Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house at Auction - help!!

Options
  • 24-02-2013 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

We are interested in a house that is coming up for auction but are total newbies to the whole world.... all help and advice will be appreciated!
    (first time buyers and first time auction-goers) :eek:

Anything about how auctions work, etiquette, bidding, things to be aware of etc would be great

Hope someone out there can help us! :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Bids are binding at an auction. If the hammer goes down you buy.

My advice is
    1. Get a survey done before the auction
    2. Have a solicitor look at the sales pack before the auction
    3. Pick a bid price and do NOT go over this
    4. Get someone to bid for you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Auctions are no joke. You really should know what you are about before you go there. If you're willing to put down a quarter of million euro on a house at auction, you really should have some experience with auctions prior to that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'd echo the advice in BabysCoffee's post- especially the bit about getting someone else to bid for you. Auctions are emotionally charged events- you will get caught up in the moment, you *need* to have someone else bid for you- its the only way of making sure you don't make very expensive mistakes. Even if this house is wonderful- it doesn't make sense to pay over the odds, and another just as nice house will come up again, sooner or later- so seriously- get someone else to bid for you, and ensure you stick to a maximum bid that you're comfortable with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

You may be able to leave your max bid with the auctioneer, and have him bid in set amounts up to this???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭Villa05

Council houses in Limerick went for over 100k at auction recently, crazy money

Have a good read of this article
    http://www.independent.ie/business/how-to-get-burned-at-a-firesale-29084929.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭Villa05

Bids are binding at an auction. If the hammer goes down you buy.

My advice is
    1. Get a survey done before the auction
    2. Have a solicitor look at the sales pack before the auction
    3. Pick a bid price and do NOT go over this
    4. Get someone to bid for you

3. is very important. I must add that all of the above will cost you money. You need to be prepared to loose this money if the bidding goes over your chosen bid.

Advertisement