: »
    For what it's worth when I bought my lake boat a few years ago all the experts recommended a 19ft boat against a 17ft one. The main reason given is that it is a safer boat in choppy waters. I have a 5hp engine for the smaller lakes and I have a 15hp for Corrib, again for safety reasons. You can not be too careful.

For the bigger lakes a 19ft boat is definitely a better idea. If a wind blows up while you're out you could be facing into a serious swell to get back home, the extra couple of feet makes a lot of difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭huntsman77

Ray1964 wrote: »
    Do ya find 5hp power full enough for 19ft even on a rough day

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭ROSSKI

Quote: Ray1964

huntsman77 wrote: »

+1 to the above post I would definitely go for a 19ft Sheelin instead and even better again the wide beam 19ft sheelin with one plank higher. There's one on donedeal for €1600 I think but shop around its a buyers market.

Personal preference but I would prefer at least an 8 hp engine on a 19ft- the few extra horses would be handy if things ever got hairy !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭ROSSKI

Quote: Ray1964

huntsman77 wrote: »

+1 to the above post I would definitely go for a 19ft Sheelin instead and even better again the wide beam 19ft sheelin with one plank higher. There's one on donedeal for €1600 I think but shop around its a buyers market.

Personal preference but I would prefer at least an 8 hp engine on a 19ft- the few extra horses would be handy if things ever got hairy !!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭deeperblue11

Excellent lake boats...
    I have one that's built from a sheelin hull, it is very sturdy on the water.

great boats.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    What kind of money should i be paying for a 2nd hand boat and engine in good nick? looking for a 17 foot lake boat.

And an engine to match any recommendations as to what make to look for/hp? i am lucky to find myself in the position to be able to buy a boat an engine this year. i want something i can use on midland lakes but maybe the odd day to western lakes as well. i don't really have any idea of prices all i no is i don't want to get rode with prices. any help would be most grateful at all:D

I'm just selling one (17 feet sheelin with 6hp suzuki - can be seen on water) i done some research to match my price to market and you basically looking for around 2-2,5k for 2nd hand (2yrs ago paid nearly 3k). PM if you interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭deeperblue11

buy your self a standard 19foot sheelin. great boat. dont bother with the sheelin charger(the wide one with the extra plank) its too hard on petrol. i have both and the standard is fine. you wont be out on a day that shows the difference!!!
    also it is only a plank extra because it wider. it does not sit higher in the water.

as for the engine size buy an 8hp. the fifteen is stupidly heavy, and im talking about the 2 stroke! also the 9 or 9.9 is not much lighter.
    only difference in a 9 or 9.9hp and the 15hp is the carb. an 8 is lots and can push a standard 19 sheelin along fine.
    expect to get a good 19 for 11-14 hundred.
    you can get an 8hp on donedeal for less than 800euro. go for a yamaha or a mariner that was built before 1990 as they have a yamaha engine.
    yamaha called their engines destined for the american market mariners, probably something to do with pearl harbour ?
    around 1990 mercury took over the manufacture of mariner engines and they are all ****e since then.

good luck.

Advertisement