Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.223 ideas

Options
  • 24-02-2013 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Im buying a .223 rifle and was looking for suggestions on what to buy and pros and cons please.

new or second hand. something without a stainless barrel as i find i get a glare in the scope when lamping mith my .17 hmr

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

What's your price range?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

Tikka T3. .... That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 guerrilla podge

dev110 wrote: »
    What's your price range?
    roughly 1200 mite be able to push it out a bit more tho

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Ghost.

For €1200 you can have your pick of .223s. My advice is buy a second hand one and put the money saved to a quality scope.There are lots of quality .223s around in dealers now.

You could get a CZ 527 Kevlar varmint new at that money. Great rifle and doesn't have a stainless barrel. Or better again pick up a second hand one and put the rest towards a good scope.

i was thinking about goin with the cz kevelar havent come across one in dealers yet s/h seen one for 1200 alrite new online. havent gotten to hold one yet. was also looking at ruger m77 hawke eye it was second hand nice rifle but dealer sold it since :(

only others i was thinking about was rem 700 or tikka.
    tikka seem big bucks tho.

what the weights like on the cz?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Your options, new, are limited as you need to take into account a safe, scope, rings, mounts, etc. This all reduces your 1,200 price tag to about 600 - 750 max for the rifle. If you have the safe, etc then your budget goes up.

I would go second hand. Plenty of them out there, and for €1,200 you could pick up a lovely rifle, in mint condition with scope, rings, and even a suppressor. Your options for makes would be;
    • Remington
    • CZ
    • Tikka
    • Savage
    • Marlin
    • Sabatti

For me it would go;
    • Tikka
    • CZ
    • Remmy/Savage
    • etc.

Other makes such a Sako are excellent, but can cost more for a second hand rifle than some other brands go for new.
    Had the CZ kevlar. Nice gun, good stock, and a tack driver of a rifle. Mag was a bit fiddly, and the action not as smooth as Tikka.

The Tikka are less money than the Kevlar, but a little more than the standard CZ. They can run between 750 - 1250 for most models and all the way up to 1900 for the T3 tactical.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

@ cass

thanks for that already hve a marlin .17 i find some of their finishing a little crude the mag in particular. often had jams while trying to reload to shoot the double rabbit very annoying. so il prob stay away from them for a 223 wouldnt want that happenin on foxes:)

havent ordered the scope yet but have one already picked out for good money have to get it imported.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

What about a HOWA rifle .
    Cheaper than most of the above new and better in many ways to remington &CZ ,imo .
    Regards,Tomcat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

The great selling point about Howa guns is the incredible mix-and-match ability - enables you to mix up almost every element of the gun design and get exactly what you want. We have such a rifle here at our club that shoots under half-an-inch with four different bullets...one load put five in a single raggedy hole ay 100m - shot by a twelve year old. That's amazing performance for a cheap gun and a real smack in the eye for anybody who has just paid out twice as much for a big name.

tac

The CZ 527 Varmint is a little heavy, but I never found it too much that I couldnt carry it around ok on a good sling when out lamping.

If weight is an issue and its mainly for lamping you want it maybe you would be better served geting the CZ 527 american or lux, they are a lot lighter, a bit cheaper and for your first 3 shots just as accurate.
    If you plan on punching targets and firing long strings thats where the heavier barrel will benefit you.

If its lamping you are doing then any of the brands Tikka, CZ, Remington, Howa will give you the degree of accuracy you need. Just pick a gun you like the feel of best.

• Advertisement

Ghost. wrote: »
    The CZ 527 Varmint is a little heavy, but I never found it too much that I couldnt carry it around ok on a good sling when out lamping.

If weight is an issue and its mainly for lamping you want it maybe you would be better served geting the CZ 527 american or lux, they are a lot lighter, a bit cheaper and for your first 3 shots just as accurate.
    If you plan on punching targets and firing long strings thats where the heavier barrel will benefit you.

If its lamping you are doing then any of the brands Tikka, CZ, Remington, Howa will give you the degree of accuracy you need. Just pick a gun you like the feel of best.
    planning on alot of lamping alright. but im also considering on getting into target shooting also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭TriggerPL

planning on alot of lamping alright. but im also considering on getting into target shooting also

Then a rem 700 is what ur looking for that way you can modify anyway you like with all the extras

TriggerPL wrote: »
    Then a rem 700 is what ur looking for that way you can modify anyway you like with all the extras
    is it harder to modify the others for that type of shooting or why you say this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭TriggerPL

The 700 is one of the most modifiable gun out there , different stocks barrels triggers bits and bobs .

Or go with savage arms accurate out of the box
    Tikka t3
    Steyr pro hunter there all options
    But none as transferable as the 700

One thing to remember that all that tinkering and upgrading costs money. So if you go down the road of getting a remington 700 and pimping it out so it shoots well you will probably blow well past your budget of €1200 very quick.

Ghost. wrote: »
    One thing to remember that all that tinkering and upgrading costs money. So if you go down the road of getting a remington 700 and pimping it out so it shoots well you will probably blow well past your budget of €1200 very quick.
    well it will prob be a bit down the road before i will do that anyway because of the funds

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

That's why cass's idea of finding a second-hand rifle that has most of what you think you want already paid for and amortised is a good plan.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

I've a Tikka tactical myself and love it other than the weight.

Very accurate guns.

There is a 'new' second hand one on here within your budget, might be worth looking at. I have nothing to do with the seller BTW, just think its a bargain.

Tikkat3 wrote: »
    I've a Tikka tactical myself and love it other than the weight.

Very accurate guns.

There is a 'new' second hand one on here within your budget, might be worth looking at. I have nothing to do with the seller BTW, just think its a bargain.
    cheers man. well im going to look at a cz 527 on friday fully kitted out jus not sur of the sope details yet i know its a zeiss it all second hand and supposed to bet as good as new

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

cheers man. well im going to look at a cz 527 on friday fully kitted out jus not sur of the sope details yet i know its a zeiss it all second hand and supposed to bet as good as new

No bother, bring someone with you that can give you some help on checking out the wear on the rifle too.

CZ are brilliant and reliable too so if you get the right gun for you, its the right gun full stop.

Best of luck with it too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

I seen remington 223 vs Tikka in same caliber. Tikka will put remington to shame in accuracy. If buying second hand check the crown for pitting. I know of guys who leave their mods on all the time causing the muzzle crown to rust leaving pitting. I also had a Remington. Never again. European rifles are the best and don't care what anyone says. Remmys jam, Tikkas dont, remmy has a rough action where the Tikka's is silk. Tikka Lite is nice, short and light and factory threaded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭lb1981

you wont go wrong with tikka, i have the .223 laminate stainless and I'm trading up to a .243 and I'm sticking with tikka ,it never let me down is is super accurate straight out of the box at the ranges i need it for

You will get glare back off a black mod and barrel aswel as a stainless so dont limit yourself on that reason.

looed at that cz i didnt lke the feel of it action seemed very rough but he had a rugger m77 hawke eye there also and i really liked it and it was a rifle i had in my mind already. i had done a bit of research on them and could find to many complaints about them. and seem to be very accurate guns and they have changed te trigger system to a new design. the old trigger seem to have given bother but everybody seems happy with the new lc6 system that they have designed.

i put a deposit on it so fingers crossed.

it is second hand fully kitted out. with bi pods a zeiss duralite scope 3-12*50 scope on it and had a t8 silencer but a got him to change that to a new sonic. as i dont like t8s .they cant be opened and cleaned and corrode from the inside out. it happened a mate of mine.

any toughts????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

roughly 1200 mite be able to push it out a bit more tho

Have you any dosh aside from the 1200 for a scope, rings, mount, and ammo?

If you can swing the Tikka, do so. However, if you are going to stretch the 1200 for a rifle, scope, rings, and mount, I doubt the Tikka will happen.

I have a 700 SPS and a 1500 Howa. I like the 1500 and would recommend it. I think the 1500 is smoother and wins out of the box, but the 700 gets better and wins over time.

FISMA wrote: »
    Have you any dosh aside from the 1200 for a scope, rings, mount, and ammo?

If you can swing the Tikka, do so. However, if you are going to stretch the 1200 for a rifle, scope, rings, and mount, I doubt the Tikka will happen.

I have a 700 SPS and a 1500 Howa. I like the 1500 and would recommend it. I think the 1500 is smoother and wins out of the box, but the 700 gets better and wins over time.
    yeah was told to stay away from those howas not ment to last so stayed away put the deposit on the ruger

Advertisement